Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I patched my RX 6600 XT a few days ago with Syncretics patcher (HUGE THANK YOU FOR THAT!!) and everything works perfectly in my cMP4 (Patched to 5) but 1 thing. My monitor settings keep resetting after restart and I have to switch the main screen (changing DP cables doesn't work), switching sides from left to right and switching variable frame rate 40-60 to 60. Anyone knows how to fix it and help my old lady remember the settings?

Big thanks to all of you and I wish you a great start to the new week!
Interesting, what is your display?

I don't remember anyone ever writing about this issue with a MacPro5,1 in the last few years, but seems that some people with a Mac Studio and Studio display are having it.

Omnath

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2021
Interesting, what is your display?

I don't remember anyone ever writing about this issue with a MacPro5,1 in the last few years, but seems that some people with a Mac Studio and Studio display are having it.
I use 2 Benq EW3270U connected via display port

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
yes I do use his package and before everything worked pretty well. only thing thats not working is sleep mode sadly.
You may also want to try and power down the BenQ and remove the power connection. Wait a few minutes then reconnect it. I had issues with my Benq 32 inch when connected with a display port cable and the power cycle helped but, sometimes it would black out. I wound up connecting it via HDMI cable and hdmi port and its been good ever since. They seem to get stuck sometimes so it could be the monitor and not the Mac. I am also running 12.3.1 no issues with my three monitor.

Omnath

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2021
Did you checked the RTC BR2032 battery? A stuck RTC make the Mac Pro crazy.
I did replace it after you told me and now sleep mode works again :D Thank you very much!! As for my other problems it seems to help a bit but sometimes I need to change all settings again after restart and sometimes not all of them. 1 Time everything was saved so I hope it gets better with time 😂

You may also want to try and power down the BenQ and remove the power connection. Wait a few minutes then reconnect it. I had issues with my Benq 32 inch when connected with a display port cable and the power cycle helped but, sometimes it would black out. I wound up connecting it via HDMI cable and hdmi port and its been good ever since. They seem to get stuck sometimes so it could be the monitor and not the Mac. I am also running 12.3.1 no issues with my three monitor.
Thank you very much! Will do that next week and hopefully that helps for the rest which doesn't work reliably yet.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I did replace it after you told me and now sleep mode works again :D Thank you very much!! As for my other problems it seems to help a bit but sometimes I need to change all settings again after restart and sometimes not all of them. 1 Time everything was saved so I hope it gets better with time 😂
Do a clean install of 12.5 to an empty disk and check if things work better. With the sleep crashes caused by the stuck RTC, I'd also check if your Mac Pro NVRAM volume is still healthy, the crashes make a real mess with the main VSS store and I bet that you will find issues with your NVRAM volume.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia

While their image quality is excellent, BenQ displays (at least the SW series) are squirrelly on Displayport. My SW 240s on DP when the system goes to sleep, the power LED is either solid on, or solid off - connect via HDMI, and they pulse when sleeping. SW270c connected via DP it disconnects from the system when sleeping, messing up window arrangements, as it's wake to image time is about 5 seconds, vs ~1 second for SW240s.

Reactions: lancemcv1

Ashok.Vardhan

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Visakhapatnam, India
Attached is a patched version of the W6800 reference BIOS from TechPowerUp.com - if your card uses a different version, dump the ROM and PM it to me, and I'll have a look when I get back from holiday. IMPORTANT NOTE: I do not own a W6800, so the attached ROM has not been tested - whoever tries this is the guinea pig for this ROM. (That said, the patch is basically identical to the earlier ones, so it seems likely it should work without issues.)

SUCCESS!!!!

The W6800 is working perfectly in my MacPro 5,1 (mid-2012) after flashing @Syncretic's patched ROM onto it.

As indicated earlier, to get the x6xxx series cards to work natively after flashing their ROMs using the patcher, the minimum needed:

macOS BigSur (or higher) along with Open Core.

I am using Monterey & Martin Lo's 0.8.0 Open Core build.
Ashok.Vardhan_MacPro-1.png
Ashok.Vardhan_MacPro-2.png
Ashok.Vardhan_MacPro-3.jpg

Last edited:

Ashok.Vardhan

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Visakhapatnam, India
the 6x displayport config of that card is kinda hot... can you get it to full 10 bit colour (ARGB2101010)?
What I have typically seen is that, that is a function that depends more on the monitor (for a card that is capable enough--which the W6800 most definitely is).

Currently, I am not using a monitor setup that will make the most optimal use of the card (usually HDR monitors are fairly expensive, some of my color-correction friends use them, my plan was to go for that upgrade next, when I have the budget for it) however, I am making do with a basic UHD monitor from LG.

This according to the AMD marketing information "Even if you want to use 10bit for truer colors" :

W6800-Marketing_Info.png

The cameras that I use can shoot 10bit and 12bit, but I doubt my monitor can view that level of footage accurately.

These are the options that are possible on my GPU (whether the monitor support them is a different issue):
Color-Profile-2.png
Color-Profile-1.png

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
These are the options that are possible on my GPU (whether the monitor support them is a different issue):
Use AllRez to list display modes. For Intel Macs, each display mode will include color info such as depth (8,10,12 bpc), pixel encoding (RGB/444/422/420), dynamic range (HDR10/SDR/Dolby Normal/Dolby Tunnel), etc. The Colour Profiles are something else. I'm not sure they affect the display modes but you can try comparing the output of AllRez between REC.2020 and Rec.709 for example since the display modes do have a colorimetry setting (NativeRGB/sRGB/DCIP3/AdobeRGB/xvYCC/WGRGB/BT601/BT709/BT2020/BT2100).

