Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Here is my honest and unbiased opinion on the Wrapsol Original iPhone 4 scratch proof protection system. Pics below.

Rating system 1 poor - 5 excellent

Ease of installation: 3 Installation of the front and back pieces was actually very easy. It is a wet application. Simply spray solution on your finger tips and on the adhesive side of the protector, apply, slide into place, and squeegee. The wet application is much more forgiving compared to dry. Why did it get a 3? Side pieces were poorly designed and required stretching to fit into place. The combination of wet application (small pieces don't stay put when still wet), all the stretching, and the poor fit make the side pieces almost impossible to apply straight.

Quality: 2 Front and back pieces fit fine and as mentioned above the side pieces suck. The front screen protector has a light but very noticable orange peel effect. I don't want the stuff on my car paint, and i don't want it on my beautiful iPhone. The front protector also has some defects. There are two very noticeable vertical lines. Wrapsol suggests letting the skin sit to self heal, but it has not healed after a week.

Also worth mentioning. Upon opening my package, it looked like someone just got done shaving and forgot to wash up. There was a bunch of tiny bits of hair (as well as some cardboard bits and other debris) stuck to the edges of the screen protectors. Very poor quality control.

On a positive note, the back matte skin is beautiful.

Value: 2 MSRP is $24.95 plus $4.95 shipping. I would consider this a mediocre (border line poor) value. Poor design and fit of the sides make it a hassle to install and it will likely fall off with regular use. In fact some pieces are already starting to peel. Front protector is almost worthless (to me) due to the orange peel and defects. The only thing i would consider keeping is the rear matte protector. However at a total price of $29.90, it is simply not worth it. I would consider buying a rear matte protector if they sold it individually for less than $10. There is a 20% discount code available if you search hard enough, but i feel it is unfair to factor this because most buyers will not know of this discount.

Notes If it wasn't for the dropped calls and data hang-ups, i wouldn't bother with installing the side pieces. The stainless steel trim/antennae are not prone to scratching and they are the only durable pieces of the phone.

I will be returning the Wrapsol. Next up i will be trying the SGP Incredible Shield Ultra Matte. Look for that review shortly.

crapsol1.jpg

crapsol2.jpg

crapsol3.jpg

crapsol4.jpg

crapsol5.jpg

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
The back looks great but the front looks like a calm pond with all those ripples.. I'm glad I asked for a refund instead of trying the original instead.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Why don't you get a replacement and review a set that wasn't ruined? And there's no such thing as an "unbiased" opinion. :p

Atenza6

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
Miami
Well that looks like crap. At least the back looks good. But for that price you would expect the whole product to look excellent. I definatly want a matte skin for the back of my iphone so that whenever I put a clear case on like the switcheasy nude, griffin reveal etc. there wont be any nasty watermarks like what happens with my BSE skin. Im probably going to shoot for the phantom skins matte back since they offer in by inself and cheaper than the crapsol LOL. But seriously, I like the wrapsol for my 3gs and from my experience they are a good company. Thanks for the review, you made up my mind.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Why don't you get a replacement and review a set that wasn't ruined? And there's no such thing as an "unbiased" opinion. :p

I don't get it... :confused: How was this Wrapsol "ruined"? And how is my opinion biased? I was actually quite excited waiting for my Wrapsol to arrive, it was a big letdown.

SmittS

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
lol. I posted in the other thread that my Ultra had hairs on it and yellow frog told me I was full of crap. I requested an Original as a replacement and it sucks that people are having issues with it as well. Do you have any issues with the flash? It looks like your film is a little close to the flash. My Ultra was dead center and it caused pictures with the flash to have the blue blob in the middle. Yellow frog said I was full of crap on that one too.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
OP- I don't doubt your experience one bit and your review is greatly appreciated.

However. I have the Wrapsol original and love it. My packaging didn't have any nasty hairs and the installation was a breeze. All of the pieces to it seem firmly in place and don't show any signs of wear and tear. Nothing is peeling up. I would agree that the included screen protector sucks ass but everything else about the Wrapsol is great. The packaging is awesome also. Very clever and also ecofriendly. The spray bottle they give you for the application is glass, not plastic. They include an automotive-grade microfiber towel which is also very welcome.

I've also received many compliments on the way my Wrapsol original looks on my phone.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Any chance you could review the Invisible Shield?

To tell you the truth, i would probably never touch a Zagg InvisibleShield. The InvisibleShield has pretty bad "orange peel", its almost ludicrous to install such an ugly product on a beautiful piece of art.

lol. I posted in the other thread that my Ultra had hairs on it and yellow frog told me I was full of crap. I requested an Original as a replacement and it sucks that people are having issues with it as well. Do you have any issues with the flash? It looks like your film is a little close to the flash. My Ultra was dead center and it caused pictures with the flash to have the blue blob in the middle. Yellow frog said I was full of crap on that one too.

When i opened the packaging, i was amazed at the lack of quality control. Everything was slapped together. I do think the packaging and its design is nice, but it seemed like everything was thrown together.

I didn't notice any problems with the flash.

OP- I don't doubt your experience one bit and your review is greatly appreciated.

However. I have the Wrapsol original and love it. My packaging didn't have any nasty hairs and the installation was a breeze. All of the pieces to it seem firmly in place and don't show any signs of wear and tear. Nothing is peeling up. I would agree that the included screen protector sucks ass but everything else about the Wrapsol is great. The packaging is awesome also. Very clever and also ecofriendly. The spray bottle they give you for the application is glass, not plastic. They include an automotive-grade microfiber towel which is also very welcome.

I've also received many compliments on the way my Wrapsol original looks on my phone.

Different strokes for different folks. Glad you like the Wrapsol. I would have to agree that the packaging is very nice and catchy looking and eco friendly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.