Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

amazonmusic.jpg
Amazon today updated its Amazon Music app for iOS devices to version 6.4.0, adding a small but important new feature: support for CarPlay.

With the latest version of the Amazon Music app, Amazon Music subscribers who own a vehicle equipped with CarPlay can access their music directly through the CarPlay interface when an iPhone is connected to the car.

Amazon Music is available to Amazon Prime subscribers, with two million songs, playlists, and stations included in a membership.

Separate Amazon Music Unlimited subscriptions are also available for on-demand listening to "tens of millions" of songs, with pricing starting at $7.99 for Prime members ($9.99 without a Prime subscription). A lower-cost Echo-only plan is also available for $3.99 per month.

Amazon Music can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Amazon Music iOS App Now Supports CarPlay

Kfc179

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
Either Apple is forbidding it, or Amazon is slow to clue into the opportunity. Makes perfect sense that they would be on as many platforms as possible.

http://bgr.com/2016/06/01/apple-tv-jeff-bezos-amazon/

^^^ Apple doesn't forbid the app (it's on iOS), and Jeff Bezos has said before that it's purely a business issue. Maybe we'll see the app one day, but I've given up hope for us seeing it in the near future.

Reactions: Huck and thasan

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Either Apple is forbidding it, or Amazon is slow to clue into the opportunity. Makes perfect sense that they would be on as many platforms as possible.
Apple's not forbidding it, releasing an Amazon Video app for AppleTV is entirely up to Amazon, and it wouldn't need to be enormously different than their iOS app. On the other hand, Amazon is not merely not selling the AppleTV, they're forbidding any 3rd party seller from selling it on Amazon Marketplace. Using the pretense that "it can't do Amazon Video and we wouldn't want consumers to get confused" - translation: we want people to buy our FireTV instead, so we're blocking the competition rather than letting it compete on its own merits. (All the more galling because they are the ones creating the problem that they're "protecting" people from.)

So, things you can't buy from Amazon:
1. Weapons of Mass Destruction
2. The AppleTV.

I'd like Jeff Bezos to stop being a d*ck and port their existing iOS AmazonVideo app to the AppleTV. I have Amazon Prime and an Apple TV. If there was an app, I might buy some movies from Amazon (direct from the website, they don't have to give Apple a cut - same way I buy my Kindle books and Audible audiobooks). But if I can't watch them on my preferred device, then no deal.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Nice. Just tried it, looks pretty good. Wish the album art were just more visible. Seems better than other Carplay apps though.

Reactions: aarond12

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
CarPlay. Let me tell you how extremely disappointed I am. The CarPlay interface is a total joke compared to the native ford sync 3 with apps. The Spotify app on ford sync 3 works so much better then it's CarPlay counterpart. The interface is clunky and outdated on all the CarPlay apps.

Reactions: Huck and Aston441

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Get back to me when carplay can do Waze, GMaps, Google Voice, and all the rest of the apps on my home screen. Oh look, carplay can do ZERO of the apps on my home screen. Carplay is a joke.

Reactions: Huck

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
Nice. Just tried it, looks pretty good. Wish the album art were just more visible. Seems better than other Carplay apps though.

Why are you staring at your stereo when you should have your eyes on the road? They're muted so that the controls and title information are the most prominent, as they should be.

Get back to me when carplay can do Waze, GMaps, Google Voice, and all the rest of the apps on my home screen. Oh look, carplay can do ZERO of the apps on my home screen. Carplay is a joke.

So... it's a joke because a third party hasn't added support for the app feature you want. Seems to me that in your opinion, Google is the joke. Being unhappy that the apps don't have CarPlay support is fine. Getting angry at the wrong company is not.

mxmgodin

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
Toronto, ON
So... it's a joke because a third party hasn't added support for the app feature you want. Seems to me that in your opinion, Google is the joke. Being unhappy that the apps don't have CarPlay support is fine. Getting angry at the wrong company is not.

