Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Same
Apple Card was prestored and used for other purchases
The app said problem with number and to re enter
cvv and date were Pre populated.
‘I entered the number again the wheels spun and it kicked out with problem with card use another.
Reentered it even tried it with physical number , no good, use another card.
The app finally dumped me saying citizen has an issue and I would get mail why.
Entered app again and used Amex, went right through.

Update, never got any email from Citizen about the issue

Last edited:

antnard1

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Same exact experience here, even with the "There's an error with your application" Citizens One error. I entered another card and it worked fine. I'm miffed because we had to pay the extra payment for the 12's, and I missed out on the applecard 3% for all of these initial payments. x2 phones... lame!

bcraig3

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
Same issue here. Had to keep re-entering Apple Card info until finally I received an error message telling me there was a problem with the approval of the financing offer. Tried again using my Discover Card and the order went right through. Unfortunately, delivery had slipped into October by then, but I could still pick up instore on release day.

Reactions: dohspc

KingBowser64

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Chicago, IL
Me too. I did just buy my first house literally a month ago, but I have been a part of the iPhone Upgrade Program for years. Had to use a different card after getting an error with my Apple Card a few times because the last time it said I did not “qualify for a Citizen’s One Loan.” Went through after I used an entirely different card. Took 5 minutes to order, rather than the 1-2 minutes that I am used to.

Reactions: Clocksetbyfeel

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Same exact experience here, even with the "There's an error with your application" Citizens One error. I entered another card and it worked fine. I'm miffed because we had to pay the extra payment for the 12's, and I missed out on the applecard 3% for all of these initial payments. x2 phones... lame!
I had same issue. You should be able to go onto the Citizen site and change your payment method (although I cant access my new loan on the Citizen website at the moment).

Reactions: dohspc

drill423

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
Houston
Same thing with me…had two phones for preorder and attempted mine first. Errors galore with the Apple Card. Eventually I got an error from citizen one. The second order went through as I ended up changing the number and will arrive next week. My phone fell into the early October window now.

damorris

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
Same here. This is a massively epic fail. I'm on the iPhone, with the Apple Store App, using the Apple Card and I can't place an order? If I change the card I'm using to pay then you lose the 3% cash back. The only reason I ever got the Apple Card in the first place was for Apple purchases. Does anyone from Apple actually test anything anymore before they roll it out?

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
I too experienced issues with using my Apple Card for the initial iUP payment and sales tax. Tried 3 times til I just said screw it and used an Amex. Sadly no 3% then for this first charge but after the loan is set up on their website, I'll change the auto payment info to my Apple Card to get the subsequent 3%.

No idea how Apple screwed the pooch on this one.

Reactions: KurtWilde

antnard1

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
I had same issue. You should be able to go onto the Citizen site and change your payment method (although I cant access my new loan on the Citizen website at the moment).
Thanks, I was hoping that'd be possible. IIRC from previous years you get an email from citizens with your new loan info but maybe not immediately? Hopefully I can catch it before the payment hits the non-applecard I had to use.

Blackforge

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
Card error where I had to use a different card, but that even didn’t work the first time. Then even though I went through the Citizens One pre-approval and had a phone call with them the other day with a confirmation of “your loan should be approved on your order”. Guess what, still kicked…. Now waiting on Citizens One again.

Edit: Have an order number, but same message about Citizens One that it’s not approved yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: dolphin2421

gbf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2019
I had problems with my AMEX card and switched to Visa with no problems. They really by now should have this down to a science.

antnard1

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
It would be really nice if Apple was able to see the customers who attempted to use their apple cards and were declined to an error on their side or Goldman Sachs, and issue them an Apple Cashback refund of that 3% as a customer service gesture. I'm trying not to get too pissed about the 3%, but it sounds like a widespread issue, so at scale there is a whole lot of applecard cashback not happening because of this!

dmontopoli

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2016
The same thing happened to me. Multiple attempts, first with Apple Card, then with another card. While I still trying to place an order, I got an email from Apple telling me that it was processing my order.

So I would suggest checking your email.

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
So im glad its not just me having Apple Card issues then, I put in my info like 4 times thinking I was screwing up somewhere. Come on Apple! This is your own dang credit card!

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
2 IUP phones ordered by 5:03 and that was 30 seconds after the store app started working.

Despite being a massive Apple FanBoy, I never gave 2 ?s about the Apple Card.

I’ll stick with earning millions of airline and hotel points with my different AMEX cards that work to actually order a phone.

antnard1

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
2 IUP phones ordered by 5:03 and that was 30 seconds after the store app started working.

Despite being a massive Apple FanBoy, I never gave 2 ?s about the Apple Card.

I’ll stick with earning millions of airline and hotel points with my different AMEX cards that work to actually order a phone.
I've always been lukewarm on it, I do buy a lot of apple stuff and use applepay way more often than not, so the cashback is decent. I don't love the little conversation that happens whenever I do use the ridiculous (but nice) titanium card. This experience turns me off to all of it though

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I've always been lukewarm on it, I do buy a lot of apple stuff and use applepay way more often than not, so the cashback is decent. I don't love the little conversation that happens whenever I do use the ridiculous (but nice) titanium card. This experience turns me off to all of it though
3 of my AMEX cards are metal. With all the touchless pay options these days, no one really notices which is just fine with me.

Slowpc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2013
Winston Salem NC
Two phones on iup and mine with Apple Card for monthly payment. Order placed at 8:02/8:03 with email at 8:04. Smooth this time. Was even on mobile surprisingly.
Rough seeing all the issues again this year with others.

Reactions: laffnvegas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.