Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Cirdan on the Dev-Team's irc channel has developed instructions for enabling tethering in iOS 4.0.x without any commcenter patch. It requires editing some files manually, but it works perfectly on my 3GS. I've simplified and clarified them.

Notes:
  • These instructions assume you are on AT&T. They would need to be modified for other carriers. In particular, you would need to use a mobileconfig file for your carrier, and take the type-mask values from that mobileconfig file rather than using the ones I give here.
  • As always, back up all files before editing them.
  • We're still trying to figure out if this can be made to work on the iPhone 4.
1) Install Ultrasn0w 1.0-1.

2) On your computer (NOT your iPhone) download the Peaceful Insanity tethering mobileconfig.

3) Email the file Tether.mobileconfig you downloaded in step two to yourself.

4) On your phone:Install this tethering profile from Mail. (Please note: MobileSafari will no longer allow you to install a mobileconfig file. It must be done from Mail.)

5) On your phone, in the file /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.MobileInternetSharing.plist, locate the following text:
Code:
<key>State</key>
<integer>1020</integer>
and change it to read:
Code:
<key>State</key>
<integer>1023</integer>

6) In the file /private/var/Managed Preferences/mobile/com.apple.managedCarrier.plist, locate the following text:
Code:
<key>apn></key>
<string>wap.cingular</string>
and add the following text immediately after it:
Code:
<key>type-mask</key>
<integer>53</integer>

7) In that same file, locate the following text:
Code:
<key>apn</key>
<string>acds.voicemail</string>
Code:
<key>type-mask</key>
<integer>2</integer>

8) In the file /private/var/preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist, locate the following text (be careful!):
Code:
<dict>
<key>AllowNoDNS</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>apn</key>
<string>wap.cingular</string>
Code:
<key>type-mask</key>
<integer>53</integer>

9) Reboot your phone and tethering will be on!

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Do you need the new Ultrasn0w or will the old .93 work? Also if you need the new ultrasn0w can you just run it on top of the old one?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I'll try it on the 4 if you think it won't mess with my MyWi install.

Shouldn't. And if you back everything up you can always revert the changes.

Do you need the new Ultrasn0w or will the old .93 work? Also if you need the new ultrasn0w can you just run it on top of the old one?

No, 0.93 works. The instructions were developed using 0.93, but work with 1.0-1.

so this will make it seem like you have the official tethering? [to you, not to att]

Yep, 100% native tethering via USB and Bluetooth.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
I'm not sure I understand the need for this method. The commcenter patching was quick and easy for me, once I got updated to 4.0.1 firmware anyway.

And I saved myself all the manual editing of the carrier.plist file by downloading one linked in the thread.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I'm not sure I understand the need for this method. The commcenter patching was quick and easy for me, once I got updated to 4.0.1 firmware anyway.

Personally, I would rather not patch system files; ultrasn0w hooks into commcenter without patching it. Also, this works on iOS 4.0, which is the highest version those of us on the jailbreak train can use.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I am doing it on my iPhone 4 right now, I'll post back in a bit.

EDIT: Nope. The setting showed up in Settings -> Network. When I plugged it into my iMac, the setting immediately disappeared.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
I thought this worked initially. Was wrong.. Doesn't work on iPhone 4

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I am doing it on my iPhone 4 right now, I'll post back in a bit.

EDIT: Nope. The setting showed up in Settings -> Network. When I plugged it into my iMac, the setting immediately disappeared.

See that's what I would expect to happen. I thought the whole point of the commcenter patch was to allow the mobileconfig file to work properly.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
The big difference was the managedCarrier.plist was binary encoded. I had to move it to my Mac, convert it via plutil, edit it, and convert it back.

Did you try iFile? It can open and edit plist files right on the iPhone. Glad we now have confirmation that it works on iPhone 4. Thanks!

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
I did notice on iPhone 4 that the first edit, the 1020 to 1023, is reverted somehow. Could the permissions on that file be locked to make this work?

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Did you try iFile? It can open and edit plist files right on the iPhone. Glad we now have confirmation that it works on iPhone 4. Thanks!

I was mistaken. I thought it was working but my Wifi on the desktop was just on.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Followed these instructions, no go.

Installed the patch from the other thread (ccp401_1.1-3_wortel.deb), rebooted and now it works.

Strange. Could you upload the ManagedCarrier.plist file somewhere and send me a link? I'd like to check it out.

Attached.

Attachments

• com.apple.managedCarrier.plist.zip
    743 bytes · Views: 274

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
See that's what I would expect to happen. I thought the whole point of the commcenter patch was to allow the mobileconfig file to work properly.

No, ultrasn0w takes care of that. The various Commcenter patches remove signature check from ipcc files (that's why we have to edit them manually if we want to avoid the patch).

The General: I just uploaded that file to my iPhone 3GS, opened it, and edited it with iFile without problems.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
No, ultrasn0w takes care of that. The various Commcenter patches remove signature check from ipcc files (that's why we have to edit them manually if we want to avoid the patch).

What does that first edit actually do. The change from 1020 to 1023.

When I connected to USB it was automatically reverted.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
What does that first edit actually do. The change from 1020 to 1023.

When I connected to USB it was automatically reverted.

I believe that's what actually turns on the tethering instead of giving you the button to set up internet tethering with AT&T. I don't know how that file's reverting. If you don't plug it into the computer after making the change, can you enable tethering? Have you tried BlueTooth tethering just to see if it works? What about if you turn off automatic syncing in iTunes?

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
I believe that's what actually turns on the tethering instead of giving you the button to set up internet tethering with AT&T. I don't know how that file's reverting. If you don't plug it into the computer after making the change, can you enable tethering? Have you tried BlueTooth tethering just to see if it works? What about if you turn off automatic syncing in iTunes?

Alrighty. Redid this all. Tethering option is there and the switch is "flippable". Flips on and off without the Tethering option disappearing.

Bluetooth paired up just fine. "Use as PAN" option is there

Still can't connect to the network. Attempting gives a "network isn't available" error on the Mac and makes the tethering option disappear on the phone.

Checking the plist, the file is reverted back to 1020

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Alrighty. Redid this all. Tethering option is there and the switch is "flippable". Flips on and off without the Tethering option disappearing.

Bluetooth paired up just fine. "Use as PAN" option is there

Still can't connect to the network. Attempting gives a "network isn't available" error on the Mac and makes the tethering option disappear on the phone.

Checking the plist, the file is reverted back to 1020

If you edit the file, close it out, and then immediately open it again does it still say 1023? I'm wondering if your changes aren't being saved at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.