Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As it does every year, Apple today opened registration for its annual three-day "Apple Camp" event. At Apple Camp, kids between the ages of 8 and 12 can partake in hands-on projects at Apple retail locations by choosing one of three tracks and spending 90 minutes per day for three days "immersed in their chosen subject."

apple-camp-2018.jpg

The three programs include "Coding with Sphero Robots", "Beat Making and Songwriting with GarageBand", and "Telling Stories with Clips." Apple broke down what each program is about on the registration page for Apple Camp:
Coding with Sphero Robots - In this three-day session for kids ages 8-12, we'll introduce the fundamentals of coding using Sphero robots. Each day Campers will learn a new coding concept and practice problem-solving skills. They'll partner up for fun activities to program their Sphero to change colors, create sounds, complete challenges, and more. Then they'll apply their coding skills to design their own games.

Beat Making and Songwriting with GarageBand - In this three-day session, kids ages 8-12 will discover the magic of beat making and songwriting. They'll start by exploring basic elements of song structure and how beats create the foundation of a song. Campers will get hands-on as they create music using Touch Instruments, add vocals, and fine-tune their creations with GarageBand on iPad. On day 3, they'll share their songs with the group.

Telling Stories with Clips - Future filmmakers ages 8-12 will explore the creative process of telling stories using video, photos, and music. Campers will brainstorm and storyboard their ideas. They'll get hands-on in groups to capture short videos, edit and enhance their shots with fun graphics and filters, and add opening and closing titles in the Clips app on iPad. On the final day, they'll present their video stories.
The days of the week and time for each program varies by region, with some classes taking place on a Monday-Wednesday-Friday schedule and others organized on a Tuesday-Thursday-Friday schedule. Classes typically begin at around 9:30 a.m. ET and stop around 5:30 p.m. ET.

The free Apple Camp sessions will kick off on July 9 and run through July 27, and parents interested can register their kids now on Apple.com in the United States, Canada, France, Italy, and more. In the United Kingdom and Germany, registration will open next Monday, June 25. Like previous years, parents or a legal guardian must accompany any child participating in the 90-minute sessions every day, and those kids who do participate will get a free Apple Camp t-shirt.

Article Link: Apple Camp Registration Now Open for Summer 2018 Programs

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Apple Camp brings back such fond memories of my Store Manager putting me on that crew to take me off the sales floor because I was outselling his business staff and making him look bad in the process. Then when that didn't take a hit to my sales and attach rates, he threw me into the theater as a Panther instructor... all the while making a horrible wage and selling millions in products to people who referred to the place as the "iPod store". That guy eventually got me, when he posted the wrong schedule online knowing I was moving back into college and didn't have internet for a day or two... which caused me to appear as if I had "walked out on the job." The best memories.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
interesting that they split the music and video into two camps. it used to be part of the same.

and I wonder if they have the same 1 camp per kid rule and how they will even enforce it. looking at the registration it's under the parents apple id and the only thing that designates a child is a name field. so nothing would stop me from putting Charlie for one can and Charles on another and it's the same kid

or maybe they have stopped caring and if someone wants to be a jerk and sign their kid for all three camps or even all sessions so other kids can't come that's on the parents

ras550

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
Thanks for posting. I saw this and was able to book my child for the camp. I wouldn't have found out about the camps otherwise!

Reactions: ljusmc

Benazafa

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2018
I just registered my daughter. It says nothing about the parent attending the event too. They make you acknowledge a release and provide an emergency contact. Seems like typical drop off camps to me. Am I missing something?

ShinySteelRobot

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Upper Left Corner, USA
My son loves these. The ones nearby seem to "sell out" in my area within 2-3 hours of going online, with the only remaining available sessions being 30 minutes away. This year I was quick on the draw and got my son into the camps for the nearest store, yay.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I just registered my daughter. It says nothing about the parent attending the event too. They make you acknowledge a release and provide an emergency contact. Seems like typical drop off camps to me. Am I missing something?

apparently you missed reading the Guardian release before you checked it off. it says right on the first line that you are the guardian and will be present during the whole event

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
Damn, these sound like fun. Y'know, I need a vacation. I wonder if I can sneak into the music and beatmaking one. It could happen!

But I guess I'd have to shave my beard and stop shaving my head, huh? :D

Reactions: Oldfash33

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Signed up my son for one of the robot classes. he was happy. He's missed these for years while his older sisters went since he was too young.

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Is there a schedule for when they become available next year? Most already sold out or have waiting lists by the time i read this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.