Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Has anyone seen a realtime Hurricane tracking program for the iphone? Since I live in Louisiana and will be hit by a Hurricane by a Cat 4 storm at that it would be nice to have such a program NOW.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I don't think it exists yet. However if you go to accuweather.com, or even just weather.com on Safari, you will get an iPhone-formatted page. Accuweather has storm tracking and projected path info right up front. I have friends down in La who are evacuating today and I directed them to that site. Works well for them.

At the end of the day, quite a few apps for the iPhone that pull web data tend to be just shortcuts to stuff you could navigate to from Safari.

Anyway, I hope things go well. Gas up and stay safe.

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Has anyone seen a realtime Hurricane tracking program for the iphone? Since I live in Louisiana and will be hit by a Hurricane by a Cat 4 storm at that it would be nice to have such a program NOW.

There is a weather alert app that would be well worth the $0.99 given your circumstances.

However, I don't think you are going to get exactly what you want as I assume you want something to push alerts or information to your phone. At this time I don't think there are any weather apps that have that functionality.

Good luck and stay safe.

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Thanks folks, keep us in your prayers. The storm is already a Cat 4.

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Thanks folks, keep us in your prayers. The storm is already a Cat 4.

I would get whilst the gettin was good. Makes me glad I live in the Rocky Mtn. region. Sure we get snow, but snow melts. No hurricanes or tornadoes to worry about.

Keep yourself safe and as I said, if you should and can evacuate, do so sooner rather than later.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
Anyone tried MyWeathermobile?

Not to hijack your thread, but I have been looking at MyWeathermobile. However, for $15, I want to know more details. Reviews are good, but I get so tired weeding through posts of people reviewing and saying, "great app, not worth the money" when they haven't even tried it.

The radar in WeatherBug is temperamental, and the Weather Alerts are just simple, general regional warnings.

I can understand the OP's request for something more sophisticated.

When I'm home, I can get weather on the internet, no problem. I want a truly MOBILE, full-featured weather app for on the road or in power-outage situations.

I want a weather app optimized for when I'm on the road, in an Edge area.

If I'm driving into something, I want to know what way the storm is going.

I would like looping radar.
Storm track.
Fast loading pages, even on Edge.
Ability to zoom in down to street level.

If MyWeathermobile works, $15 is reasonable. I just don't want to pay $15 only to find that I have to be on 3G to get it to load. I was kind of waiting to see if looping/zooming radar became available for less $$$.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

As for Gustav, I have relatives in Metarie (New Orleans), Baton Rouge, Grammercy, and Lake Charles, LA. I'm praying for all of you on the Gulf Coast. Keep your head down.

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
Wunderground is very nice.

http://i.wund.com/tropical/

Does a direct link to storms. Needs to be in landscape mode.

For App Store ones, FizzWeather is my favorite. Had maps, radar and very customizable. Also shows all weather alerts in your area.

I'm a journalist and had access to the top-of-line weather tracking software/sites while Fay was hanging around and Fizz was pretty dang close most of the time.

Good luck. Stay dry.

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
Weather Radio > iPhone for reliable life threating weather emergency's.
I'd rather have a NOAA approved weather Radio alerting me/family to weather issues rather then my iPhone. While I dearly love my iPhone, there is NO piece of mind like knowing i will get instant alerts from the Weather office 5 miles away.
Yeah its not as cool looking as an iPhone but the battery will last more then 16 hours :p

figment

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008
Hi, I'm the developer of WeatherAlert (go ahead, flame on ;) ). I'm in the process of updating the app so that it uses NOAA information. In addition, I'll be adding pseudo-push alerts if the user elects to sign up. My server will be polling for alerts and will send you an email or text message (again, if you elect to get that) on alerts. Of course once the push service is available from Apple that will be utilized. I do hope to make it a nice, simple app for purposes of just getting instant alerts. The idea came from my wife's fear of tornadoes.

Unfortunately, there won't be something like hurricane or storm tracking, just notice of the alerts.

Sorry for hijacking, I noticed it mentioned so I thought I'd throw that out there.

txr0ckabilly

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Southwest Louisiana
i'm in southwest louisiana. i've been using the http://www.i.wund.com as someone else suggested. it's optimized for the iphone and works pretty well. no animated radar views that i can find but the tracking is working just fine.

so OP are you staying to ride it out or you headin' out?

me and the family are just going to go around the corner to our shop and stay there. it took no damage from Rita and will weather this beast just fine! the building rated for 210mph winds. click on the generator and pull out the guns for the looters!

weeeeee!

weatherangel

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
Orlando, FL
I know it's a little late for this post, but there are now two apps in the iTunes App Store which qualify. Hurricane by Kitty Code, LLC and Hurricanes by someone else.

I am one of the developers of Hurricane by Kitty Code, LLC. We are working on updates to the app, which was published on Sept 16th (Unfortunately after Ike was long gone). The nice thing about this app is that it pulls the data and stores it on your phone, and the data pull is extremely quick on both Edge and 3G. We are also waiting for the push to come from apple so we can push updates to the phones as they happen, especially while storms are in the 2 hour update period.

Anyway, feel free to take a look.

Hi, I'm the developer of WeatherAlert (go ahead, flame on ;) ). ... Unfortunately, there won't be something like hurricane or storm tracking, just notice of the alerts.

Sorry for hijacking, I noticed it mentioned so I thought I'd throw that out there.

geekmommy4

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Texas
The day FLASH becomes available for iPhone, I will be bookmarking this site on my iPhone - http://hosted.ap.org/specials/interactives/hurricanetracker07/trackerindex.html?SITE=YAHOO

That looks nice!

In the meantime, wunderground (i.wund.com) has some really good hurricane coverage well configured for the iPhone. They have lots of maps (although they aren't animated), etc. It's better to mess with when there is more tropical activity, however. The link on their page (Tropical/Hurricane) is right below the Search box.

I use the site all of the time because it's well designed for the iPhone that loads quickly and they also have a nice animated radar for day-to-day (non-hurracane part of the site).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.