Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I’m not a big fan of Louis Rossman, but this is an interesting discussion. if you don’t want to watch the video, basically what happened was an Amazon driver wearing headphones delivered a package. The driver misheard an automated response from their Eufy doorbell. Amazon completely shut down the customer's account, locking him out of his smart home devices. I’m not sure if he had any way to manually override, but it sucks when you can’t turn on lights or use heat or AC because you have a smart thermostat that’s nonfunctional. He was able to get the situation resolved, but it wasn’t right away so he was without his smart functionality for a week or so.

My question is for those who have these automations and smart home devices. Do you have some type of backup system in case someone at whatever corporation decides to disconnect you? Can you still control your air-conditioning and heat without using the smart thermostat or would you have to install a non smart replacement? This is kind of scary as I think eventually we’re all going to live in smart homes where everything is controlled by some type of Alexa or Siri device.

Last edited:

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
basically what happened was an Amazon driver wearing headphones delivered a package. The driver misheard an automated response from their Eufy doorbell. Amazon completely shut down this guy’s account, locking him out of his smart home devices. I’m not sure if he had any way to manually override, but it sucks when you can’t turn on lights or use heat or AC because you have a smart thermostat that’s nonfunctional. He was able to get the situation resolved, but it wasn’t right away so he was without his smart functionality for a week or so.

Whose home was shut down the Amazon driver's home or the Amazon customer's home?

Personally I wouldn't want wifi enabled HVAC or wifi most things as they draw more power than their non-wifi counterpart.

I even regret getting those smart speakers and smart wall clock. Smart wall clock is kinda nice if you're OCD with keeping time accurate to a second automatically.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Whose home was shut down the Amazon driver's home or the Amazon customer's home?
The customer's house. The Amazon driver was wearing headphones and misheard the automated response from the camera doorbell. He thought it said something inappropriate so he reported it and Amazon shut down the customers account which shut down his Smart home. What they should’ve done is maybe suspend his delivery services until the situation was resolved. Since it was a smart doorbell with a camera, he had a recording of exactly what happened so he was able to send that to Amazon and they reinstated his account. The problem was it took them a week or so. After that, they reinstated him but acted like nothing happened. No apology or anything.

Personally I wouldn't want wifi enabled HVAC or wifi most things as they draw more power than their non-wifi counterpart.
The only thing I have is smart lights, but I still have the old manual switch so, if somehow the smart functionality was disabled, I could still control them manually.

I even regret getting those smart speakers and smart wall clock. Smart wall clock is kinda nice if you're OCD with keeping time accurate to a second automatically.

I don’t have a smart clock, but that sounds pretty cool. I like Smart home devices, but have never really thought about how they are dependent on someone else’s server. If they pull the plug, none of your stuff works. That really concerns me because I figure in ten years everything in the house is going to be automated by some sort of voice assistant. It’s going to be Hey ____ preheat the oven to 350. Will the oven still work if Amazon thinks I did something bad?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
The customer's house. The Amazon driver was wearing headphones and misheard the automated response from the camera doorbell. He thought it said something inappropriate so he reported it and Amazon shut down the customers account which shut down his Smart home.

Amazon could have sneak a peak from the automated response to verify what the driver said.

If there was an seamless alternative to Amazon that homeowner would have probably switched to them.

What they should’ve done is maybe suspend his delivery services until the situation was resolved. Since it was a smart doorbell with a camera, he had a recording of exactly what happened so he was able to send that to Amazon and they reinstated his account. The problem was it took them a week or so. After that, they reinstated him but acted like nothing happened. No apology or anything.

Imagine if Amazon deleted the homeowner's account?

The only thing I have is smart lights, but I still have the old manual switch so, if somehow the smart functionality was disabled, I could still control them manually.

We have the smart lights that allow the change of LED colors but the lumens per watt is worse than dumb LEDs.

We have a manual switch so after the novelty wore off we never toyed with it again.

I don’t have a smart clock, but that sounds pretty cool. I like Smart home devices, but have never really thought about how they are dependent on someone else’s server. If they pull the plug, none of your stuff works. That really concerns me because I figure in ten years everything in the house is going to be automated by some sort of voice assistant. It’s going to be Hey ____ preheat the oven to 350. Will the oven still work if Amazon thinks I did something bad?

