Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elvis12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2010
Hey
I have a new MBA, a new Airport Extreme and a new WD My Passport. I was hoping to being able to keep photos and movies on my small Passport and then view these files wirelessly on my mba. However, this works extremely bad. Opening a photo takes forever, viewing a video is close to impossible and I experience frequent drop outs and disconnections.

I´ve tried both 2,4 and 5 ghz.

Anyways, I am curious how this is SUPPOSED to work. When the Passport is hooked up to the Airport Extreme -- is then everything supposed to work smooth and nice with no drop outs?

When the passport is connected directly to my mba it is almost as fast as an internal drive.

Thanks!

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
It 'might' have to with the fact you're using a 2.5" portable HD which gets it power from the USB port. The air port extreme may not like that and may work better with a desktop style external drive that has its own power supply.

I think I'm right. Go here and see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3694392?start=15&tstart=0

Hey
I have a new MBA, a new Airport Extreme and a new WD My Passport. I was hoping to being able to keep photos and movies on my small Passport and then view these files wirelessly on my mba. However, this works extremely bad. Opening a photo takes forever, viewing a video is close to impossible and I experience frequent drop outs and disconnections.

Anyways, I am curious how this is SUPPOSED to work. When the Passport is hooked up to the Airport Extreme -- is then everything supposed to work smooth and nice with no drop outs?

When the passport is connected directly to my mba it is almost as fast as an internal drive.

Thanks!

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
Hey

Thanks!

I had the same setup and having the HD getting power from the Extreme is the main problem. The Extreme can't handle the power which is why sometimes the HD doesn't even show up as accessible. I returned that HD and bought another one that is self powered. It made a big difference, but still not as fast as if the files were on the computer, obviously. I was thinking the Apple Time Capsule would be quicker, but research says it's not noticeable different speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.