Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andym172

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
UK
For some reason once the far right hand column of my desktop is full, the icons start piling on top of each-other at the bottom right corner of the my screen.

See:
Image-3EAFD9C3426D11D9.jpg

and a little closer:

Image-3EAFEB91426D11D9.jpg

I had thought that it may have been due to a 'dodgy' install and so tonight I've spent the last few hours re-installing Panther. Annoyingly the problem is still there :(

Anybody have any ideas on how I can prevent this?

HydroMan

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2004
Luton. Lutonshire.
Image-3EAFEB91426D11D9.jpg

I had thought that it may have been due to a 'dodgy' install and so tonight I've spent the last few hours re-installing Panther. Annoyingly the problem is still there :(

Anybody have any ideas on how I can prevent this?[/QUOTE]

No idea what soever , but I think the second image is "interesting" or is it just me :D
(turns head 90 degrees)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Eh... what are your View Options set to? Sometimes if you set it to be aligned to a grid, it will stack the icons like that.

Nice Desktop Background... I assume there were more in that series of pictures? :eek: ;)

(Press Command+Shift+3 to take a screenshot, or press 4 instead of 3 to get cross hairs that allow you to "aim" where you take a picture. They appear on the desktop as PDFs. Also, press the spacebar after you press Command+Shift+4 to get a camera-- this takes a picture of a window when you click on it)

andym172

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
UK
Ok, how about I promise to host the pic's if somebody gives me the definitive answer to the icon problem?! ;)

I've tried 'View' -> 'Snap To Grid' but it doesn't appear to have worked :(

Also, rather strangely the icons to the far left of the desktop when Cleaned Up ('View' -> 'Clean Up') move left so that almost half of the icon is not shown (is off the screen).

Any more advice would be gratefully appreciated :)

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
andym172 said:
Also, rather strangely the icons to the far left of the desktop when Cleaned Up ('View' -> 'Clean Up') move left so that almost half of the icon is not shown (is off the screen).

Any more advice would be gratefully appreciated :)

Obviously the icons don't want to cover up that beautiful desktop of yours
;)

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
I'm not sure how relevant it is but you could try resetting your PRAM.
Reboot holding down your Cmd+opt+P+R and keep them held down until you hear the start up chime twice (or 3 times as an Apple support engineer once told me).
You may have to reset you date and time afterwards though I never have. It may help and it won't hurt.

sotied

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2003
Boston
View issue

I think - and this could be off base but I'm a little distracted by the desktop - that the pile of icons are all ones you created yourself. That said, if they were created at the same time, the desktop view might be sorted by date modified or date created and they would all pile together if the dates are identical. MAYBE.

Just a shot. Hope it helped.

AND by the way, I was only staring at your desktop for the articles.

Jeff

andym172

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
UK
They're not listed by group/type/name - I'm able to place any icon wherever I wish, but for some reason they continue to gather towards the bottom right of the screen :confused:

Anyway, thanks for the replies, you can find this years Pirelli calendar pics here: WARNING: Adult Content - will take a while to load as each image is 3mb+ and there are quite a few of them... :)

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
HydroMan said:
I think the second image is "interesting" or is it just me :D (turns head 90 degrees)

LMAO, that is great. At first I did not quite get the head turn 90 part, but once I did the entire section made sense.

Well stated...simply extrodinary, who am I kidding, its aweful, but still enjoyable :cool:

HydroMan

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2004
Luton. Lutonshire.
andym172 said:
They're not listed by group/type/name - I'm able to place any icon wherever I wish, but for some reason they continue to gather towards the bottom right of the screen :confused:

Anyway, thanks for the replies, you can find this years Pirelli calendar pics here: WARNING: Adult Content - will take a while to load as each image is 3mb+ and there are quite a few of them... :)

Sorry that I have no idea of how to resolve your problem, I even tried dumping about 20 files on my desktop but all were in order, anyway Andy thanks for sharing (link) ;) . How about Apples forum there's usually a tech lurking about, just a thought if you haven't done it already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.