The Echo Dot was bought to work with the smart wall clock. The girlfriend encouraged me to get one.

Nice novelty but the smart speaker just replicates an iPad or iPhone ability to do Podcasts.

Only "smart" device I'd want would be a doorbell or surveillance camera so it gets forwarded to me.

Reactions: russell_314

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
The closest thing I have to a smart device is an Apple TV. No smart locks, thermostats, lights, surveillance systems or anything. However, the electric company says I will soon be updated to a smart meter. I guess that could be the ultimate "shutdown" device. :eek:

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Amazon could have sneak a peak from the automated response to verify what the driver said.
it wasn’t a ring camera. It was a Eufy camera But for some reason the homeowner said Amazon told him it was a ring camera. Maybe if it was a ring camera it would’ve been easier for Amazon to clear up what happened because they could’ve just accessed it directly.

If there was an seamless alternative to Amazon that homeowner would have probably switched to them.
Unfortunately, there is no good alternative. You have Google isn’t really great and then there’s Apple. The bad thing is you can’t just switch because many devices are specific to that company. You can’t just take your Google nest thermostat and put it on Amazon or your ring camera and put it on Google

Imagine if Amazon deleted the homeowner's account?
that would’ve been terrible. At least he was able to show Amazon what actually happened and they reinstated his account. I feel like they owe him some sort of apology at the minimum but companies like that will never apologize.

We have the smart lights that allow the change of LED colors but the lumens per watt is worse than dumb LEDs.

We have a manual switch so after the novelty wore off we never toyed with it again.
I see colorful lights advertised a lot, but I’ve never understood why I would want different colors. Maybe I’m just old and boring. I guess if it was for relaxation or something, maybe some color would help.

The Echo Dot was bought to work with the smart wall clock. The girlfriend encouraged me to get one.

Nice novelty but the smart speaker just replicates an iPad or iPhone ability to do Podcasts.

Only "smart" device I'd want would be a doorbell or surveillance camera so it gets forwarded to me.

I have a HomePod mini. It’s good for me to tell it to turn off the lights and it gets it right about 90% of the time. That sounds like a good percentage but having your lights come on and off is something you do frequently so you want it to be 100%. Imagine if your car only started 90% of the time. That would be annoying. You couldn’t even sell a manual switch that only turned the lights on 90% of the time. People would say it’s defective but with the smart light, it’s considered acceptable.

The closest thing I have to a smart device is an Apple TV. No smart locks, thermostats, lights, surveillance systems or anything. However, the electric company says I will soon be updated to a smart meter. I guess that could be the ultimate "shutdown" device. :eek:
You never wanted to be able to say hey ___ turn on the bathroom light or something and it just happen? Sure you can turn on the light as you walk into the bathroom so it’s not that big a deal I guess. The one time I feel it’s helpful is when I’m already in bed and then I realize oh no I left the light on. Sure I can get up, but the lazy me is so happy I can tell Siri to do it.

I think you’re fairly safe with the smart meter. That’s just the electric company eliminating the job of the guy that has to come out and read meters manually. Sure it makes it easier for them to shut you down but I’m pretty sure as long as you’re paying your bill they wouldn’t do that.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
it wasn’t a ring camera. It was a Eufy camera But for some reason the homeowner said Amazon told him it was a ring camera. Maybe if it was a ring camera it would’ve been easier for Amazon to clear up what happened because they could’ve just accessed it directly.

Unfortunately, there is no good alternative. You have Google isn’t really great and then there’s Apple. The bad thing is you can’t just switch because many devices are specific to that company. You can’t just take your Google nest thermostat and put it on Amazon or your ring camera and put it on Google

that would’ve been terrible. At least he was able to show Amazon what actually happened and they reinstated his account. I feel like they owe him some sort of apology at the minimum but companies like that will never apologize.

I see colorful lights advertised a lot, but I’ve never understood why I would want different colors. Maybe I’m just old and boring. I guess if it was for relaxation or something, maybe some color would help.

I have a HomePod mini. It’s good for me to tell it to turn off the lights and it gets it right about 90% of the time. That sounds like a good percentage but having your lights come on and off is something you do frequently so you want it to be 100%. Imagine if your car only started 90% of the time. That would be annoying. You couldn’t even sell a manual switch that only turned the lights on 90% of the time. People would say it’s defective but with the smart light, it’s considered acceptable.

