Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
I have a pair of APP that I've been using since the beginning of Dec where the left ear fails fit test with any tip (I normally use large). I don't know if it passed when I first got them, though.

I just picked up a second pair that passes fit test with large tips. I tried using new tips on old APP and old set still fails left side.

I don't know the determining factor but the new set that passes fit test have a lot more bass. Can't really notice much difference with performance of ANC but the new set does give my head a more "full" (bit uncomfortable) feeling.

Old APP is on firmware 2C54. New set is on 2B588.

I'll see if there's any difference after new set's firmware gets updated.

UPDATE: New set got updated to 2C54 and still passes fit test on both sides. I continue to have increased bass also vs the previous set that fails fit test on left side.

Last edited:

Abrucks

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
I am going to throw my hat into the ring With the theory of a clogged vent. Was having issue with both app failing. Apple support sent me replacements. Good for about a week then right one started failing test again. Also noticed sense of increases pressure in right ear. After reading about others having success with cleaning outside grills, I gave this an attempt. Was unsuccessful at multiple methods such as sticky tape or just whipping off with lint free cloth. Finally in a last ditch effort put my mouth over the outside grills and used suction to try to clear them out (super sexy I know). However it was successful. Noticed an immediate change in inner ear pressure and both sides have now passed the tests Numerous times, and right unit seems to have slightly better bass then before cleaning. Also had the increased bone conduction in right ear, this also has been greatly reduced.

Last edited:

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
I am going to throw my hat into the ring With the theory of a clogged vent. Was having issue with both app failing. Apple support sent me replacements. Good for about a week then right one started failing test again. Also noticed sense of increases pressure in right ear. After reading about others having success with cleaning outside grills, I gave this an attempt. Was unsuccessful at multiple methods such as sticky tape or just whipping off with lint free cloth. Finally in a last ditch effort put my mouth over the outside grills and used suction to try to clear them out (super sexy I know). However it was successful. Noticed an immediate change in inner ear pressure and both sides have now passed the tests Numerous times, and right unit seems to have slightly better bass then before cleaning. Also had the increased bone conduction in right ear, this also has been greatly reduced.

OMG, what the hell, this worked for me also! My left side was consistently failing and now they are consistently passing after...sucking on the grill a few times... You mentioned “outside grill” but I was only able to get any suction on what I would call the ”inside grill”, the one that faces you when inside the case.

I also noticed the bass is matching the new second set I bought, as mentioned above.

What a crazy thing to seemingly have to do occasionally to an expensive premium product from Apple. Should make for a wonderful support article...

Abrucks

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
OMG, what the hell, this worked for me also! My left side was consistently failing and now they are consistently passing after...sucking on the grill a few times... You mentioned “outside grill” but I was only able to get any suction on what I would call the ”inside grill”, the one that faces you when inside the case.

I also noticed the bass is matching the new second set I bought, as mentioned above.

What a crazy thing to seemingly have to do occasionally to an expensive premium product from Apple. Should make for a wonderful support article...
I meant outside grill as in not removing the ear tip and attempting it on the ”speaker” section. Glad someone else had success.

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010

I think I had also tried this when cleaning my airpods. I definitely think it has something to do with a clogged vent

0x1337

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2019
Been couple of days since I cleaned the grills last time and no matter how careful I was handling the airpods today had some issues with sound quality and eartip test failed as well. I tried your suggestion and took couple of hits :) they work like a charm again. So clogged grills it was!

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Didn’t work for me. I think just removing them from your ear and reinstalling them is what made the difference. The right ear bud of my set has failed the fit test and the left passes but, ANC and sound works flawlessly.

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2019
Been couple of days since I cleaned the grills last time and no matter how careful I was handling the airpods today had some issues with sound quality and eartip test failed as well. I tried your suggestion and took couple of hits :) they work like a charm again. So clogged grills it was!

So for every couple of days you have to literally suck on your AirPods Pro in order to keep them working properly? lmfao 😂

Abrucks

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
After more testing it is definitely the vent that rests against your ear that causes the problem. I was able to replicate the issue by touching the vent with a wet finger. So after touching this vent the tests failed and the increased ear pressure and bone conductivity returned. When I removed the moisture, the test passed and all other issues went away. I was able to due this 3 times with repeatable results. So my theory is the blockage is either caused by debris on fingers when handelimg the pods, or sweat when in contact with the ear. Definitely a poor design that could suffer from these issues but fortunately a simple fix when it occurs.

audio for life

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019

Man, you are my hero! Suffering the same issues as others in this thread. I for one totally love the sound-quality of the APP and for me after tried and used so many TWS, the APP where a godsend.

Until after few weeks the sound quality and ANC slowly but surely start to degrade till a point all my bass was just gone. And obviously like al other posters mentioned, seal test always fails at this point.

Got a new pair from Apple. Sounded great again, couldn’t be happier! Until few weeks later the same phenomenon occurs again.

I did as you said, and sucked the grills out (wonder how unhealthy that is with all the glue and other bad chemicals inside). And yes! right away my left APP was fixed. The right one needed some more suction. Now they sound terrific again and pass the seal test every-time consistently.

That being said, Apple should be informed about this, and they must fix this mechanical design-flaw. I don’t like to “suck” my AirPods every 2 weeks. How can we let them know this? Any special email address?

thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Reactions: Glideslope

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2019
Man, you are my hero! Suffering the same issues as others in this thread. I for one totally love the sound-quality of the APP and for me after tried and used so many TWS, the APP where a godsend.

Until after few weeks the sound quality and ANC slowly but surely start to degrade till a point all my bass was just gone. And obviously like al other posters mentioned, seal test always fails at this point.

