Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California
I’ve gone to the apple store and Best Buy a few times.. I would like to get a new iPad Pro or iphone but i really dont like Face ID. Any body else feel like this... I would say the iPhone X’s max is a great looking phone but that Face ID is a deal breaker for me... :(

Face ID is awesome. I absolutely love it. On my phone and iPad I don’t even notice it because it works so well. Unlocks every single time. I just don’t understand why people don’t like it. I’m so glad Touch ID is a think of the past and Face ID is here. I never want to go back. So much quicker! So much easier! And, most importantly, so much more reliable.

photocat2005

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
United States
Just because it has Face ID doesn't mean you have to use it do you? I don't own one with Face ID, don't think I'd care for it either really but tried Touch ID a few times and it never worked more than a day or so...been using a passcode ever since. Not a big deal but I don't live on these devices 24/7 either.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I’ve gone to the apple store and Best Buy a few times.. I would like to get a new iPad Pro or iphone but i really dont like Face ID. Any body else feel like this... I would say the iPhone X’s max is a great looking phone but that Face ID is a deal breaker for me... :(
So you’ve actually never used it... yet you dislike it. Lol
Faceid has been wonderful in my experience over the last 11 months.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I was a bit skeptical as well. The new iPad is my first device with it.

Hands down, it’s better. It fails less frequently than touchID ever did (and I had better than average success with TouchID from what I gather), and so many times - logging in from a keyboard, logging in to password protected sites, etc. it is really slick to not have to ‘do’ anything to authenticate. You just sit there and before you know it you’re logged in.

Minor issues when the device is laying flat on a table, say when taking notes in a meeting. You may have to lift the device slightly, or orient with camera at the bottom edge and simply lean forward.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I have used my iPP with Face ID in bed at night, no lights turned on. The ambient light off of the screen is enough for Face ID to work just fine.

I am sure that it works but you need to watch at the device. I don't tend up to do that during the night. I just hit my finger print sensor with almost closed eyes :). But that's a small gripe and I honestly do not even think applies to the iPads. It applies only for phones.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
For me, the benefit of Face ID vs Touch ID is basically inaction vs action.

For example, I want to auto fill a login page with my details. With Touch ID, I have to manually place my thumb on the sensor. With Face ID, I don’t have to do a single thing but let the Face scanner do its job.

It’s hard to go back once you get used to it.

Neonblue

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2009
London
This is my first device with Face ID and at first I was sceptical, now after two weeks using the 12.9 its an even better experience than previous generations. Looking back, with my old 12.9 trying to reach for the home button - and remembering if it was at the top, bottom, left or right was cumbersome. Face ID works instantly and there’s usually no need to adjust he positioning of the device. I think Face ID really excelles on the 12.9 over any other existing product.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

You can not make good judgements by just spending a few minutes t the Apple Store.

I am sure all of us had doubts but after a year with the X and now using the 11” iPad and MAX, I love FaceID. You forget it is even working most the time and given a chance you will like it too.

If you are going to stay with Apple, FaceID is the future. Can’t imagine punching is a passcode all the time so . . . . . .

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I must admit the 11" was my first experience of FaceID and I love it. I was happy enough with TouchID but FaceID on the iPad has been flawless for me with not a single issue. It makes entering passwords for sites etc. such a seamless experience. I was concerned it would be an issue with how I use my iPad but it hasn't.

Reactions: LibbyLA

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I've really liked Face ID. It is far better on my XS Max and iPad Pro than it was on my iPhone X also. I expect it to only get better from here on out. I don't see any reason to go back to Touch ID as it has no real benefits.

Reactions: iHeartsteve

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
I've really liked Face ID. It is far better on my XS Max and iPad Pro than it was on my iPhone X also. I expect it to only get better from here on out. I don't see any reason to go back to Touch ID as it has no real benefits.

I dont know i like the home button.. I’ve gotten used to it and when i play with the new iPhones in Best Buy. I really dont like it.. I dont want to drop that kind of money on something i may not like it. Touch ID has never given me a problem... From multiple iPhones and iPads.. no problems...

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I dont know i like the home button.. I’ve gotten used to it and when i play with the new iPhones in Best Buy. I really dont like it.. I dont want to drop that kind of money on something i may not like it. Touch ID has never given me a problem... From multiple iPhones and iPads.. no problems...

That's fine, stick with what works for you. I'd suggest giving it a fair shake though. Tons of people on this site who swore Touch ID was the better option have now said that Face ID is better and is the preferred method going forward. It's an adjustment, but it's been pretty much invisible to me on the XS Max and new iPad Pro.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I don't really like it. That being said, I feel like it has gotten a little better on my XS vs. my X, and on my iPad Pro 12.9", it seems to be a lot better than the iPhone XS for some reason. It's like it can recognize me from a wider field of view. It doesn't need to be as precise. I hope that can come to the iPhone next year, but it might just be because I often use my iPad in landscape, so the camera is working in landscape, which means it can sense my head more side to side than just up and down. But I wouldn't be surprised if there is a hardware difference of some sort.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
That's fine, stick with what works for you. I'd suggest giving it a fair shake though. Tons of people on this site who swore Touch ID was the better option have now said that Face ID is better and is the preferred method going forward. It's an adjustment, but it's been pretty much invisible to me on the XS Max and new iPad Pro.

This sums up my experience on the iPad. I don't have to think about it, it just works in the background without me needing to consider what I am doing.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ

I do like that XS max phone though.. super beautiful.. i may have to bite the bullet on it.....

MK500

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Face ID on the new iPad Pros is truly awesome! It’s almost instant. It works at crazy angles. It works in every lighting situation I tried from pitch black to bright sunlit room. The most I need to do is shift my hand an inch if I accidentally cover it. In practice this is way less work than having to position your finger precisely on the home button for Touch ID.

The biggest change is: as I move from secure app to app it just gets me in. I stop even thinking about it.

This is the one feature I will miss the most going from the 11” to the 10.5” Pro.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Another thing is that by ditching the home button you more screen real estate to work with. It's so much nicer to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.