Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
I was thinking, can i back up my ibook to a pc. is this possible?? i havent touched the pc since i got my ibook, and thought "hey maybe i can use its 120gb of free space for something..." :confused:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I suppose you could just copy your Home folder across. There are apps out there but I haven't used any and so I can't find them let alone endorse them. :)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
If you're going to drag your files over, keep in mind that the file names cannot contain and of the following:

: \ / | * ? " > or <

I think that's all of them.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Assuming you have the two attached to the same Ethernet network...
Enable sharing on the PC, and then Command-K from the Mac. In a few moments you should see the PC's name come up as a server, choose it and log into it using your Username and Password on the PC (not the one you use on OSX). Then you have read and write access to your drive.

If you ahve a firewall on the PC, you may have to enable file sharing to happen.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
I'd use file sharing and then tar if I were you.

First, I recommend you empty your trash and clean out your internet cache before you do a backup.

Then mount the Windows share.

Then tar the file to the windows share. Just pop open a terminal Applications->Utilities->Terminal). I would change to root just in case, but you can probably do it as yourself (ie without the sudo in the line below):

sudo tar cvf /Volume/Share;Name /Users/MyName

And then it ought to ask you for a password. Tarring the directory will avoid problems with filenames not copying correctly.

This is off the top of my head, but I think it should work.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Excapt that will slaughter any resource forks you have. Perhaps rsync would be a better choice there? Or use gnutar, which I think has a flag for preserving resource forks. Assuming you have files that rely on them..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.