Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomaki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Hello all.

I've been using a plain white Macbook for about 3 years now, and while I absolutely love all the details that OS X and mac hardware design offers, I'm a bit dissappointed about the hardware quality and durability. The thing is, this laptop of mine is totally crapping out after 3 years of use. Macs are hardly cheap and getting only three years out of a single machine priced like a mac is not very good deal imho. Because of this I'm really really iffy about shelling out money for a new mac laptop. Especially MBP's which cost considerably more. But on the other hand I really like most of the system because it's so well thought of and going back to a Windows or Linux machine just feels rather repulsive.

So my question is: Are Macbook Pro's more durable than these plastic Macbooks so I could rationalize speding big bucks? I wouldn't want to get a 2000 euro laptop that fails me after just a couple of years like this one.

PS. I've never even dropped my laptop nor I slam it when I put it on the desk. Despite this the bluetooth device disappears occationally, the machine crashes randomly and apparently the hard drive beeps and freezes the whole machine every now and then. Also one usb-port has died. I can't think of any other reason than either the HW is ****, or the plastic chassis isn't protective enough.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Hello all.

I've been using a plain white Macbook for about 3 years now, and while I absolutely love all the details that OS X and mac hardware design offers, I'm a bit dissappointed about the hardware quality and durability. The thing is, this laptop of mine is totally crapping out after 3 years of use. Macs are hardly cheap and getting only three years out of a single machine priced like a mac is not very good deal imho. Because of this I'm really really iffy about shelling out money for a new mac laptop. Especially MBP's which cost considerably more. But on the other hand I really like most of the system because it's so well thought of and going back to a Windows or Linux machine just feels rather repulsive.

So my question is: Are Macbook Pro's more durable than these plastic Macbooks so I could rationalize speding big bucks? I wouldn't want to get a 2000 euro laptop that fails me after just a couple of years like this one.

PS. I've never even dropped my laptop nor I slam it when I put it on the desk. Despite this the bluetooth device disappears occationally, the machine crashes randomly and apparently the hard drive beeps and freezes the whole machine every now and then. Also one usb-port has died. I can't think of any other reason than either the HW is ****, or the plastic chassis isn't protective enough.

It's all arbitrary, really. I've had a White MB for the same time, and it's as good now as when I bought it. That doesn't mean it'll stay that way, but mileage varies big time depending on use, the user, etc. The only issue I've had is the dreaded cracking on the hand rest, but Apple replaced free, and out of warranty with no questions asked.

To answer your question; I'd think that the Alu/MBP would definitely be more durable. I mean it's metal vs. plastic, so that alone would be enough. I've heard that the older Alu boxes would flex/bend, but I haven't heard that the new ones do that, so I think it's safe to say they don't. If you're near an Apple store, I'd go and check it out. I have, and the MBP's are definitely more sturdy. Weight wise, I think they're the same. Have you tried a fresh install of OSX to fix your software issues? It may be nothing more than that, or a permissions fix...?

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
I bought a 2009 MB about four months ago, my first Mac laptop, and loved it. I kept it in a sleeve when not in use but could not get past how it gets scratched up so easily despite my taking such good care of it and feared it would look much worst in a year or two - plus I lived with the fear of eventual cracking. Although it did everything I wanted I did miss the backlit keys for working in the dark.

Anyway, since I got a good price on my MB and since the new 2010 13" MBP was on sale locally for almost 20% off, I sold my MB and picked up the base MBP and couldn't be happier. When you consider that 2010 MBP and MB have the same performance spec except of the RAM, and that after adding more ram to get equal performance the price difference is less than 10%, it seemed like the MBP was a much better investment (if you plan on using 4GB ram). You not only get a more solid chassis, you get backlit keys, firewire 800, and a higher value when the time comes to sell it making the slightly higher price a wash. Of course Apple knows this and like many of their product price points, are designed to leverage a buyer into the next model or feature. I hate that but it works and since I was able to buy a MBP on sale for the same price as a MB it was a easy move to justify.

Getting back to the original question, Yes, the MBP at least seems to be much more durable and so far no scratches ;)

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I've had a MBP for two years now. No problems at all with any of the hardware, very durable.

Note this is before the unibody ones came out. Unibody is even more durable, from what I hear.

Pak^Man

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Columbus, OH
I have a 4 year old black macbook that's been 100% reliable. I haven't experienced any palm rest cracking, no problems whatsoever. It's the luck of the draw I guess...

I agree.... I bought a white Macbook in Aug 2006.

Took it to school every day for two years, as well as on projects at countless sites. It was stuffed in a sleeve, and thrown into a book-bag. Then in 2008, my sister inherited and has been taking to her college 4-5 days a week since then..... and not single issue with hardware or build quality.

On the whole, you will find all sorts of experiences, so it's hard to generalize!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.