Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
The lineup was very compact - two to three storage options and comes in two colours. That’s it. Along with the skeumorphic design of iOS, the entire experience, for me, was enjoyable. iOS was limited but it performs at its best at what it’s designed to do. I’ve never clamoured for a software fix when iOS 6 dropped in 2012.

These days we have an ‘iPhone for everyone’ approach. It made Apple a lot of money and in my opinion, this would be Cook’s legacy - making Apple products mainstream. In contrast to Jobs’ approach of making the best products for those who are loyal to Apple and believe in their process.

However, such mass appeal comes with a price. People are hesitant to upgrade to new OSes, Apple releases some new features but also introduces tens of bugs which may take days to months to fix, a bloated product lineup that lacks focus - the blatant removal of previous Pro iPhones to ensure it doesn’t undercut the latest Pro models but they’re happy to keep last year’s or the year before’s base iPhones. The product lineup may generate a lot of revenue but from an Apple sheep, it seems very ‘out of focus’. I’m not saying we should move backwards. But I long for the day where iOS fixes all the bugs for inconsistencies from previous years and perhaps introduce a much condense product lineup that benefits the users such as - not having a 14 Plus and a 15 Plus available side by side in their official stores.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Nah, it’s the nature of a mature product. It’s romantic to believe Jobs would have kept it simple, but that’s not how it was.

Under Steve Jobs, there were 4 concurrent iPods, each with 2 different capacities and 6-9 different colors. Once a product matures, you simply have to offer more options to keep consumers interested.

Why do you think Apple is so keen on pushing Vision as the next big thing?

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
Nah, it’s the nature of a mature product. It’s romantic to believe Jobs would have kept it simple, but that’s not how it was.

Under Steve Jobs, there were 4 concurrent iPods, each with 2 different capacities and 6-9 different colors. Once a product matures, you simply have to offer more options to keep consumers interested.

Why do you think Apple is so keen on pushing Vision as the next big thing?

Well I suppose the iPod lineup was Classic, Touch, Mini and Shuffle. It’s very different from having iPhones 13, 14 and 15 all at the same time. The iPod lineup makes sense - options for different groups of people. The iPhone lineup caters options just because.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Well I suppose the iPod lineup was Classic, Touch, Mini and Shuffle. It’s very different from having iPhones 13, 14 and 15 all at the same time. The iPod lineup makes sense - options for different groups of people. The iPhone lineup caters options just because.

The iPhone is, as Steve Jobs puts it, three devices in one. That means more customers. The iPod lineup had far more overlap than iPhone does. Apple is effectively selling iPhone 15 series + SE, or five models only. The 14 and 13 are for people who really need to save a couple hundred bucks.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
The iPhone is, as Steve Jobs puts it, three devices in one. The iPod lineup had far more overlap than iPhone does. Apple is effectively selling iPhone 15 series + SE, or five models only. The 14 and 13 are for people who really need to save a couple hundred bucks.

Sure, I agree what the roles of the 13 and 14 are but say Apple doesn’t sell these two products, would these group of people turn away from Apple altogether or they’ll just buy the 15 instead? I think the choice to have the 13 and 14; actually just the 14, is heavily motivated by profit through capturing as much people as they can in those pricing groups.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Sure, I agree what the roles of the 13 and 14 are but say Apple doesn’t sell these two products, would these group of people turn away from Apple altogether or they’ll just buy the 15 instead? I think the choice to have the 13 and 14; actually just the 14, is heavily motivated by profit through capturing as much people as they can in those pricing groups.

I agree the motivation is money, but at the same time, an iPhone 15 starts at $799. The alternative is the relic SE at $429. There ought to be models in between to fill the gap - for grandmothers and teens who don’t need the latest.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
Here’s my ideal lineup:

15/15 Pro series

13 (as an entry model iPhone)

13 mini (for the small ‘flagship’ enthusiast) - I’m indifferent about this as the sales numbers aren’t good and makes little sense for Apple to actively manufacture this. This is for the fanboys of the mini flagship models.

SE 2022 (for people who prefers Touch ID and for groups of people who do not want a gesture-base UI and prefers familiarity coming from obsolete iPhones like 8 and prior)

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
We have seen companies moving from a niche market to mainstream products, for money, and finally losing their original status, like Hewlett-Packard or Leica. But survival-wise, it was inevitable. Apple is living its post-transitional phase. We’ll see.

That’s true. Tho Apple has its hands in various categories of products, I think they’ll be okay. The clean, refined and simplistic elements of yesteryear’s Apple is long gone.