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
SUCCESS!!!!

The W6800 is working perfectly in my MacPro 5,1 (mid-2012) after flashing @Syncretic's patched ROM onto it.
Excellent! It’s a fine card.

You now have one of the highest spec 5,1 machines here. :) And look inside, it doesn’t grab all of your PCI slots.

Tomabe

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2022
Hello everyone.

I posted this in a MacRumors channel on OpenCore, and thought I might post here as well.
I am having a problem with my Mac Pro 5,1 2010 - it won’t boot. It was working well, then just stopped. I am not a Mac expert and just followed recipes to upgrade it via OpenCore.

The original specs of the 5,1 (2010) BEFORE upgrading:
Dual X5690 6 Cores @ 3.46Ghz
48Gb RAM
NVIDA GTX780
SSD boot drive with OSX 10.13.6

================

What I then did:
Exchanged the GTX 780 for an AMD Radeon 7950
Upgraded to 10.14.6

Then used Martin Lo OpenCore 0.8.0 and his online video to upgrade to OSX 11.6.8
Had a bad RAM chip (associated light on the backboard lit up and RAM info said 40Gb RAM instead of 48Gb) so I removed it and Installed 96 Gb RAM (4 x 8 and 4 x 16). All was well.

Then upgraded to OSX 12.3.1 and installed an AMD 6900XT from MacVidCards Europe powered by an external Corsair CS 750M PSU.

Everything worked perfectly and I was able to use the latest version of Blender and render on the AMD card (this was the goal of upgrading). YAY! Blender is s 3D program that when rendering, can make use of the GPU and will max any GPU it can use while doing so.

After a few days, the Mac Pro internal power supply suddenly started clicking and was rapidly turning off and on in about half a second intervals. I can tell it was turning off and on because the side light of the AMD GPU was flashing on and off in synch with the clicking. The Mac Pro was not bootable. I replaced the power supply with another used one and the clicking stopped but the Mac is still not bootable. Pressing the front ‘on’ button does nothing other than a ‘click’, which seems to be coming from the power supply. No power button front light comes on.

================

What I then tried:

Besides replacing the power supply - I have another Mac Pro 5,1 (2010) (Mac Pro B) running Martin Lo OpenCore 0.8.0, OSX 11.6.8 on an SSD and another GTX780. I put that SSD into the non-booting Mac Pro ‘A’ - and removed all other hard drives - still won’t boot.

Checked the battery - it’s good.

Unplugged for 1 minute and re-booted … nothing.

Pushed the DIAG button on the back-plane board - the 5V STBY LED turns amber.

Exchanged the RTX 6900XT for the old AMD Radeon 7950 … same. It clicks with the original power supply no matter the GPU and doesn’t click with the new power supply. But in either case the Mac Pro will not power on - no light at the front of the power button and if the AMD 6900XT is in, it does not light up with the new power supply.

Even though the 6900XT is powered by an external PSU, is this, in combination with the other specs, too much for the Mac Pro? Any thoughts about what might be the problem and how to fix it?

troncomac

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
Hi. I recently updated the 7950HD in my cMP 5.1 with a 6600XT with modded bios. Everything worked fine so far except for having to reset PRAM each time I changed monitor configurations. Now I replaced the second monitor with an Apple Cinema Display (old 23" model) connected with a DVI to HDMI adapter (and kept as main monitor my 4k samsung connected via displayport) but since then I'm not able to see any image on both screens. Tried resetting PRAM several times, exchanging the ports and finally I disconnected the ACD leaving just one monitor. But no success! Everything is BLACK and OC boot loader does not show up. Though I suspect the system boots since I hear disks spinning but no image appears... Any advice?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Hi. I recently updated the 7950HD in my cMP 5.1 with a 6600XT with modded bios. Everything worked fine so far except for having to reset PRAM each time I changed monitor configurations. Now I replaced the second monitor with an Apple Cinema Display (old 23" model) connected with a DVI to HDMI adapter (and kept as main monitor my 4k samsung connected via displayport) but since then I'm not able to see any image on both screens. Tried resetting PRAM several times, exchanging the ports and finally I disconnected the ACD leaving just one monitor. But no success! Everything is BLACK and OC boot loader does not show up. Though I suspect the system boots since I hear disks spinning but no image appears... Any advice?
You need to provide a debug log from a debug OC build.

troncomac

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
Can u please tell me how to do? I enabled (I think) debugging on the OC partition which has problems but no log (or txt) file is generated... where is supposed to be generated?

troncomac

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
That instructions I followed... but could not find any txt file. Is it possibile to create a USB key simply for debugging?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
That instructions I followed... but could not find any txt file. Is it possibile to create a USB key simply for debugging?
The log file is on the EFI partition where OC resides. If you can't find it there you did not follow the instructions. Remember you need to swap files from the debug version not only enable debugging in the config file.

troncomac

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
OK thanks. Today I removed all PCIe cards, swapped the 2032 battery and then only reinstalled the graphics card. The system booted. When I rebooted it began with kernel panics and reboots and now screen is black again. BTW OC 0.8 and the latest Martin LO config file is the right combination?

ssj92

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2022
East Bay, CA
For those running RX 6800/XT/6900 XT in a Mac Pro 7,1 can you tell me if you can edit 8K HVEC 8-Bit video smoothly in FCPX? Timeline or even just playback of a video?

Debating whether I want to go eGPU + RX route for my iMac Pro or do a Mac Studio build.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.