You never wanted to be able to say hey ___ turn on the bathroom light or something and it just happen? Sure you can turn on the light as you walk into the bathroom so it’s not that big a deal I guess. The one time I feel it’s helpful is when I’m already in bed and then I realize oh no I left the light on. Sure I can get up, but the lazy me is so happy I can tell Siri to do it.

I think you’re fairly safe with the smart meter. That’s just the electric company eliminating the job of the guy that has to come out and read meters manually. Sure it makes it easier for them to shut you down but I’m pretty sure as long as you’re paying your bill they wouldn’t do that.
Smart anything's e-waste to me and a waste of money. Call me a millennial but the only smart device I'd allow are

- smartphone
- laptop
- desktop
- tablet
- watch
- tv

For these devices I'd rather have it be locally stored but accessible via smartphone/tablet app

- doorbell
- surveillance camera

Other than that I prefer dumb devices for HVAC, washing machine, stoves, home appliances, rice cooker, vacuum cleaners, electric fans, etc

All these smart devices just increases power consumption and likely break more easily so you end up buying another one.

I do like the smart echo wall clock because it is accurate to the second.

Last edited:

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
Terrific, thought-provoking and unsettling thread.

Anyway, I'm with @Longplays on this, and not just because of e-waste reasons.
When I say they're e-waste I mean they're waste of money.

Wifi-enabled devices are just more expensive and end up being redundant.

Like say the Echo Dot or smart speakers. I find my iPhone and iPad speakers are more than sufficient to my personal enjoyment.

If I want amplification then I'd get the standard speakers then wire them into the iPhone/iPad/etc.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
If I ever went with a smart home. I’d go the old fashioned route of local control. It’s possible. Just more work to setup.

That being said. What is offered doesn’t interest me much. I want stuff like my meals prepared, all steps of doing dishes, laundry done and put away. You know the real time sinks.

Adjusting a thermostat. Turning on/off lights. Opening blinds. Those are all quick and trivial tasks. Automating that won’t make much of a difference.

The most I’ve done is some dumb motion sensors for turning on lights in some rooms.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
That being said. What is offered doesn’t interest me much. I want stuff like my meals prepared, all steps of doing dishes, laundry done and put away. You know the real time sinks.
If you can afford it get a house keeper/maid.

A perk of living in a poor country is that you can hire a stay-in English speaking one for $4,461.82/year + public healthcare.

Have a US-style home and you'd only need 1.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
If you're using HomeKit a thief that stole your password can lock you out of your phone AND your home as well. Think about that.

• Wow
Reactions: dk001

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
if you don’t want to watch the video, basically what happened was an Amazon driver wearing headphones delivered a package.

Transcript from an AI service

transcript said:
Hello, everybody. How's it going? I hope you're loving a lovely day. Today, I would like to go over reason number 80 million that you should not be having stuff in your house.

Connect to Amazon servers for things like critical infrastructure, whether it is your camera systems, your doorbell, or any part of your home. This comes from Mr. Brandon Jackson.

It says, On Wednesday, May 31, 2023, I finally regained access to my Amazon account after an unexpected and unwarranted lockout that lasted about a week from Thursday, May 25. This wasn't just a simple inconvenience. I have a smart home.

Smart home, and my primary method of interfacing with all the devices and automations is through Amazon Echo devices via Alexa. The incident left me with a house full of unresponsive devices, a silent Alexa, and a lot of questions. The sequence of events that led to this digital exile began.

Innocuously enough, a package was delivered to my house on Wednesday, May 24, and everything seemed fine. The following day, however, I found that my Echo show had signed out, and I was unable to interact with my smart home devices. My initial assumption was that somebody might have attempted to access my account repeatedly, triggering a lockout.

I use a fairly old email address from my Amazon account, and it's plausible that an old password might have been exposed in a past data breach. However, I currently use strong autogenerated passwords via Apple and employ two factor authentication with an authenticator app, so unauthorized access seemed unlikely. I swiftly checked my other accounts social media, streaming, et cetera, to ensure that I hadn’t been compromised.

