Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
My god I am SO ridiculously indecisive.

So my XR is creaking at the seams a little now, I toyed with the idea of getting a new battery etc for it, but I am now leaning towards upgrading, the only thing is I just don't know what to!

I don't need the latest and greatest so I no 14 Pro and all that jazz, even the regular 14 is unnecessary for me I would say given its similarities to the 13.

I like a phone to look nice as well as be functional.

So that leaves really:

• iPhone 12 (£589 on the refurb store; and I LOVE the purple colour it comes in, and I think looks-wise it's nicer than the 13 and 14)
  • iPhone 13 (Not yet on the refurb store but £30 per month new, I don't love any of the colours it comes in but I believe it has a better battery then the 12 and will likely last longer)
  • (Leftfield choice) iPhone 13 Pro, £800 on the refurb store, I don't need a Pro to be honest but was intrigued by the better screen and camera...

THEN there is the possibility that the 14 will be released in an appealing new colour in the next month or so which COULD sway me potentially... as it's £35 a month which is only a fiver more than a 13!

Does anyone else have this problem? I think it's cuz I try to keep my phones for a long time so it feels like kind of a big decision!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sorry, but indecisiveness has never been my problem. However, for those like yourself, it would seem that actually needing or not needing something factors in to a lot of the hesitation.

I'm a big believer in just buying/getting what you want and not letting need get in the way. Usually that takes care of need too. Since it's your money, you don't have to justify your decision to anyone.

So, my advice is not to focus on what you need - instead get what you actually want. The need will be met.

Andeddu

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2016
I suggest getting a new iPhone 13. I picked one up a week ago and it’s an incredible phone. All the issues that the 12 had have been rectified in this model.

In relation to the colour of the device; it’s not really important to me as I use cases. If it makes any difference, I picked up the blue 13 which is really beautiful. I normally go with black but I though I’d try something different. My case has a clear back so I am still able to enjoy the gorgeous paint job.

• Love
Reactions: sorgo

Andeddu

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2016
What issues did the 12 have?
Poor 5G, well below average battery life and battery degradation. The A14 appeared a little power hungry also which further reduced battery life. I had a 12 Mini which required a MagSafe battery pack before long because of all the battery issues I had. Other than that, the 12 is a great line of phones. The price difference between the 12 and 13 is minimal so purchasing a 12 makes no sense anymore.

Reactions: mvdw84

PegasusTenma

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
I would get the 13Pro if you can. I’ve heard that line of iPhones had legendary battery.

I had a purple 12, just like the one you want but the battery life was quite disappointing. Still a pretty phone!

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
You've got quite a listing there, no wonder there's so much option anxiety going on ;)

Mine was easier. Upon relese wanted the 12 Mini, couldn't afford it. Recently the 13 Mini, couldn't afford it but bough it for obvious reasons anyways as I was thinking it could be last of it's current type. The size, weight were the dominant factors. That it was a model thats already been on the market for 1 year made the decision process a bit tougher.

So during the Mini's 30 day return I started flirting with the 14 Pro, holding, comparing both. I returned the Mini due to some problems but whilst at the store bought the same Model again. So during this 2 week return window the 14 Pro started to once again creeping into my mind. Successfully held off during the 2 weeks and now I know my initial gut was right and I'm happy to have the 13 Mini.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010

So my XR is creaking at the seams a little now, I toyed with the idea of getting a new battery etc for it, but I am now leaning towards upgrading, the only thing is I just don't know what to!

I don't need the latest and greatest so I no 14 Pro and all that jazz, even the regular 14 is unnecessary for me I would say given its similarities to the 13.

So that leaves really:

• iPhone 12 (£589 on the refurb store; and I LOVE the purple colour it comes in, and I think looks-wise it's nicer than the 13 and 14)
  • iPhone 13 (Not yet on the refurb store but £30 per month new, I don't love any of the colours it comes in but I believe it has a better battery then the 12 and will likely last longer)
  • (Leftfield choice) iPhone 13 Pro, £800 on the refurb store, I don't need a Pro to be honest but was intrigued by the better screen and camera...

THEN there is the possibility that the 14 will be released in an appealing new colour in the next month or so which COULD sway me potentially... as it's £35 a month which is only a fiver more than a 13!

Does anyone else have this problem? I think it's cuz I try to keep my phones for a long time so it feels like kind of a big decision!
I would get a 13 Pro over a regular 14 always! The Promotion screen and camera is worth it

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
I'm waiting for it to show in the UK Refurb store, currently only the Mini and Pro's are there, no regular 13... hopefully not long to wait

sorgo

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2016
Porte des Morts
I'm waiting for it to show in the UK Refurb store, currently only the Mini and Pro's are there, no regular 13... hopefully not long to wait
Get a 13 mini I got it when the green dropped and it’s absolute balls (in a good way)

Refurb especially is a no-brainer. More screen than an 8 plus, improved battery over 12 mini, blazing fast, single-handed friendly, unique/historic-yet-modern…what more could you want (and don’t say ProMotion and a third rear camera :))?

Reactions: Alpha Centauri

d5aqoëp

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2016
The biggest and ONLY problem with iPhone 12 series is pathetic battery life and batteries which degrade by 15% in a year. Some say that 13 series (Pro and non-Pro models) have better battery life than even 14 series.

If you are fine with A15 Bionic in iPhone 13, then there is zero reason to upgrade to 14 series unless Pro models.

OR

Save your money and get iPhone 15 releasing this year with USB-C and Wifi 6e.

ReneeReader

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2011

So that leaves really:

Can you try them in person? It might help: for instance the weight of the 14Pro was too much for me to want to carry or hold up while walking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.