Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebheykal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2020
Hello, I have a question regarding MacBook Pro. Every time I open the linkedIn on safari, my MacBook make a noise and seems like the website using much energy. I also get the message "webpage using significant energy" error. I try to find the solution like clear the cache and everything but still my MacBook make that sound every time I use the LinkedIn. Then I saw the cleanMyMac X on Internet. Does this really work or safe to use it? Or it just a scam? Do you have any advice what anti virus to use for MacBook Pro?
Thanks and kind regards, Ebheykal

Reactions: krisoy52001

ebheykal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2020
Thanks for the info. The adguard for safari, it is for free or you have to pay? Thanks
[automerge]1598869178[/automerge]
CleanmymacX is more of a virus itself than a virus cleaner.

You'd be best off using some sort of trusted adblocker if your mac heats up on social media sites. If you use chrome, try ublock origin (not ublock!). If safari, try adguard?

Thanks for the info. The adguard for safari, it is for free or you have to pay? Thanks

t0xicgrief

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2020
[automerge]1598869178[/automerge]

Adguard for safari is completely free, adguard for mac is paid.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I also get the message "webpage using significant energy"

Does the message really say "significant energy" or is it "significant memory", such as this:

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 11.14.19 AM.png

This message is very common and (frankly) annoying. It has nothing to do with a virus or malware, it just means exactly what it says: the webpage is using a lot of memory. Using Adguard or CleanMyMac is not likely to have any effect on this (unless, perhaps, an ad is using the memory). I have my own website that uses WebGL to produce interactive 3d maps from LIDAR data. Safari always gives me this message and my site has no advertising or malware.

In the case of my site, Safari is the only browser that throws up this message. Chrome, Opera, FireFox and Edge work just fine with no annoying alerts. And I have 64gb memory in my Mac, so the idea that a webpage is using too much memory is ridiculous.

Anyway, I gave up on LinkedIn some time ago, so I don't know exactly what the issue is there. However, if you switch to one of the browsers mentioned above, I'm pretty sure it will go away without needing to install anything else.

sub150

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2018
LinkedIn uses a lot of energy without an adblocker. One of the worst sites.

ebheykal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2020
Again, are you sure it is "energy", because I have not seen that kind of alert, just the "memory" alert shown above.
Yes, I'm still getting the same message and at the same time my MacBook Pro make a noise...
But I'll try to use linkedin in different browser instead...

Reactions: Boyd01

ebheykal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2020
N7rMSdf.png

Fire it up and it immediately pops to the top of CPU usage.
I've checked the same but dont know why I get the same message all the time and my MacBook make a noise.
Any advice how to resolve it or prevent that noise? Thanks

Attachments

• rsz_screenshot_2020-09-01_at_083224.png
    rsz_screenshot_2020-09-01_at_083224.png
    154.3 KB · Views: 320

sub150

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2018
I've checked the same but dont know why I get the same message all the time and my MacBook make a noise.
Any advice how to resolve it or prevent that noise? Thanks

Are you using an adblocker? Other than that, use it only your phone/ipad.

One thing for sure is that CleanMyMacX won't help at all.

jwpastor1963

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
Hello, I have a question regarding MacBook Pro. Every time I open the linkedIn on safari, my MacBook make a noise and seems like the website using much energy. I also get the message "webpage using significant energy" error. I try to find the solution like clear the cache and everything but still my MacBook make that sound every time I use the LinkedIn. Then I saw the cleanMyMac X on Internet. Does this really work or safe to use it? Or it just a scam? Do you have any advice what anti virus to use for MacBook Pro?
(Apple user since 2006, working at IT level for the last five years) This question needs some parsing. Does CleanMyMac X work, is it safe, or is it a scam? Answer: Yes it works, and is the best third-party maintenance app out there. (Sorry Apple, Mac's need maintenance too.) Yes, it's safe and no it's not a scam. However, it will not help the problem you describe. Boyd01 gave the best, most informed, and accurate answer.

Reactions: haddy and Boyd01

krisoy52001

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2020
London
I’ve used CleanMyMac for a good few years and it’s perfect

• Haha
Reactions: ruka.snow and haddy

krisoy52001

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2020
London
CleanmymacX is more of a virus itself than a virus cleaner.

You'd be best off using some sort of trusted adblocker if your mac heats up on social media sites. If you use chrome, try ublock origin (not ublock!). If safari, try adguard?
CleanMyMac is not a virus. You more likely get a virus from some kind of adblocker

• Haha
Reactions: ruka.snow

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
CleanMyMac is not a virus. You more likely get a virus from some kind of adblocker
At best, CleanMyMac is snake oil you do not need.

Macs do not "fill up with junk" and have no "registry" that needs to be maintained like a Windows system. If you need to free up space on your drive something like DaisyDisk will help you decide what to get rid of, is by a reputable author, and costs a third of the price of CMM's yearly subscription for a lifetime licence.

$30/yr or $90/life for some software which helps you find large files and a (poor) ad blocker? And, let's go back for a moment - you say an adblocker is more likely to "give you a virus" than CleanMyMac... which itself contains an adblocker? Which is it?

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
(Apple user since 2006, working at IT level for the last five years) This question needs some parsing. Does CleanMyMac X work, is it safe, or is it a scam? Answer: Yes it works, and is the best third-party maintenance app out there. (Sorry Apple, Mac's need maintenance too.) Yes, it's safe and no it's not a scam. However, it will not help the problem you describe. Boyd01 gave the best, most informed, and accurate answer.
> best third-party maintenance app out there

What sort of scenario would you find yourself in that a Mac system needs "maintenance" that cannot be solved with the tools MacOS comes with, or is available for free with something like Onyx?

LargeSizedMan2020

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2020
I would advise everyone to stay away from CleanMyMax X, it's pretty terrible and poorly developed software. It was especially annoying when it kept asking me if I wanted to force quit whatever piece of software that was taking ever so slightly longer than usual to load. It's completely useless and not worth any investment at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.