Apple does not allow 3rd-party map apps on CarPlay.
Actually, the only apps Apple allows for at the moment are audio (music, podcast, etc.), automaker and messaging apps: https://developer.apple.com/carplay/

So even if Google wanted to make CarPlay apps for the services he listed, they can't.
He's not being angry at the wrong company.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juicy Box

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Apple's not forbidding it, releasing an Amazon Video app for AppleTV is entirely up to Amazon, and it wouldn't need to be enormously different than their iOS app. On the other hand, Amazon is not merely not selling the AppleTV, they're forbidding any 3rd party seller from selling it on Amazon Marketplace. Using the pretense that "it can't do Amazon Video and we wouldn't want consumers to get confused" - translation: we want people to buy our FireTV instead, so we're blocking the competition rather than letting it compete on its own merits. (All the more galling because they are the ones creating the problem that they're "protecting" people from.)

So, things you can't buy from Amazon:
1. Weapons of Mass Destruction
2. The AppleTV.

I'd like Jeff Bezos to stop being a d*ck and port their existing iOS AmazonVideo app to the AppleTV. I have Amazon Prime and an Apple TV. If there was an app, I might buy some movies from Amazon (direct from the website, they don't have to give Apple a cut - same way I buy my Kindle books and Audible audiobooks). But if I can't watch them on my preferred device, then no deal.

The reason there is no Apple TV app from Amazon, is because Amazon doesn't like, and has never liked, Apple's revenue cut. Given Amazon's profit margin, it should be obvious why.

On iPhone and iPad, with Apple dominating the markets, they had no choice but to simply play by the rules but with a clunky workaround - you can't buy any content in their apps, and the app isn't even allowed to tell you why. The 1-star reviews they get because of this must drive them crazy.

With TV, Amazon senses Apple's weakness in the market and is choosing to apply pressure, by withholding their apps, and blocking device sales. Amazon wins if customers buy Amazon devices instead, or Apple caves. Amazon only loses in cases where the Apple faithful deny themselves a dirt cheap Amazon device, or refuse to use the Amazon app on their smart TV out of principle. Those latter numbers surely aren't going to grow as more and more new TVs come with Amazon apps preloaded.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Because cars are more important than TVs when it comes to entertainment.

Still waiting for the Apple TV app.

I wouldn't say that they feel that cars are more important. CarPlay has been out longer than the ATV4 and Amazon is just now getting around to doing this.
[doublepost=1490189973][/doublepost]
CarPlay. Let me tell you how extremely disappointed I am.
You are not the only one

Being stuck with Apple Maps really sucks. I wish Waze was there too.

Getting angry at the wrong company is not.
So, what company should he blame? It is Apple's system, even if Apple isn't preventing third-party navigation apps, if CarPlay is lacking in Apps, Apple is to blame. The same goes for lack of Apps for the Windows Phone, Android, and the ATV4.

You can't blame the developer for not having any incentive/reason to make apps for a OS. Ultimately, it is up to the Apple to give incentive to developers to make apps for their device.

All that said, I am pretty sure incentive isn't the issues for CarPlay, I think it had to do with Apple blocking third party apps on CarPlay.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
All I know is that I much prefer using CarPlay to my car's native navigation and music apps. Adding Amazon Music is great for me since all my music is stored with Amazon and I'm a Prime subscriber.

But feel free to keep derailing this thread and discussing things other than the Amazon Music CarPlay support, if that makes you happy ;)

Reactions: aarond12

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Why are you staring at your stereo when you should have your eyes on the road? They're muted so that the controls and title information are the most prominent, as they should be.

No, CarPlay is s joke because it can't do simple mirroring.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Get an Android phone. You can use Android Auto for all those things.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
Get an Android phone. You can use Android Auto for all those things.

....except Waze. (Yes I know they announced it but it's been over half a year and we still got nothing)

But AA is better than CarPlay. Get to see that glorious album art in the background while playing music, Google Maps, Waze coming soon (hopefully)...

CarPlay is just inferior. The ONLY feature CarPlay has that AA doesn't that I love is the CallKit feature. I can answer Messenger calls in the car. Wish AA has this otherwise there isn't really a reason to use AA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.