Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
I dont use it so it just takes up space.

----------

I figured out a way. ^.^ never mind.

atMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
sudo chmod 600 /System/Library/CoreServices/NotificationCenter.app/Contents/MacOS/NotificationCenter

Then reboot.

Though running a permissions fix reverts it back.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Here's a way to bypass the need to reboot:

killall Notificationcenter
killall Dock

Apple Script to disable Notification Center:
Code:
tell application "Terminal"
do script "sudo chmod 600 /System/Library/CoreServices/NotificationCenter.app/Contents/MacOS/NotificationCenter;killall NotificationCenter; killall Dock"
end tell

Apple Script to restore Notification Center:
Code:
tell application "Terminal"
do script "sudo chmod 777 /System/Library/CoreServices/NotificationCenter.app/Contents/MacOS/NotificationCenter; killall Dock"
end tell

EDIT:

I've made a precompiled version of the Apple Script. You might have to enter your root password to allow the "sudo" command to take. Download below:

http://cl.ly/FG6C

Last edited:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I dont use it so it just takes up space.

----------

I figured out a way. ^.^ never mind.
File a bug report with Apple saying there should be a way to disable or hide the notification icon for people who are not using it.

Your workaround is not the best method as repair permissions kills your workaround.

SenseiSimple

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2012
My first post here!

To permanently remove the notification center,
In terminal
Code:
sudo launchctl remove com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent
launchctl remove com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent

This will prevent it from launching in the first place - since setting the permission to make it unavailable pollutes the syslog as the launchd process attempts to load the notification center continuously. One of these may say "No such process." this is normal. First the notification center agent may run as a system daemon, or it may run as a user service.

To get it back
Code:
launchctl submit -l com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent -p /System/Library/CoreServices/NotificationCenter.app/Contents/MacOS/NotificationCenter

no fuss no muss, no permissions to reset.

Last edited:

atMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
To permanently remove the notification center,
In terminal
Code:
sudo launchctl remove com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent

This will prevent it from launching in the first place - since setting the permission to make it unavailable pollutes the syslog as the launchd process attempts to load the notification center continuously.

To get it back
Code:
sudo launchctl submit -l com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent -p /System/Library/CoreServices/NotificationCenter.app/Contents/MacOS/NotificationCenter

no fuss no muss, no permissions to reset.

I get told there is no suck process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.