Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On Monday, a report from South Korea's ET News claimed that Apple's transition to a full OLED iPhone lineup will be complete in 2019. This would mark the first time Apple has relied entirely on the organic light-emitting diode panel technology and not included LCD panels in any way, but now a group of analysts have responded to the report and argued that the 2019 timeframe might be inaccurate (via Bloomberg).

iphonexretinadisplay.jpg

Jay Kwon, an analyst with JPMorgan, said that it's too early for a switch to OLED-only production for the iPhone. This is because the OLED screens would make the smartphones more expensive, removing the chance for a "low-cost" iPhone model like the LCD version believed to be coming in 2018, and Kwon argued that Apple likely needs more time to find additional OLED suppliers besides its current sole supplier in Samsung Display.
While Apple has embraced OLED, most analysts said they don't see the switch happening in 2019.

"It is unlikely that Apple will be releasing three OLED models next year," said Jeff Pu, an analyst at Taipei-based Yuanta Securities Investment Consulting. The other major OLED supplier, LG Display, has struggled to move into mass production and isn't likely to boost OLED production for Apple in 2019 from 5 million to 10 million units expected this year, he said.
While rumors about Apple's incoming shift to an entire OLED iPhone lineup have been around for over a year, shares of suppliers reacted quickly in response to the new report from ET News. Goldman Sachs analysts Daiki Takayama and Jie Dai believed that "share prices have overreacted" to the news, because they "think it is unlikely that all 2019 iPhone models will switch to OLED screens."

Arthur Liao, an analyst with Fubon Securities, said he has not heard anything from his own supply chain sources in Taiwan regarding Apple moving to all OLED iPhone models in 2019. Most analysts repeatedly pointed towards pricing as an issue, including IHS Markit analyst Jerry Kang: "Apple hasn't been able to expand on its iPhone X production because of market demand and price issues." Kang said that while Apple's plan is to ultimately "go full OLED," the real "question mark" is determining what year the company will make that shift.

In an effort to reduce reliance on Samsung Display, Apple has reportedly invested billions of dollars to help LG get up and running with OLED technology, and LG has been rumored to be the supplier for this year's "iPhone X Plus." Besides that model, Apple is predicted to release two other iPhones in 2018: a second generation iPhone X and a low-cost, 6.1-inch option with a similar full-face display as seen on the iPhone X, but with LCD rather than an OLED display.

Article Link: Analysts Cast Doubt on Report of Apple's Transition to Full OLED iPhone Lineup in 2019

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009

On Monday, a report from South Korea's ET News claimed that Apple's transition to a full OLED iPhone lineup will be complete in 2019. This would mark the first time Apple has relied entirely on the organic light-emitting diode panel technology and not included LCD panels in any way, but now a group of analysts have responded to the report and argued that the 2019 timeframe might be inaccurate (via Bloomberg).

iphonexretinadisplay.jpg

Jay Kwon, an analyst with JPMorgan, said that it's too early for a switch to OLED-only production for the iPhone. This is because the OLED screens would make the smartphones more expensive, removing the chance for a "low-cost" iPhone model like the LCD version believed to be coming in 2018, and Kwon argued that Apple likely needs more time to find additional OLED suppliers besides its current sole supplier in Samsung Display.
While rumors about Apple's incoming shift to an entire OLED iPhone lineup have been around for over a year, shares of suppliers reacted quickly in response to the new report from ET News. Goldman Sachs analysts Daiki Takayama and Jie Dai believed that "share prices have overreacted" to the news, because they "think it is unlikely that all 2019 iPhone models will switch to OLED screens."

Arthur Liao, an analyst with Fubon Securities, said he has not heard anything from his own supply chain sources in Taiwan regarding Apple moving to all OLED iPhone models in 2019. Most analysts repeatedly pointed towards pricing as an issue, including IHS Markit analyst Jerry Kang: "Apple hasn't been able to expand on its iPhone X production because of market demand and price issues." Kang said that while Apple's plan is to ultimately "go full OLED," the real "question mark" is determining what year the company will make that shift.

In an effort to reduce reliance on Samsung Display, Apple has reportedly invested billions of dollars to help LG get up and running with OLED technology, and LG has been rumored to be the supplier for this year's "iPhone X Plus." Besides that model, Apple is predicted to release two other iPhones in 2018: a second generation iPhone X and a low-cost, 6.1-inch option with a similar full-face display as seen on the iPhone X, but with LCD rather than an OLED display.

Article Link: Analysts Cast Doubt on Report of Apple's Transition to Full OLED iPhone Lineup in 2019
And there’s also the thing that OLED kinda sucks. Overly saturated cartoonish colors, screen burn etc.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Macrumors Comment Indicates Confused User Unsure What To Believe.