Hicksmat1976

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester, England
I do agree with the OP.

take the iPhone lineup, its confusing, its confusing with all the models/colours of the iPhone 15 AND THEN you add the fact you can still buy a number of iPhone 14 & 13 models, and then the SE.

Same sort of issue with the iPad, too many options/models/colours.

they are in fact competing with themselves - it would make sense from a business point of view to have a high end phone/iPad and then an iPhone/iPad meant for the masses. I would love to know the actual sales figures for the myriad of models and colours that are available to buy through the Apple Store. Some most hardly sell, so what's the point?

In Steve's time there was just an iPhone, just an iPad, it was far simpler, the theory being that both models were neither high end nor for the masses, they were just the models apple chose to release, take it or leave it.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I always felt that it was inevitable that iOS had to very quicky gain additional features to put it on par with android. You could still get away with it in the early days of the iPhone when the concept of a smartphone was so new, android was still pretty buggy, and users were willing to put up with a more limited OS in exchange for ease of use and stability.

For example, it seems hard to believe that users had to wait until iOS 8 in order to get share sheet extensions, and I could finally send a photo to WhatsApp from the gallery app, without needing to first open whatsapp.

The tradeoff for this is naturally more bugs, which I still find tolerable, in exchange for what i have gotten over the years.

As for size, I am also willing to bet that if Apple has stuck with just one model a year, you all would be here complaining about its limited lineup, and how Apple should release more form factors.

Apple just can’t win, so I am fine with the company opting to do what is best for its bottom line, by serving as wide a demographic as possible.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Only thing I miss are the keynotes.
I don’t like the overly polished pop style keynotes they produce nowadays which are supposed to appeal to younger folks. With Jobs, granted the Apple esthetics were more skeuomorphic, the presentations felt more life like and rough, relatable on a personal level, not made for young folks to make them feel like they’re part of, whatever.
Apart from that no I don’t miss much.
People complain about how Apple is (still) stubborn in some aspects but then glorify old Apple and Jobs. There are many things Jobs probably wouldn’t have liked like the Shortcuts app or, like you said, choices in screen and storage size and perhaps colors.
Things that the market obviously appreciates. So I don’t see a benefit going back to a time that we should all be happy have long passed. Good at the times, but not feasible today.

Hicksmat1976

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester, England
Only thing I miss are the keynotes.
I don’t like the overly polished pop style keynotes they produce nowadays which are supposed to appeal to younger folks. With Jobs, granted the Apple esthetics were more skeuomorphic, the presentations felt more life like and rough, relatable on a personal level, not made for young folks to make them feel like they’re part of, whatever.
Apart from that no I don’t miss much.
People complain about how Apple is (still) stubborn in some aspects but then glorify old Apple and Jobs. There are many things Jobs probably wouldn’t have liked like the Shortcuts app or, like you said, choices in screen and storage size and perhaps colors.
Things that the market obviously appreciates. So I don’t see a benefit going back to a time that we should all be happy have long passed. Good at the times, but not feasible today.
The over produced Apple events these days are there for I think 2 reasons, 1) Tim isn't a confident guy, and 2) he wants to show his products working (and with all the bugs these days, there's probably a high degree of chance a bug would appear during a demo). I do miss the spectacle of the Jobs live keynotes.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
I do agree with the OP.

take the iPhone lineup, its confusing, its confusing with all the models/colours of the iPhone 15 AND THEN you add the fact you can still buy a number of iPhone 14 & 13 models, and then the SE.

Same sort of issue with the iPad, too many options/models/colours.

they are in fact competing with themselves - it would make sense from a business point of view to have a high end phone/iPad and then an iPhone/iPad meant for the masses. I would love to know the actual sales figures for the myriad of models and colours that are available to buy through the Apple Store. Some most hardly sell, so what's the point?

In Steve's time there was just an iPhone, just an iPad, it was far simpler, the theory being that both models were neither high end nor for the masses, they were just the models apple chose to release, take it or leave it.
Yeah so many colors how confusing.
You seem to forget that people want to have choices, want to feel like they are getting what suits them not the company they get it from. One phone doesn’t cut it anymore, and one iPad even less, where you have pros, „pros“, average joes and business and education markets.
The iPhone lineup is very simple at the time.
Want a new iPhone or want a „pro“ phone with more features? Pick your preferred screen size. Pick your preferred storage. Pick your color. Done. Way better then Pick white or black, 8 or 16 GB. Done. The market agrees with apple, going against the collective understanding of what apple should offer seem really ridiculous to me, obviously it’s good for everyone but the people that really don’t want it to be.

