Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Think I’d rather have the Apple card plus. Need to wait for 2nd gen. These rewards are pretty sad.

rcassano

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
Potomac, MD
Here I thought App Store purchases had me locked into Apple's ecosystem. A credit card that only exists in Apple Wallet will really make me feel locked down. Everyone's credit situation is different, but to open a card (with a hard credit pull) only to have to close it when you no longer have an Apple device isn't ideal (the physical card when you can't use Apple Pay is fine, but standalone doesn't seem as worthwhile).

But who am I kidding, I'm posting during the keynote, so I will probably always have an iPhone..

I would venture to guess that google will come up with a similar credit card for Android users within a year of Apples implementation. If so, you won’t feel so locked in anymore. It seems to me that the Apple Card is going to shakeup the credit card industry and force them to innovate and match Apples security - that’s a good thing!

John_L

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2017
You're assuming that everyone overspends when they have a credit card and that's not true. I use a credit card for everything and that doesn't make me spend more at all, because I do not see my credit card limit as "money available to spend". I know how much I can spend on things based on my budget, my checking and my savings account. I simply use the credit card instead of debit or cash because it gives me extra benefits for money that I would be spending anyway.
I agree fully. I do the same. The trick with credit cards is never to put yourself in a position where you can't pay off the balance immediately, with 1 payment. Too many people out there get a card, and the credit card companies feed you limit increases until your $5k or more in the hole, then they go to that mile long agreement you signed and find something to up you to their outrageous "default rate". Then you're stuck paying copious amounts of interest with little hope of paying it off anytime soon.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

Frank Dalton

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2015
Oklahoma Territory
It’s about how Apple is using its control over hardware and software, plus the fact that it doesn’t need the apple card to be profitable right away, to rethink the whole credit card experience.

They haven't rethought anything. It's lipstick on a pig.

Yes, any company could in theory have done what Apple did, but the point is that they haven’t, because it conflicts so much with their own business model. Waive annual fees? Not sell your data? Risk their own bottom line?

This isn't the first credit card without annual fees. Even "no late fees" has been done before (and isn't *that* compelling anyway, you're still going to get socked with an exorbitant interest rate). As to not "selling" the data, yeah, sure, they don't need to sell it because Goldman Sachs will already have it by virtue of operating the underlying financial service. No thanks, that isn't any better than every other card on the market. And I don't see any evidence that this involves any substantial risk to Apple's bottom line, so I don't buy that argument either.

It’s not a multi-orgasmic thrill ride, but it’s a welcome offering for those who appreciate what Apple has to offer here regardless.

Welcome for you, unwelcome for me. I remember when Apple made great computers, not branded credit cards. That was when "one more thing" actually meant something cool was about to be presented, not Oprah Winfrey appearing on stage.
[doublepost=1554055183][/doublepost]
Things don't simply have to be "innovative" for them to be something worthwhile that both consumers and companies can benefit from.

Apple could also sell milk in supermarkets, which could be worthwhile for both consumers and companies to benefit from. We used to expect more from Apple.

Reactions: ipponrg and Nugget

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Remember when Apple used to be a Computer/Technology Company...Now Apple the Credit Card company..Thanks Tim!

I dunno. I just finished reading a book on my XR, which is a mighty fine piece of gear even if I still like the smaller SE (the original, although the new one is tempting for its own reasons) as a "phone".

Tim Cook is still atop a computer / technology / services company. Much more so in a direct way than is, say, Jamie Dimon, whose companies also "do credit" while some of his minions oversee investment in technology. Best of all worlds for Apple if you ask me. The credit piece is an ancillary gig for Apple; it adds value in its own right (and enables even more added value via enabling customers' purchases of its products and services ) without being much more than a toe in the water when the occasional tsunami rolls onto global balance sheets.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I dunno. I just finished reading a book on my XR, which is a mighty fine piece of gear even if I still like the smaller SE (the original, although the new one is tempting for its own reasons) as a "phone".

Tim Cook is still atop a computer / technology / services company. Much more so in a direct way than is, say, Jamie Dimon, whose companies also "do credit" while some of his minions oversee investment in technology. Best of all worlds for Apple if you ask me. The credit piece is an ancillary gig for Apple; it adds value in its own right (and enables even more added value via enabling customers' purchases of its products and services ) without being much more than a toe in the water when the occasional tsunami rolls onto global balance sheets.

look at you bringing a year old thread back from the dead :D

• Love
Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
^^^^ LOL not the first time I've managed to do that somehow... no clue how it happened today. Must have thought it was a burgeoning thread related to some adjustments Apple made to its credit piece.

Everyone reset their smoke alarms now... it was just me finding out if they still work... my apologies!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.