Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Applelogo1.png
During today's second quarter earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed that Apple has purchased a total of 24 companies over the last 18 months, some that are known and some that remain unknown.

Just over half of Apple's acquisitions have come to light, which means the company has purchased a number of additional companies that have not been disclosed. So far in 2014, Apple acquired SnappyLabs, a company that produced a burst-mode photo app, and Burstly, the company behind the Testflight iOS beta testing platform.

2013 saw Apple acquire several different mapping apps, including BroadMap, Embark, HopStop, Locationary, and WiFiSlam, along with other notable additions like 3D company PrimeSense and Novauris, a speech recognition company. Back in October, Tim Cook noted Apple had completed 15 strategic acquisitions in 2013, pointing towards a number of new acquisitions already in 2014.

The technology from Apple's acquisitions will likely make its way into future products and updates. For example, all of the mapping acquisitions are expected to be put to use in iOS 8, which will see the addition of transit directions and possibly improved indoor mapping techniques.

During the call, Apple CEO Tim Cook noted that investing in research and development along with hardware, software, and services were top priorities, and that the company was "on the prowl" for new companies to acquire.

Article Link: Apple Acquired 24 Companies Over Last 18 Months, 'We're On The Prowl' for More

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
If I recall right it's only required of them (and other companies) by law to report specific acquisition details if they break a certain purchase price, right?

Kleber20

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2013
ok Apple, Now buy a company that will make the pictures big on iOS 7.1 when somebody will call me!!! instead of that tiny little circle! :mad:

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
well they surely are innovating their stock value

oh wait

splits then increasing scarcity is stock price manipulation 101

makes me wonder how close Ichan and Cook really are... :mad:

innovation my a$$

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Can't wait for transit info to come to Apple Maps in iOS 8. Google Maps has been acting VERY weird for me in the past couple weeks...

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Scratchy Productions on Youtube.

I have a small animation start-up company that Apple can purchase for a mere 3.5 million. That's pennies to them. All they have to do is give me a call and we'll make it happen!!

:D :D :D :D

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Your ignorance offends me.

Situation: Apple not buying companies. Reaction: Why don't you spend some of your cash?

Situation: Apple acquires companies. Reaction: You're just manipulating your stock price.

Translation: The latest fad is criticizing Apple. It makes small people feel big.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Situation: Apple not buying companies. Reaction: Why don't you spend some of your cash?

Situation: Apple acquires companies. Reaction: You're just manipulating your stock price.

Translation: The latest fad is criticizing Apple. It makes small people feel big.
Well put. This has become the premier site to take a dig at apple, it boggles my mind.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
It's the premier site to dig Apple because trolls always want a reaction and they know they will get a strong reaction if they post negative comments here...

As was already said, no matter where I go, I'm offended by complete ignorance. Thing is, I'm not even sure these people understand they are trolls.

macbreakweekly

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2014
Apple, please buy Samsung silicon and panel fab, then drip-feed them back to them along with licencing fees. :D

You could always licence last year's "A<X>" CPU tech to Samsung, seeing as they really want to be so much like Apple.

----------

I have a small animation start-up company that Apple can purchase for a mere 3.5 million. That's pennies to them. All they have to do is give me a call and we'll make it happen!!

:D :D :D :D

That's a tiny sum; your product can't be very good. Aim higher, have faith in your product for goodness sake.

----------

Maybe Apple could buy Quicktime, and integrate it into iTunes.

I think that joke fell flat.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013

That my friend is a GEM..

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
I bet they bought some companies just for their own leisure.

"Tim, why did you buy San Francisco Soup Company?"

"I like their Tomato Bisque and needed it served everyday in our cafeteria."

mrsean

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
I am surprised Apple hasn't swallowed TiVo yet. Both companies products seem to appeal to the same type of people. Also, TiVo has a ton of patents regarding set top box technology. That has to interest Apple just a bit. Add to this that TiVo fired most of it's hardware engineers a month ago. Hmmm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.