Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Is anyone excited to see google put emphasis on app coding AND designing and having a better dev environment? I don't see any discussion on this at all.

Personally, i am glad to see google do it after many years. Should solve some of the excuses developers have always been giving about not developing for android, no?

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Building for different screen sizes and languages at the same time and check if they all work and look good is awesome. I'm no app developer, but the different screen sizes often lead to sub-optimal apps.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Is anyone excited to see google put emphasis on app coding AND designing and having a better dev environment? I don't see any discussion on this at all.

Personally, i am glad to see google do it after many years. Should solve some of the excuses developers have always been giving about not developing for android, no?

The amount of google developers on this forum is very small. So the big stuff at Google I/O that actually meant a great deal will be lost on most of us here I imagine. That's why there isn't a discussion about it.

Really a sub forum in the iPhone, ipod and iPad main section - is unlikely to get in depth discussion on Android Development. I think XDA would be more suited for that in all fairness simply because that seems to be the go to destination for anyone interested in the heart and guts of Android development.

You would have to break down what Android Studio is in layman terms and the benefits it would bring to us as Android consumers ....

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
The amount of google developers on this forum is very small. So the big stuff at Google I/O that actually meant a great deal will be lost on most of us here I imagine. That's why there isn't a discussion about it.

Really a sub forum in the iPhone, ipod and iPad main section - is unlikely to get in depth discussion on Android Development. I think XDA would be more suited for that in all fairness simply because that seems to be the go to destination for anyone interested in the heart and guts of Android development.

You would have to break down what Android Studio is in layman terms and the benefits it would bring to us as Android consumers ....

From what i have seen at XDA though, app development seems to take backseat to ROM/kernel development.

I wonder if there is a dedicated forum for this somewhere on the internet.

Android studio is google's new development platform for android. Comes with a layout editor and manager that allows to better "visualize" how your app will look on multiple screen sizes and develop layouts for those sizes much easier. Like how xcode provides good layout tools for iOS devs.

Plus google says the simulator will be faster and better. If it is true, it means no longer using that slow emulator in eclipse which takes 10 minutes for just a start up.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
From what i have seen at XDA though, app development seems to take backseat to ROM/kernel development.

I wonder if there is a dedicated forum for this somewhere on the internet.

Does Google not have a forum of its own for discussion on Android development ? or is just a knowledge-base ?

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
The part of me that wishes I could code apps says.... yes. It looks awesome.

Maybe I'll learn someday.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Does Google not have a forum of its own for discussion on Android development ? or is just a knowledge-base ?

I find stack overflow to be better than google's forums, but SO can sometimes become way too technical for a newbie developer.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Android studio is google's new development platform for android. Comes with a layout editor and manager that allows to better "visualize" how your app will look on multiple screen sizes and develop layouts for those sizes much easier. Like how xcode provides good layout tools for iOS devs.

Plus google says the simulator will be faster and better. If it is true, it means no longer using that slow emulator in eclipse which takes 10 minutes for just a start up.

So essentially 'google tablets' should finally see optimised tablet experiences alongside the phone versions yes ? Would that allow developers to package an application as a 'universal' application for both Tablet & Phone or would they have to be compiled and distributed separately still ?

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
So essentially 'google tablets' should finally see optimised tablet experiences alongside the phone versions yes ? Would that allow developers to package an application as a 'universal' application for both Tablet & Phone or would they have to be compiled and distributed separately still ?

Not sure about the universal thing but i sure hope so. I do think this new tool should help better tablet apps for sure.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I find stack overflow to be better than google's forums, but SO can sometimes become way too technical for a newbie developer.

Your just being modest... look I had to ask what Android Studio was ... and I watched the Google I/O :p :)

But yeah I know I've tried dallying into iOS development and when I realised I'm a graphic designer & illustrator not a coder I gave up fairly quickly.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Your just being modest... look I had to ask what Android Studio was ... and I watched the Google I/O :p :)

But yeah I know I've tried dallying into iOS development and when I realised I'm a graphic designer & illustrator not a coder I gave up fairly quickly.

The good thing is this new "android studio" can help those designer types who can also code make the same aesthetically pleasing apps we see on iOS :)

So you get flexible and powerful apps coupled with great designs. Win win :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The good thing is this new "android studio" can help those designer types who can also code make the same aesthetically pleasing apps we see on iOS :)

So you get flexible and powerful apps coupled with great designs. Win win :)

Interesting... I'm am tempted to try it out and at least experiment when it's available. Google developer fee is only $30 or so - so not as big an investment if it all comes to nothing for me. :)

Really the only apps I'd like to develop would be ones based on things like interactive brochures for my clients. Based on design work I've already done for them. The design work is all done for most part - it's the coding where I always get lost and unstuck. I was thinking of just using Adobe Digital Editions & it's Publishing Platform to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.