Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corsairkid

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
So I bought my MBP 13" on Monday and declined applecare when I purchased my computer. I read that I can buy applecare anytime during the first year...is this correct?

If so, is it worth paying the $1XX for it? (Can't remember actual cost with student discount)

What exactly does it cover? If I buy it the last day of the 1-yr time period, would the coverage last longer than say if I bought it today?

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

diablo2112

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
Much-covered topic here. Search will reveal dozens of threads. Consensus is yes, this particular extended warranty is worth it because 1) Apple provides excellent service, and 2)repairs are pricey when needed, and 3)enough seems to go wrong in the 1-3 year time frame that this service will pay for itself.

No, you won't extend your coverage by buying late. Applecare extends the 1-year warranty and additional 2 years.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
There are about zillion threads about this already

Some people thinks it is, other don't. I find it to be cheap price for peace of mind and any repair will cost more than the AppleCare so IMO it is. It doesn't matter when you buy/activate it within the first year as it will increase the warranty from one year to three years after the date of purchase/delivery

Cavanboy18

macrumors regular
May 29, 2009
they're nice laptops but have certain tendencies for something odd to happen i recommend it you dont wanna be stuck with a paperweight for a hefty bill after a year. hard drives tend to die and are free of charge to be replaced under applecare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.