Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon is planning to update its Amazon Echo line with a new speaker that includes a screen and video calling capabilities, reports The Wall Street Journal.

The upcoming speaker will feature a 7-inch touchscreen, used to make internet-based video/telephone calls and display visual results for spoken queries. Camera functionality could also be included, mirroring the capabilities of the recently introduced Echo Look.

amazon-echo-800x481.jpg
Amazon's existing Echo speaker​
The new Echo screen device will likely support some of the same functionality as the Echo Look, which will enable consumers to take videos and photos of their outfits and compare them via algorithms, according to one of the people. It is unclear why Amazon is launching the two devices so close together or how the market segments they target may differ.
Amazon may be planning to unveil the speaker, which has been in beta testing for a few months, as early as tomorrow, Tuesday, May 9.

Amazon's existing Echo device is currently priced at $150, but it normally sells for $180. The new speaker is expected to be sold for over $200, due to the included display.

Along with the new speaker, Amazon is also said to be planning to roll out telephone services to existing Echo devices over the next few weeks. To begin with, intercom functionality may be available, allowing two Echo devices to communicate with one another.

The imminent launch of an Amazon Echo device with a display comes as Apple is rumored to be nearing the final stages of development on its own Siri-based speaker, which would compete with the Echo and the Google Home.

Rumors have not suggested Apple's upcoming device will include a display, but Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller recently made some comments suggesting voice-activated smart speakers would be better with screens.

According to Schiller, a voice assistant without a screen doesn't "suit many situations," especially when it comes to social networking services, photos, and games.
I have yet to see any voice-only games that, for me, are nearly as fun as the one that I play on my screen. And so I think voice assistants are incredibly powerful, their intelligence is going to grow, they're gonna do more for us, but the role of the screen is gonna remain very important to all of this.
Amazon's new Echo product will be the first of the in-home smart speakers that includes a display. Apple's own device, which is said to include Siri integration and "excellent acoustics performance," reportedly has an "over 50 percent chance" of debuting at the Worldwide Developers Conference in June.

Article Link: Amazon to Unveil New Echo Speaker With Touchscreen as Soon as Tomorrow

Reactions: Sunny1990

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I would imagine they've had this in the labs for a long time, waiting for the right time to release it or if there would be a right time. It'll be interesting to see how they implement this.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Do you not realize that the very act of (Phil Schiller) commenting on the product category completely invalidates any possibility of Apple entering it any time soon?

The rumor mill is desperate to be right about something this year. Its sad.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Does anyone on here actually own an echo, google home, etc.? Seems like another gimmic to add to anyones tech collection. Also another way for the NSA to monitor you (alright, i'll take my tinfoil hat off now).

Reactions: DEXTERITY and er1c

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I could see it maybe being useful, but it's potentially awkward because the voice interaction is non-directional but a screen would not be. So if you're yelling at one "side" of the device, and you want feedback from the screen on the "front", would that work? Or maybe it's a 360° screen that wraps the cylinder and it puts the information aimed at the direction where your voice was coming from? I don't know. That's even assuming you can see the screen in the first place, generally people just yell at it from anywhere, many of those locations where they wouldn't have a view of it at all.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I'm not sure I entirely understand the whole screen concept on something like the Echo... it feels like Amazon is just building a bulkier version of a phone. If you have a question complex enough to require imagery, why not just use a smartphone to begin with? Same with calls.

I don't have an Echo though, so there may be something useful there that I'm missing.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Not surprised. It's the next logical step. A screen will be a huge plus, assuming the quality is decent and the unit is priced right.

Reactions: MH01 and AleRod

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota
I'm not sure I entirely understand the whole screen concept on something like the Echo... it feels like Amazon is just building a bulkier version of a phone. If you have a question complex enough to require imagery, why not just use a smartphone to begin with? Same with calls.

I don't have an Echo though, so there may be something useful there that I'm missing.

Maybe reading recipes for cooking in the kitchen. The list of reasons would be small though.

javigarrido

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2015
Typical! I just bought the Echo yesterday and received it this morning. Now I'm hearing that tomorrow my echo will be obsolete? ****!

I guess I could return it. I'll wait to see what the camera is for. If it's only for videocalls, I think I'll pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terrinb

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
Amazon is swift and hungry. Apple is slow and lazy. These are amazing times to witness.

Yes the whole swift thing worked out real well for Samsung last year.

Further, don't think for two seconds Amazon doesn't already knows what Apple is bringing to market. It uses the same manufacturing partner.

With that said, I wish Apple would be a little more aggressive with things like improving Maps and Siri (both than things I like).

ovo6

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2015
Glad these companies releasing products that we not even ready cuz they know apple coming with better ones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.