Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pring

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
Finally!

You can only review applications which you've actually bought! No more 1 star reviews by people who've not bought your app!

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
Finally!

You can only review applications which you've actually bought! No more 1 star reviews by people who've not bought your app!

Its nice for the developer, but its even nicer for the buyers, I don't want to know what someone thinks of an app when they have never tried it, thats irrelevant, and usually its just a whinge about the price. If someone has paid for it and doesn't like it I want to know, that will help me make an informed choice. I don't need some spoilt kid who's run out of iTunes Store credit to tell me the app 'should be free' just because they can't afford it.

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

wow. It's about time.

moopf

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
United Kingdom
This is a really welcome move. Shame they aren't purging old reviews made by people who didn't buy an app, however. That would be another step in the right direction.

Pring

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
I'd also like to see the star rating normalized for how helpful a review is. eg if someone gave a 0 star review but has "0 out of 5 people find this review helpful" then it wouldn't contribute to the star rating.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
This is a surprising move from Apple. I've noticed over the past few years that Apple is much more responsive to their customer needs/wants, and they are faster in implementation. App Store is out only 2 months and a few days, and BOOM a great change like this one. Good job Apple, I commend you.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Thank you very much Apple!

I hate when I'm considering a download and people that haven't even downloaded (let alone read the description) think it's bad!

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
This is a surprising move from Apple. I've noticed over the past few years that Apple is much more responsive to their customer needs/wants, and they are faster in implementation. App Store is out only 2 months and a few days, and BOOM a great change like this one. Good job Apple, I commend you.

Haha, ya like when they gave $100 credit to all those agree early iPhone buyers (me included, just not angry :p).

Anyway, this is great!

20080927-a2qqkg475cm8wrq9h3ewrgy1q.jpg

macmacey

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
Texas
I couldn't believe it until I saw the pop up for myself. Great job Apple! Now, please also remove past reviews posted by people who did not purchase the application. If you don't want to remove, then at least mark them with an "*" and recalculate the 5-star rating based only on people who purchased the app. This should also reduce the number of fake 5-star reviews from the few developers who engage in this practice.

One more request. Please provide the date of the review, the app version the person purchased, and the price they originally paid. Give me the option to only see reviews (and a 5-star rating) from people who actually paid $ for the app. If you don't want to reset the download counter for the free-to-paid apps, at least let me quickly find out how many reviewers paid for the app.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Finally!! Though I agree Apple needs to find a way to get rid of older reviews from people who didn't buy the apps. It's only fair.

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
Glad to see them finally get this done.
I agree that they should erase all the reviews and start new and if you purchased it you can review it again.

ayasin

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Fantastic news. I agree also that old reviews with 1 star "lol all appz shud b free" should be purged.

ayasin

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
I agree that they should erase all the reviews and start new and if you purchased it you can review it again.

I don't think they should purge old reviews, just the ones where people didn't buy the app. It's not fair to people who spent quite a bit of time writing detailed reviews (whether positive or negative) to be thrown out with the bath water.

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
Very true but wouldn't that take more effort on Apples part? Took them long enough to do something that should have been done from the beginning. But your idea would be the best.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
This is great news. Now I think the only thing they could do to make the review system better is to indicate which version of the app a particular review is for, so that a buyer can see whether a particular review is still completely accurate/relevant.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Agreed. Good news :)
I think we'll see a lot less trashy reviews written by angry penniless kids now.

Delirium39

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
Fantastic news! As a developer, this makes me very happy. Although I doubt they will purge any of the old reviews, as that would be an entirely different, and more difficult, task.

smfinlay

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2008
Central Florida
I hate to harp on what everyone has already said. But this is really great news for the App Store. Too bad nothing can be done for previous bogus reviews but we should start to see things clear up in the near future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.