Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anon.guy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
What is “other” on iphone? I cleared all the app cache by filling up the iphone, and I calculated the size of all the apps that I have PLUS THE STOCK apps and is about 2.9 gb. I have no music and the photos have the “optimize” thing and have a size of 70mb. The “system” tab takes about 6 gigs. I wonder if Apple is trying to hide the fact that ios 11 takes much more space, by the way, I don t use siri.

Attachments

• IMG_0045.PNG
    IMG_0045.PNG
    133.5 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0046.PNG
    IMG_0046.PNG
    69.8 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0048.PNG
    IMG_0048.PNG
    84.1 KB · Views: 196

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
That OTHER has been lurking for several models. I'm sure I remember it on my ip4 way back.
I'm sure someone will know what it is, and I'll be watching.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
These are corrupted sync files, system files, random trash cans (not those within the app), etc etc. .
One recent experience from me shows that a faulty iTunes sync will create “others”. The only way to reduce the size is to delete all synced music and retry syncing. Man, 41 folders. Apple Stores music in 41 folders on device.

anon.guy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
These are corrupted sync files, system files, random trash cans (not those within the app), etc etc. .
One recent experience from me shows that a faulty iTunes sync will create “others”. The only way to reduce the size is to delete all synced music and retry syncing. Man, 41 folders. Apple Stores music in 41 folders on device.
I never sync my iphone with my computer. -_-

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I never sync my iphone with my computer. -_-
Other files are system caches that cannot be cleared using the method you described as above. Those are app caches that you are clearing. Its no different than a Mac. On macOS you can easily clear app caches with a variety of programs, but it takes special software like Onyx to clear system caches. I run Onyx on my Mac once a month and it clears 3-5GB of system cache. But, when you clear system cache, the computer runs much slower until all the cache rebuilds. Same thing for iOS. Other is simply system cache that cannot be cleared. Other is also diagnostic files that can be cleared using an app called PhoneClean on your computer. Other can also be app files that do not classify as "documents and data" so iTunes counts it as other, and system in settings might do that now too.

Other has existed since iPhone OS 1, and it will always remain. It would be better if Apple described exactly what it is, but after 10 years we have been able to piece the puzzle together.

naasrd

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Whatever it is the large movie file trick always clears about 1g at a time for me; if you’re tight for space, try and rent Lord of the Rings, after a moment you’ll get a message saying you haven’t enough space, so it clears a lost of crap away.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Whatever it is the large movie file trick always clears about 1g at a time for me; if you’re tight for space, try and rent Lord of the Rings, after a moment you’ll get a message saying you haven’t enough space, so it clears a lost of crap away.
Doesn't work anymore. Instead it will stream it and charge you. There are apps in the app store what will clear out cache. But the OPs problem is system cache, not app cache. The movie trick cleared app cache, just like the app store apps do.

anon.guy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
I do use my iphone more often for videos on safari and youtube app so maybe it s that. The renting trick with a movie is in my opinion the same with the one filling up the space with big apps. Other than that, I don't use siri, my music is on icloud music library, the photos store only the thumbnails.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I do use my iphone more often for videos on safari and youtube app so maybe it s that. The renting trick with a movie is in my opinion the same with the one filling up the space with big apps. Other than that, I don't use siri, my music is on icloud music library, the photos store only the thumbnails.
Wait, it just occurred to me, you are using music in the cloud. The music app will download songs into cache and leave them there until space is needed by the system later on. This could be part of the other you are experiencing.

anon.guy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
Wait, it just occurred to me, you are using music in the cloud. The music app will download songs into cache and leave them there until space is needed by the system later on. This could be part of the other you are experiencing.
Maybe, except that since my last full restore from 2 weeks ago, I didn’t use the music app at all. I browse through but I didn’t listen to anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.