Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Altos-Adventure.png
Snowman on Thursday released its highly-anticipated title Alto's Adventure [Direct Link] on the App Store for iPhone and iPad. Alto's Adventure is a beautiful endless runner featuring physics-based gameplay, procedurally generated terrain based on real-world snowboarding, fully dynamic lighting, dynamic weather effects, six unique snowboarders and more. The game departs from the freemium model with a $1.99 price tag and no in-app purchases.
"Join Alto and his friends as they embark on an endless snowboarding odyssey. Journey across the beautiful alpine hills of their native wilderness, through neighbouring villages, ancient woodlands, and long-abandoned ruins. Along the way you'll rescue runaway llamas, grind rooftops, leap over terrifying chasms and outwit the mountain elders - all while braving the ever changing elements and passage of time upon the mountain."
Altos-Adventure-GIF.gif
Alto's Adventure is easy to learn with a one-button trick system, enabling you to control your snowboarder through ever-changing mountains and valleys amid thunderstorms, blizzards, fog, rainbows, shooting stars and more. You can test your skills with over 180 handcrafted goals or challenge friends on Game Center, competing for the best high score, best distance and best trick combo. You can also plug in your headphones and listen to handcrafted audio as you drift through the peaks and valleys.

Alto's Adventure is $1.99 on the App Store with universal support for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The app includes iCloud support that, for example, enables you to play the game on your iPhone and pick up where you left off on your iPad. The game is optimized for the latest devices, including the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air 2.

Article Link: 'Alto's Adventure' Now Available on App Store for iPhone and iPad

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
interesting...reminds me of any ski game like Ski Safari mixed with Monument Valley and maybe slight bit of Tiny Wings mixed in.

looks cool...but not sure I'd play it often. I need to re-evaluate my apps on my phone and clean house a bit

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
under 2 bucks? sold

looks great, I was using my Nintendo DS for the first time in like forever the other day and I couldn't believe how crappy everything looks on those 40 bucks games. so many pixels. the Nintendo display resolution is really dated

hemanwomanhater

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Don't mind if I do.

And love that it's not freemium.

EDIT: Okay, just played it for a few minutes. I already know I'm going to be addicted to this for a while. Reminds me quite a bit of Tiny Wings.

Last edited:

lopoz

macrumors regular
May 10, 2005
+50 awesome points for using Kolnidur as the theme song to the trailer :)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Looks gorgeous, nifty song in the trailer, huge props for non-freemium model... but I just can't stand endless runners.

Maybe it comes of my desire for a concrete final goal when playing a game, but even looking way, way back to the days of Atari-era games I always lost interest after a while when it registered the only goal was to keep playing until I lost. Probably why gaming didn't really grab me until the Nintendo era when there was some sense of accomplishment other than a big number.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Looks gorgeous, nifty song in the trailer, huge props for non-freemium model... but I just can't stand endless runners.
It looks great. Unfortunately the actual in-game music is nowhere near as good as the trailer song, and the gameplay doesn't seem very innovative as far as I can tell after 15 minutes.
Maybe it comes of my desire for a concrete final goal when playing a game, but even looking way, way back to the days of Atari-era games I always lost interest after a while when it registered the only goal was to keep playing until I lost.
I remember playing Missile Command endlessly. :)

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
It's a great game, it really is. And no in-app purchase bull either.

The soundtrack is something else too, headphones recommend.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
I love the look but the gameplay looks so similar to ski safari. Ski Safari is a great game but I've played it to death.

MBrolling

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
Pretty chill game, very similar to ski safari gameplay with a monument valley ambience. Has anyone else's gamecenter achievements not correctly updated for this game? I noticed it still shows '?' For all of them even though they were already completed

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
When you jump over a fire and you get chased, is there a way out? It seems I always get caught no matter how fast I'm going??

torakaru

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2008
Canada
It's a great game I think it will give much to talk about this year (in fact there are already many reviews in English in many blogs). It is true that closely resembles other, in fact the creators were inspired by the TINY WINGS cause they lovedit ; but still shines, and has some awesome graphics, smooth and fluid gameplay and a lovely soundtrack, simply amazing! I recommend it to everyone! Really worth purchase at fair price ;-)

bradkrischel

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
USA
When you jump over a fire and you get chased, is there a way out? It seems I always get caught no matter how fast I'm going??

I've found that doing as many tricks/grinds as possible while being chased helps to keep the elder from catching up with you. I played this game quite a bit over the weekend, and I'm definitely enjoying it!

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I've found that doing as many tricks/grinds as possible while being chased helps to keep the elder from catching up with you. I played this game quite a bit over the weekend, and I'm definitely enjoying it!

Yes. I'm getting used to it a little now. I've also found that if you jump when they are about to swipe you, it sometimes misses!!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Until you've reached the mid 20s levels, you've barely played the game. The scarf mechanics, the new character mechanics etc - really, really make the game interesting.

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
Until you've reached the mid 20s levels, you've barely played the game. The scarf mechanics, the new character mechanics etc - really, really make the game interesting.

I would agree with that. Maya and Paz (second and third characters) make you play with such different styles. There is a lot more dimensionality to the game than first appears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.