All seemed normal, with no flood of notifications from Microsoft Authenticator that would indicate an attempted breach. Puzzled, I found the advice of the Amazon app and dialed the customer service number it provided. That's when things began to take a surreal turn.

The representative told me that I should have received an email, which I indeed found in my inbox. It was from an executive at Amazon. As I dialed the number provided in the email, I half wondered if Amazon was experiencing some issues and I was unwittingly falling for a scam.

You don't expect trillion dollar companies to email you and then have them say, call me back, bro, so I completely understand where he's coming from. When I connected with the executive, they asked if I knew why my account had been locked. When I answered, I was unsure.

Their tone turned somewhat accusatory. I was told that the driver who had delivered my package reported receiving racist remarks from my ring doorbell. It's actually a UFI, but I'll let that slide.

Here's where things got even more baffling. First, I have multiple cameras recording everything that happens on my property. By the way, I hope those cameras are going to a local NVR.

If the driver's claims were accurate, I could easily verify them with video footage. Second, most delivery drivers in my area share the same race as me and my family. It seems highly unlikely that we would make such remarks.

Finally, when I asked what time the alleged incident occurred, I realized it was practically impossible for anyone in my house to have made those comments, as nobody was home around that time, approximately six five P-M-I reviewed the footage and confirmed that no such comments had been made. Instead, the UFI doorbell had issued an automated response. Excuse me, can I help you? The driver who was walking away and wearing headphones must have misinterpreted the message.

Nevertheless, by the following day, my Amazon account was locked and all my Echo devices were logged out. Let me be clear. I fully support Amazon taking measures to ensure the safety of their drivers.

However, I question why my entire smart home had to be rendered unusable during their internal investigation. It seems more sensible to impose a temporary delivery restriction or purchasing ban on my account. Submitting video evidence from multiple angles right after my initial call with the executive appeared to have little impact on their decision to disable my account.

This incident has led me to question my relationship with Amazon. After nearly a decade of loyalty, I’ve been given a harsh reminder that a misunderstanding can lead to such drastic measures. It seems more reasonable to handle such issues in a more compartmentalized way, rather than a blanket shutdown of all services.

Due to this experience, I'm seriously considering discontinuing my use of Amazon Echo devices and will caution others about this incident. BlackBerry, you are on the wrong side of the chair, and if you step on my keyboard and hit the spacebar, you are going to get it, girl. You're going to get it.

Left side of the chair, Barry. Good, Barry. Due to this experience, I am seriously considering discontinuing my use of Amazon Echo devices and will caution others about this incident.

This ordeal has made the case for a more personalized home assistance system, perhaps using Raspberry Pi devices scattered around the house. Despite promptly submitting video evidence immediately upon learning of my issue, my account remained locked. The timing couldn't have been worse.

The onset of Labor Day weekend was approaching, and I was keen to resolve the issue before the long weekend. However, despite numerous calls and emails, it wasn't until Friday afternoon that I had received confirmation that the investigation had started. I was told to expect the response within two business days, meaning not until Tuesday of the following week at the earliest.

In the end, my account was unlocked on Wednesday with no follow up email to inform me of the resolution. This is one of those things where instead of this drives me nuts. So instead of apologizing for the fact that they ****ed with somebody who purchased items in their home that apparently they don’t have permission to use, if a delivery driver mishears a ****ing automated doorbell, that they can't even just say, hey, man, we're sorry we ****ed up.

We realized there was nobody actually there. Have you ever dealt with one of those situations where there’s somebody in your life that does something massively screwed up and they realize that they did something massively screwed up, and then the moment they realize it and they undo whatever it is that they did, they just walk away? Or they just say well, they just don't say anything. Don't even make eye contact.

Rather than be mad enough to go, hey, man, I'm sorry I screwed up. It's just a piece of **** way to behave. Speaking of piece of **** ways to behave, somebody is supposed to stay on the left side of the chair like Barry.

This incident stands as a stark reminder of the need for better customer service and a more nuanced approach to incident management. Through sharing my experience, I hope to encourage Amazon to reform and rethink their approach to handling such situations. In the future, it's essential for customers tofeel confident in the security and reliability of their services, especially when those services are integral tothe functionality of their homes.

It's time for Amazon to take a more customer focused approach to problem solving and conflict resolution. So let's get this straight. If a delivery driver for the company disapproves of you for any reason, you can have your actual account shut down.