I think they will all have OLED displays. Either that, or they won’t all have OLED displays yet.

slimtastic

Suspended
May 17, 2018
Your Mother's Bedroom
At this point, it's hard to say. BUT, we can say for sure that Apple's OLED panel will be on the flagship for a few more years, until MicroLED takes over as best display.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I was hoping for a retro CRT display this time around...

To be serious I can't wait for micro-led technology.

Reactions: rishic89

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
Now a days all midrange mobiles have OLED! Apple will be forced to adopt this display in most of their premium line ups. People outside US-Europe tend to go after OLED especially if it is priced nicely

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016

iphonexretinadisplay.jpg

No rumors should have been taken seriously. So, keep calm and wait and see until September.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I wouldn’t put it past some analysts to engage in speculation to shift stock prices around.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's really all hearsay at this point. While Apple is definitely already working on the technology that will go into the iPhones they release in 2019 I doubt they have definitively determined which display panels they will use in each iPhone that will released roughly 16 months from now...

Reactions: oyabroch!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I Personally don’t believe this as of now. I think Apple will retain OLED for the 5.8/6.5 iPhone X, while the 6.1 LCD might be offered a cheaper alternative with LCD, but eliminate the home button and incorporate Face ID. I think until Apple can have a enough manufacturers on board to supply all three iPhone models, then it this Rumor seems more realistic.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Apple needs a phone at the $699-$799 price range traditionally occupied by the 4.7/5.5”. That’s the purpose of the $749-ish iPhone 9 Plus LCD model this year.

Assuming for a moment the 2018 X comes in at $899 and the X Plus at $999, it’s over optimistic to think Apple can knock $200 off those prices by next year. So in 2019 I think we have another LCD model (9S Plus?) around $700.

When Apple does go all OLED (probably 2020) and gets the price of them down to maybe $749/$849 for the 5.8/6.5” models, I think the third model gets dropped and they’ll be back to two models.

Or maybe at that point maybe Apple introduces a new, high-end iPhone at the $1,000 price point. They must have something in the pipeline for when OLED and FaceID become mainstreamed into the $749/$849 tier.

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Was hoping the X models would get mLED and the cheapo one would get inferior OLED but it’s probably too soon.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
10-bit color will happen soon, & if AAPL doesn't get there first, then they risk losing their entire market !

Very specifically, if the Asian smartphone manufacturers begin offering 10-bit color smartphones, AAPL risks their Fanboys & Fangirls NOT upgrading anytime soon, unless / until AAPL starts offering 10-bit iPhones.

I've been saying this for a very long time, & few have taken notice.

AAPL is in an extremely fragile state, because of this one factor.

I don't see iPhone owners switching to Asian smartphones, so I doubt AAPL has to worry about that, but they certainly won't upgrade anytime soon if the Asian smartphones offer 10-bit color, but next-gen iPhone X devices don't.

10-bit color capture & display is the single-biggest issue that could completely derail AAPL ... why do you think they sent so many (i.e., 350+) Engineers to a Display conference in LA this past week ??? ... they know precisely what I am describing here.

And, this isn't something you will hear from the so-called Professional Stock Analysts ... none that I know of are worth their salt ! ... I personally think they make their calls based upon reading stuff from App Annie & Sensor Tower.

BTW, Google, Snap, & GoPro (& even the lowly Essential), we're ALL well-positioned to take down the mighty AAPL, yet none had the wisdom to do so ... Samsung, with their Display tech, certainly could have as well.

All any of them had to do was offer-up a 10-bit color smartphone into the marketplace, and then sit back & watch the industry scramble ... it would NO different than what occurred when AAPL announced the A7 in the 5s ... I was working at Qualcomm at the time, and watched over the course of the next year as the entire industry worked hard to catch up ... took more than a year.

How well do you think the AAPL stock would hold up if just one major smartphone player offered-up a 10-bit smartphone, then triggering the A7-like scramble, this time INSIDE of AAPL !

It's NOT Rocket Science, yet it's been off the Radar of most when it absolutely should NOT be.

Ultimately, whoever offers the best Rec. 2100-compliant display will win the day, and specifically, targeted to Display P3 and DCI-P3, Rec. 2020 is overkill, doesn't work well with ONLY 10 bits, & is years out.

10-bit color Capture & Display is a very BIG deal, & the ONLY issue that could derail AAPL in the short-term.

So, AAPL's display decisions are paramount to their short-term success ... would love to hear LCD & OLED experts expand on this ... specifically, wrt their 10-bit color capabilities.

Also, AAPL MUST offer at least one competitive iPhone @ the $649 and below level, to have any chance of mass success later this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.