Got a new pair from Apple. Sounded great again, couldn’t be happier! Until few weeks later the same phenomenon occurs again.

I did as you said, and sucked the grills out (wonder how unhealthy that is with all the glue and other bad chemicals inside). And yes! right away my left APP was fixed. The right one needed some more suction. Now they sound terrific again and pass the seal test every-time consistently.

That being said, Apple should be informed about this, and they must fix this mechanical design-flaw. I don’t like to “suck” my AirPods every 2 weeks. How can we let them know this? Any special email address?

thanks a lot!

Yeah you can try suckmyairpods@timapple.com

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
I’ll just add that after “sucking” my Airpods on Tues and fit test passing, they failed again early yesterday (Wed). I sucked on them again (this is so ridiculous that we’re using these terms) yesterday and they would pass, but started failing again last night. Not sure if it’s my ear chemistry or what...

On the fit test, the music has that initial bass hit where I can tell an immediate difference if they’ll pass or fail since the bass is noticeably more if they’re going to pass.

I have a genius bar appt today and will ask them to switch out my left pair so we’ll see how that goes.

Abrucks

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
Perhaps we should call it the”Ridiculous required cleaning”. At least we now now what seems to be causing the issue. So hopes of a software fix aren’t possible. Also it is not a failing internal mic as others had speculated. Sadly the only permanent fix (I can envision) would be a redesign of the grill itself so that if won’t be clogged by sweat or other debris. However I suspect the grill was designed As is to achieve the water resistance rating.

sft109

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2009
Great find Abrucks!! Can confirm the “suck on my pods” (let’s coin that) works as well. My third pair started having the issue a couple weeks into use (my first two pairs did it after a few days but I worked out in them so the sweat clogged it sooner I’m sure).

I thought it was the internal mics but clearly it’s the vents. This is an obvious design flaw. My wife must have less oily ears as hers still pass.

Wonder if Apple will ever acknowledge this or will the millions of average users not even notice this. At least I won’t go replace my headphones every couple weeks now. Surely sucking on these things isn’t probably good for the airpods themselves, nor good for us....

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
for whom have clogged vents problems: how many hours per day do u use the pods?

yoheywut

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
I want to throw in my data point. TLDR sucking on the inward facing mesh screen fixed it for now!

Got my AirPods on launch day, were working fine for the first few weeks. Medium and Large tips showed as passing the fit test those first few weeks (I stuck with the Large ones). I noticed them becoming a little looser than I remember, then I saw this thread about the fit test failing. Sure enough, both the left and right buds failed the fit test these recent weeks. I monitored this thread looking for a solution, as getting them swapped as the Genius Bar didn’t seem like it was doing anything for anyone. I was leaning toward it being an issue with the rubber tips losing their shape or being affected by oils. Cleaning with an alcohol wipe seems to help a bit, but the fit test still failed (unless I actively pushed them deep into my ears). I saw today about people having success with sucking ? on the mesh areas. Sure enough, after a few sucks on both mesh areas, the fit test now passes (repeatedly)! I’m pretty sure it’s the inner mesh that’s the culprit. I haven’t noticed a big difference in sound or ANC but we’ll see how a commute is.

Reactions: audio for life

Mr Retina

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2013
Dude Lmfao!!!! I’m so mad this actually worked for me ??? I had the perfect seal at launch, and recently I’ve been failing the test. Took two hits on each sides vent and now I’m all green!!!

oli

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Hamburg
As some (including myself) have found out from the fail of the inward-NC and the pass test, it is caused by a (rather quick) contamination of the microphone grille directed into the "ear cup".
As a result, the "inward-facing" microphone can no longer trigger the function of the "inner NC" - consequence: the "pass test" fails (sign of the failure) and, above all: bone sound can no longer be "accepted" and compensated by NC. Telephoning is also made difficult by the uncompensated hum of your own voice; typical disadvantages of in-ears that Apple has just overcome with the inward-NC - which is, however, switched off after a while due to clogged micro grids.

A design-related defect - at least not a micro-defect as I initially assumed - that is difficult to remedy:

In use by cleaning with Uhu Patafix (adhesive pads), which are also practical for normal AirPods and supplement by vacuuming/sucking the microphone grill, well ...

In the further development by Apple - difficult, naturally the side facing inwards (especially during sports, sweat, etc.) clogs up slightly. If the grids are too tight, they are clogged faster, partly. solely through moisture. If the grids are too wide, the risk that something will penetrate increases.
At the same time it is advertised that the APpro "can" withstand moisture ...

The inward-facing micro technology and thus the opening is necessary because of the following functions:
• NC of the impact / structure-borne noise when walking, running, sport + hum of your own voice when phoning (and probably also the telephony quality by differentiating your own voice from ambient noise) - what a great idea and
• Measuring the optimal sound quality / adapting in the "listening room" (as with the Homepod, brilliant ...).

Until Apple has implemented this better, it lasts only cleaning and sucking/vacuuming ... - the product alreaday has become more familiar almost intimate to me than I actually like.

Many will not notice it or because of the acclimatization to impact sound etc. over normal in-ears, many will not notice it or not care ...

Reactions: Bromeo and Mapjin

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I’m happy that this has helped some of you but, my APP’s still never pass the fit test on the right ear bud no matter how many times I try the suck method I’m sure there are many more here for whom this doesn’t work. So while sucking on the grill may help some there is still an underlying hardware issue that Apple needs to address. Even though my right ear bud fails every time my APP’s sound and ANC work flawlessly.

Reactions: Glideslope
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.