Reactions: LalaN

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
In many ways, the iPhone 4 was Peak iPhone, and Peak Apple.

Sure, newer devices are more technically excellent - with faster processors, larger, brighter screens, multi-lens cameras complete with LiDAR that take cleaner shots in more conditions. But none of them have the “wow factor” that the iPhone 4 had. It had flaws (glass back, antennagate, etc), and it was expensive, but it was beautiful. A true work of art that blew away anybody’s expectations of what a smartphone could be.

And yeah, no iPhone since has been able to do that again. I’d go so far as to say no Apple product has even come close.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
The over produced Apple events these days are there for I think 2 reasons, 1) Tim isn't a confident guy, and 2) he wants to show his products working (and with all the bugs these days, there's probably a high degree of chance a bug would appear during a demo). I do miss the spectacle of the Jobs live keynotes.
Nah I think it’s honestly about being part of pop culture and attracting young impressionable consumers.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Sure, newer devices are more technically excellent - with faster processors, larger, brighter screens, multi-lens cameras complete with LiDAR that take cleaner shots in more conditions. But none of them have the “wow factor” that the iPhone 4 had. It had flaws (glass back, antennagate, etc), and it was expensive, but it was beautiful. A true work of art that blew away anybody’s expectations of what a smartphone could be.

And yeah, no iPhone since has been able to do that again. I’d go so far as to say no Apple product has even come close.
As you roll on about the iPhone 4, let me be one of those to tell you I hated that phone.

I was on Sprint when they were finally allowed by Apple to sell the 4s. I had an upgrade that year and I skipped it on purpose because I hate the design of that phone. And I still hate it.

I waited until the iPhone 5. Metal not glass (except for the screen) and without that stupid looking band around the middle. I feel the same way about the iPhone 5 that you apparently do about the iPhone 4.

All of this is my opinion and in no way am I trashing your opinion or saying it's invalid. I just happen to not like that phone.

And for the record, I own an iPhone 4 and 4s. The 4 was bought as my son's first iPhone. Cost me $25. The second was a Reddit seller who wanted to get rid of his 4s. I gave him $20. Collectively they came under what I was willing to pay for them.

Both are great phones - I just hate the design.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022

Holding it wrong iPhone 4 was not peak. Far from it. It’s hilarious to consider iPhone 4 as peak Apple considering AW, AirPods Pro, and Apple silicon. I miss Jobs and do feel nostalgic but Apple isn’t staying still,

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
options for different groups of people.
well, you explained it yourself.

I opted for an iPhone 14 Pro. Precisely because there were options. With a 15 pro, I would have bought things I didn’t want for more money.
With a 13 I would have less than I wanted.

I could maybe agree if we were talking about the different numbers of cores you could pick for Apple Silicon, but I don’t see an issue with the phones.

What I do miss, like others have said, is the live keynotes. To the point where I sometimes rewatch old ones.

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2022
As for size, I am also willing to bet that if Apple has stuck with just one model a year, you all would be here complaining about its limited lineup, and how Apple should release more form factors.

Apple just can’t win, so I am fine with the company opting to do what is best for its bottom line, by serving as wide a demographic as possible.
Amen!

Reactions: EdibleArraignments

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2022
What I do miss, like others have said, is the live keynotes. To the point where I sometimes rewatch old ones.
I agree! There’s nothing like watching a live presentation, still scripted but able to feed off the energy of the audience. It gives a much better sense of how prepared the presenter is, with no retakes and no room for errors, and then record the audience’s very first impressions.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
well, you explained it yourself.

I opted for an iPhone 14 Pro. Precisely because there were options. With a 15 pro, I would have bought things I didn’t want for more money.
With a 13 I would have less than I wanted.

I could maybe agree if we were talking about the different numbers of cores you could pick for Apple Silicon, but I don’t see an issue with the phones.

Well I assume you got the 14 Pro refurbished from Apple or from non-Apple stores. Which is all good. Things were similar back in the day too. You can get older gen iPhones from Telco stores and what have you.

But I’m solely talking about Apple’s retail store. They should trim the fat in their iPhone lineup. 15 series, the 13 as a bare-bones entry model and the SE for the people who still wants Touch ID or those who are happy not to learn how to use the gesture based UI of current smartphones. That’s it. No one is gonna throw a fit for not being able to buy a 14/14 Plus.

‘You want a basic iPhone that feels modern? Get the 13.’

‘You want a large screen that doesn’t break the bank? Get the 15 Plus! Sorry, you said you want the 14 Plus? No you don’t. Cough up another $100 and you will, and get the 15 Plus because that’s what you actually want.’

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.