Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe today released a Lightroom app for Apple TV, enabling users to share their Creative Cloud photos in a slideshow on the big screen.

Adobe-Lightroom-Apple-TV.jpg

The viewing-only app features the ability to browse through your synchronized photo collections, including photos uploaded via Lightroom CC on the desktop, Lightroom on mobile, or Lightroom on the web.

When scrolling through all of the photos in your Creative Cloud account, users can stop and zoom in to highlight details within individual photos. However, photos cannot be edited within Lightroom for Apple TV.

Lightroom requires a fourth-generation Apple TV as well as a Creative Cloud subscription to login. The app can be downloaded for free from the tvOS App Store on Apple TV, and is available right now.

Article Link: Adobe Lightroom Launches on Apple TV

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Yah, my first thought was "huh? what is this for?", but many startups have Apple TVs in boardrooms as part of their overall Apple-centic network. It's a new world we live in, and great to see. Adobe is smart to embrace that.

yep, my thoughts as well. like "what??" oh wait, i can see now, you can use it as a "lightroom" or "contact sheet" for a meeting, scanning images easily. Maybe have different sign-ins accessible to view a group of projects

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
Yah, my first thought was "huh? what is this for?", but many startups have Apple TVs in boardrooms as part of their overall Apple-centic network. It's a new world we live in, and great to see. Adobe is smart to embrace that.
I wonder how much of investors moneys are tied up in this junk. I worked for a startup that had 6 in total in all the conference rooms. 2 Years later they were still unused. Waste of money so everyone can feel important and "cutting edge". The story ended with bankruptcy, by the way.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I'm just a serious hobbyist - but I like the new App! Makes it simple to pull up a set of photos I'm currently working on to show my wife / friends.

Doesn't really need any more justification than that... it's just a way to simply view your Lightroom photos on your TV.

Reactions: Keane16

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Adobe is clearly competing with Apple's iCloud Photo Library. And by abandoning Aperture and all of their prosumer customers, Apple has given Adobe a great deal of leverage to siphon away cloud service business.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Presumably you'd have your iPhone or Mac with you and you can just AirPlay it to the AppleTV?!

Airplay is definitely not as good as the AppleTV App. Using Lightroom with Airplay Mirroring from my 12.9" iPP the resolution of the photos on the TV is horrendous. In addition - it doesn't take up the whole TV screen. The colors look terrible too. While I was trying it out just now Airplay also dropped its connection. Yuck.

Further - navigating with the AppleTV remote is way better than needing to look down at your iPhone / iPad to do the navigating.

Why be negative about a new App? It's useful and free...

Reactions: CarlJ and jacobh101

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
if you have a creative cloud subscriptions. So no its not free.

This only views photos from CC. The only reason you would want it is if you have a CC account already. The price of my CC account didn't go up because they released this and I didn't have to pay for it directly.

What do you want to call it? "Value added"?

Reactions: Keane16

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Is Adobe still a thing? I mean Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer are replacing Adobe for me without hassle..... wouldn't invest in a rentable software....

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
What do you want to call it? "Value added"?
Value Added is a good term, actually - smart idea on Adobe's part - for Adobe CC users who have an Apple TV (potentially quite a few people/companies), it makes your existing bits just a tiny bit more compelling. Not in my wheelhouse, but seems like a neat hack.

Reactions: friedmud
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.