The devices that you use in your home may not work. Have you ever had an issue with a postal worker, an Ups delivery person, a FedEx delivery person before in your life? Can you imagine if that issue that you had with that delivery person resulted in items inside of your home that you bought and paid for, no longer functioning and working? This is why I think it is paramount that the infrastructure in your home be as sovereign as possible. Do not have your light switches or your radios or anything else in your home connecting to other people's servers to get permission to turn on.

That is a mess waiting to happen, because again, all it takes is an Amazon delivery driver who's having a bad day to literally ruin your home. An unfounded accusation of racism means that infrastructure inside your home can stop working. This is the problem.

When you give too much control to one company, and particularly when that control that you're giving is your devices inside of your home connecting to their servers. You could literally be in a situation where somebody making an unfounded, untrue, demonstrably proven untrue accusation of racism against you causes your internal home infrastructure to stop working. That's ****ing insane.

I completely understand and respect that. The target demographic of this channel. The people that tend to show up in my comment section and show up to meetups are not the people who need to hear this public service announcement.
You guys are ripping the computers out of as many things as possible that do not read a computer because you don't want to live in a world where the infrastructure in your house stops working because some douchebag at Amazon decided to listen to the unverified claims of someone who misheard a ring doorbell. However, there are many other people out there that actually believe it's a good idea to have the infrastructure in their house connect to somebody else's servers. Sending those other people information, making their house completely dependent on some douchebag that works at Amazon for the ability of their devices at home to work that doesn't even have the courtesy to apologize when proven that they were wrong for turning off what you bought and paid for.

Don't have this stuff inside your house. You don't need a smart home. Am I allowed to say that you don’t need a home that connects to other people's servers? You are fine without it.

You don't need it. Now, if you want a light to turn on, turn the ****ing switch. What I have over here, if I want to listen to music, got a computer.

That computer has a program that runs locally, plays my music when I wand that I ripped off of my albums. That plugs into a nice little rotel RB 1090 amplifier over there. That thing doesn't connect to the internet at all.

Jeff Bezos can't turn that thing off if he wants to. Hell, that thing doesn't even have a remote. I had to get a separate thing that you can plug an item into that doesn't have a remote that is literally just a relay so that I can turn it on and off when I want to without having to get up and walk over to it.

That plugs into a set of nice Vanderstein model threes. I got all my acoustic panels over here. This thing sounds way better than some ****** ass little cloud bluetooth speaker.

Listen to this. Ten times better than the Amazon ********. Really, honestly, truly, in your heart of hearts, how much **** in your house do you need to connect to the ****ing internet? And goddamn, it sounds great.

And it don't connect to **** that I don't want it to connect to. And that's how it is. I have a folder of music.

I play it. It's beautiful. It's great.

I can have a nice romantic evening. I could play shastakovich. I could play opera whatever I want.

I got acoustic panels everywhere. There are so many ways to have fun in your home without connecting Amazon. Why do you got to connect Amazon? The turn all your **** on.

Turn the **** on yourself. That's it for today. And as always, I hope you learned something.

I'll see you in the next video. Bye now.

Reactions: strongy

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Never ever let a corporation see or hear what happens in your private life. They are only out for themselves and will stop at nothing to excerpt more control.

What about if this delivery driver saw an election sign supporting a candidate they don’t? Claim racism and shut down the guys entire house?

This is why I don’t have a ring doorbell and all my cameras are stored locally.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So this guy had a bunch of Amazon smart devices? I have a bunch of smart devices but from different manufacturers. The only Amazon smart device I have is the ring doorbell. The most important smart device, the thermostat thankfully doesn't need to be connected to the internet. If anything every happened to it, I could swap it out with a manual model.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Really disappointing from Amazon. Every time I considered going down the smart home path, I realised it wasn't worth it compared to just having to manually turn on a light.
Also, they probably collect data from you too... do you want Amazon to know when you go to bed?

huge_apple_fangirl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2019
This story seems unlikely- however- this is just another reason to avoid “smart homes”. Don’t pay corporations to spy on you and control your property. Bad enough that the government does that.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Does anyone have a source other than Rossman? This is the same guy who was screaming when a packet went to the internet that Apple was secretly scanning your hard drive and was going to start scanning for “cartoons of the prophet”. He’s not big on fact checking, or common sense. Loves that sweet, sweet traffic though.

