Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

16:9 on the iPad

• Yes

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 125 91.2%

• Total voters

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
Anyone want to see 16:9 on the iPad? I do mostly because of movie watching. I don't want to see the black bars and I don't want to cut the top and bottom half off. Steve works at pixar right? Shouldn't he know of this stuff.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
For the average user a lot of iPad usage is in portrait orientation for which 4:3 is a good shape. So I don't think it will happen.

Greg

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Just like it isn't used on any Apple products. I just hate when they say "you can tap to see the movie full screen". Well thats true but you still get a bit of it cut off. What's so great about that?

4:3 is a good ratio for the general usage Tablet like the iPad. Different form factors like desktops and laptops can use different ratios because: they have more pixels to make up for it and a larger area to display other elements.

As for the movie thing, I totally agree. The screenshot of the iPad with the Star Trek movie, is terrible, no one would watch a movie like that.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Just like it isn't used on any Apple products.
you seem to be of the opinion that the iPad is like every other apple device? it isnt. its a new type of device, there is no need to conform to those types of standards of desktops etc

I just hate when they say "you can tap to see the movie full screen". Well thats true but you still get a bit of it cut off. What's so great about that?
that is a bit annoying, doesnt bother me though. :) personal preference i guess

As for the movie thing, I totally agree. The screenshot of the iPad with the Star Trek movie, is terrible, no one would watch a movie like that.
i just watched 4 episodes of a 720p TV show on the thing with the black bars. u dont even notice if its a good show ;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
16:9 tablets in portrait mode feel utterly stretched and far too elongated. As majority use their tablet in this ratio / rotation it seems far better to go for 4:3 than 16:9

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
16x9

First of all, 16x9 is a TV format. Many movies on BluRay have black bars too because they are wider than 16x9. A lot of us have spent the majority of our lives watching movies that were filmed in 1.85 (wider than 16x9) cropped for 4x3 TV. If the program is engaging (worth watching) then you won't be thinking about black bars or cropping.

16x9 screen would not be ideal for web browsing and ebook reading. I think watching video is just a small part of the iPad experience and therefore will not dictate the aspect ratio. For the majority of iPad users, video is low on the list of things for which they will use their iPad.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Anyone want to see 16:9 on the iPad? I do mostly because of movie watching. I don't want to see the black bars and I don't want to cut the top and bottom half off. Steve works at pixar right? Shouldn't he know of this stuff.

You probably should wait until the iPad 37 comes out. It's going to have a metamorphosis screen, i.e. the screen size will adapt itself to the App you're running and the movie you're watching.

In the meantime I'll enjoy my movies on iPad screen: Do the movies have black bars? - Of course they have. - Do the movies look gorgeous? - Of course they do. :D

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
I'm sure Ive and his team debated this very topic, and I'm glad they saw sense, and went for 4:3.
16:9 is good only for video. It sucks for everything else. Browsing would suck, in either orientation of 16:9 - pages would be too wide and shallow in landscape and too tall and narrow in portrait.
Books would suffer the same problems, as would games and a lot of other apps.
4:3 is te perfect compromise for everything, and I'm surprised other companies haven't realised this yet.
:apple:

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
16:9 is only useful to watch 16:9 movies, or unless you only take photos in 16:9 aspect ratio. Besides, a 16:9 tablet will have a more elongated shape, not as compact as 4:3 aspect ratio.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
Movie watching is fine. I see nothing wrong with it. And when I go full screen, I rarely do, I see no black bars.

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
I find 16:9 laptop displays more annoying than not for most things. On a small Macbook, if the dock's not off to the side, you end up with a relatively narrow strip of screen for web viewing, for example.

How are magazines going to look at 16:9?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

So the iPad is about 7.75" wide now. Do you want the width reduced from 5.8" to 4.4" making the iPod smaller?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.