Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon appears to have recently added its popular "X-Ray" feature to the Amazon Prime Video app on the Apple TV.

X-Ray lets Amazon Prime Video users get more information about the TV shows and movies they're offering, with the feature providing cast and character information, trivia, bonus content, photo galleries, and more.

amazonprimeappletvxray-800x600.jpg

On Apple TV, the X-Ray feature can be used by tapping on the Apple Remote's main button and then swiping upwards after the "X-Ray" text appears on the screen.

From there, you can view information on the actors in a particular scene, jump to a different scene in a TV show or movie, see a full cast list, or read trivia facts.

amazonprimevideoxray2-800x600.jpg

On some titles, there's also a collection of bonus photos and videos to look through, with behind-the scenes information, concept art, set design, and more.

X-Ray is a feature that's available on most devices where Amazon Prime Video can be watched, but it wasn't added to the Apple TV until recently and wasn't an available option when the Amazon Prime Video app for Apple TV launched in 2017. X-Ray is also available on the Amazon Prime Video app for iOS.

(Thanks, Neil!)

Article Link: Amazon Prime Video App for Apple TV Gains 'X-Ray' Feature

Reactions: George Dawes

atxknepp

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
This is false. X-ray was available for several months when the Prime app first appeared on Apple TV and was one of my favorite features of the app. I was very disappointed when they removed the feature.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
This is false. X-ray was available for several months when the Prime app first appeared on Apple TV and was one of my favorite features of the app. I was very disappointed when they removed the feature.

Was it? I saw reports from when it launched that said it wasn't ever available. Either way, it's definitely back now and seems to be a recent addition.

Reactions: AngerDanger

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
I have to say, the Amazon app was total sh** when first released but it’s 100% better now. It actually looks and acts like a native tvOS app instead of a crappy web interface.

RavenTongue

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015
I’ve checked half a dozen movies that support x-ray and not one works on my Apple TV, but do on my iPad. I do see the release notes say “bug fix x-ray,” which seems to indicate the feature was already present before today. Not working for me and I’m on that current version. So either it’s still buggy or it’s server side and it’s not being turned on for everyone.

It’s a fun feature for movie buffs. I hope they get it squared away.

Reactions: ex0dus1985

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I have to say, the Amazon app was total sh** when first released but it’s 100% better now. It actually looks and acts like a native tvOS app instead of a crappy web interface.

Really? Here on my tv, it still seems pretty much the same as it was when it was launched. I wonder if there are multiple versions that are the 'latest' release.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
I’ve checked half a dozen movies that support x-ray and not one works on my Apple TV, but do on my iPad. I do see the release notes say “bug fix x-ray,” which seems to indicate the feature was already present before today. Not working for me and I’m on that current version. So either it’s still buggy or it’s server side and it’s not being turned on for everyone.

It’s a fun feature for movie buffs. I hope they get it squared away.
Same issue here.

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017

I still have two issues with the app, one which drives me crazy.

1) No sound feedback when swiping, which makes it seem non-native to me and makes it less exacting.

2) The damned Watch Next row keeps disappearing and I must futz with switching screens (go into Watchlist and back) over and over until it shows up. The iPad version does the same but I don’t use that anymore now that it’s on the Apple TV.

This second one drives me insane!

Amazon! Is it really so hard, setting ShowWatchNext = ALWAYS?

Reactions: orbital~debris

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
Great, they give us x-ray (which is hit and miss on the Kindle app) but can’t give us 5.1 Dolby on Amazon Originals. I’m still getting Original series in 2.0 stereo. Come on, Amazon. This has been an issue since the app came to Apple TV and still doesn’t work.

Reactions: orbital~debris

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
I deleted and reinstalled the app thinking it would be fixed. Still no X-Ray.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
For me, I get 5.1 with movies. But I’m stuck with 2.0 with Amazon Prime Originals, even brand new series.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.