Last edited:

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Does anyone have a source other than Rossman?
The (alleged) source himself:
I’ve shared this with Louis Rossmann. I shared with him the videos and emails and he verified this really did happen.

If true, I agree. It's insane and frightening that a completely unverified - though easily disprovable - (racism) imputation is enough to impact your actual devices.
Sounds like vigilante justice but it is a good reminder for people not to depend too much on the internet/cloud.

I was not truly in the dark for a week. My smart home runs mostly locally and Alexa really is just a polymorphic interface. I was just able to use Siri. Though out of habit I’d sometimes say “alexa” only for her to remind me how stupid I was.

Last edited:

stefanski

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2004
Australia
People believe anything these days...
Amazon couldn't care less about some joker out there. This whole story is just clickbait and attention seeking.

You have a smart home, then that's fine. You don't want one? That's totally fine as well. Nobody is going to lock you out of anything. Unless you are forced to now go to a subscription model when things used to be free before. That is a sneaky move indeed.

The rest is just social media crap until proven true. And no, sending some videos to another guy with a checkered past record is hardly proof.

Have fun out there.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
People believe anything these days...
Amazon couldn't care less about some joker out there. This whole story is just clickbait and attention seeking.
So you think he’s lying? I mean I guess that’s possible but we could say that about every story or even stuff people post here. I think if you just go by the default “well they’re probably lying” then you couldn’t discuss anything because everything could be a lie.

I’m not a big fan of Louis Rossman. Actually I don’t really like the guy, but and even if this is a completely fabricated story where him and his buddy got together and made this whole thing up, it’s still something that could happen. I think it’s important to discuss the possibility because smart home devices are becoming more popular.

You have a smart home, then that's fine. You don't want one? That's totally fine as well. Nobody is going to lock you out of anything. Unless you are forced to now go to a subscription model when things used to be free before. That is a sneaky move indeed.
Without support from the servers some smart home devices won’t work. Think what would happen if your Apple ID was suspended. Your Apple devices could not access any Apple services. Do you really think your HomePod would work at that point? I don’t think anything would work if it wasn’t signed in to your account. I’m pretty sure it’s the same with Amazon.

I have smart home devices, so I’m not against them. I’m just asking people‘s thoughts on having their devices dependent on support of a corporation that could decide they no longer want to support them. It’s one thing if your Netflix account is terminated for violation of TOS. You don’t get to watch Netflix and you might miss the next episode in your favorite TV show or something like that. No big deal but if you have a smart home that is not capable of operating without that support, then all your devices are non-functional. I don’t think we’re at that point now where most houses have this issue, but in 10 years we might be there. I think it’s important to have devices that are capable of some sort of manual override and can’t be remotely disabled.

Reactions: dk001, max2 and arw

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
When I read stuff like this I suspect I am living in some kind of technological stone age.

I can safely say we have not one piece of "smart" equipment in our household — I don't mean that to come across as some sort of badge of honour — it's just what it is.

The front door lets me in when I put a key in the little slotty thing above the handle and give it a twist — unless I have locked myself out. In which event I'll go and get the key to the backdoor from under the 2nd tile to the left of the garden shed… (Or go next door and have some tea with the neighbour while waiting for my significantly better other to get home.)

The fridge cools stuff and doesn't need to tell me or my husband we're out of milk or butter… the freezer freezes perishables and has no reason to be "smart" enough to let me know we're running low on essentials. I'm still compos mentis enough to realise we're low on Vodka!

Why would I want to speak to Alexa or — god forbid — Siri to switch on my bathroom light? Surely flicking a switch is easier and quieter without me feeling like a dork having to mumble incantations out loud in the small hours of the morning.
Hell, I can only imagine what could happen if I had to: "Hey Siri! Switch on the bathroom lights!" I'm sure she/he/them/they will set off the car alarm instead while giving the cat a heart attack.

And as for a camera at the front or back door… why? Most of the times it isn't even locked. (I can smell the fear from across the pond at that thought! 🙂)

The radiators' thermostat — That might be useful. But for now the buttons and dials work well — that is until we change the clocks again in October.

Coloured mood lights? You have got to be kidding!

Still, each to their own I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.