Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is set to open a new retail store at the revamped Carnegie Library in Washington, D.C. on Saturday, May 11, and ahead of the grand opening, Apple CEO Tim Cook and Apple retail leader Deirdre O'Brien did an interview with The Washington Post to discuss the new flagship location.

Work on the Carnegie Library Apple Store kicked off two years ago, and Apple has spent an estimated $30 million on the project. $7 million of that went towards facade restoration, $300,000 went to restoring the stair wells, and $2 million was spent on landscaping and site work. Apple is also paying $700,000 per year for the next 10 years to lease the space.

apple-carnegie-library-800x420.jpg

According to Cook, restoring Carnegie Library to its original design standards became the "most historic, ambitious restoration by far, in the world." Apple believes projects like this help showcase "Today at Apple" services and classes, though the company's aim is to get customers to further associate Apple with creativity.
"Our roots are in education and creativity," Cook said. "You think about where the company started from and Steve and the team at the time were very focused on providing people tools that allowed them to do incredible things."

"We've been serving the creative community as a company since the founding of the company, and the truth is everyone should be a part of the creative community," Cook added, "so this is our way to democratize it."
Like other remodeled Apple Stores, Carnegie Library will use the town square design with dedicated sections for the Genius Grove, Today at Apple sessions, and shopping for retail products. Buying something, says Cook is "probably one of the least done things" in an Apple retail location.

People come in to look at new products, and get help with the products that they already own. Apple sees its retail locations as communities rather than standard stores.
"We should probably come up with a name other than 'store,' " he said, "because it's more of a place for the community to use in a much broader way."
The Carnegie Library store will open at 10:00 a.m. local time on May 11, and Apple has six weeks of programs from local artists planned in celebration of the launch.

apple-carnegie-library-opening-800x679.jpg

Apple will be sharing the space with the Historical Society of Washington D.C., which plans to open up a D.C. History Center.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Discusses Apple's Revamped Carnegie Library Store in Washington, D.C.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gravydog316

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
I think this kind of deal is a good one, if done respectfully to maintain these historical buildings.

Apple chuck $30m into the upfront overall restororation budget, and in return get a (fairly cheap for such prestigious sites) $700k/yr (~$60k/mth) rent for a few years, which obviously helps to maintain the building in the future.

Are there even any National Trust type organisations in the US? I'm not sure.
But regardless, without money from private investments, many lessor known historic buildings would simply be lost.

Obviously it doesn't hurt on the PR front either, for said companies. ;-)

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
I guess you could say this may partially be a worthwhile reason to pay Apple its 40% margin, haha!

- contribute to restore historical buildings into Apple Stores: check.
- contribute money to fix worldwide sites of importance in crisis (a la Notre Dame): check.
- contribute (and help fundraise) Aids charities: check.
- contribute (and help fundraise) various natural disasters when they happen: check.
- make a new headless computer that's powerful enough and users love: pending.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Too bad these old historic building are being used to pimp products instead of history
Well yeeeah, but there's a library attached to Carnegie, so grab a Mac, read a few historical docs, now write a book on said historical docs, using said Mac, get paid for writing said book. A win win, surely!

In case you haven't been to many historical libraries and museums recently, they all tend to have stores, cafes, restaurants in them – especially the latter, as ya know, people need to eat while they study/research/visit. There's also this funny stuff called money, they need to continue, like the rest of us.

Last edited:

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Too bad these old historic building are being used to pimp products instead of history

And most of the ones that are still being used for the purposes of historic preservation are badly hurting for the funds needed for basic upkeep and safety (see the Brazil National Museum, or what's left after too little funding for fire safety systems). Extreme wealthy people and companies seem to fund a lot of the needed preservation work, as politicians and voters send public funds to their favorite pork barrels instead.

So how much have you donated to your favorite historical societies or museums lately?

Last edited:

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Before and after

Attachments

• 45A634E5-CB91-469D-BC91-B5724FEA90C5.jpeg
    45A634E5-CB91-469D-BC91-B5724FEA90C5.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1,175
  • C8662F85-2CE8-435F-87B2-1F616C0A154D.jpeg
    C8662F85-2CE8-435F-87B2-1F616C0A154D.jpeg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,136
  • 802A9AEE-BA0A-4A3E-975D-1BBA8C064DFF.jpeg
    802A9AEE-BA0A-4A3E-975D-1BBA8C064DFF.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 1,159
  • 73E5875A-C5CF-4A9B-ADD8-087DF4C4A589.jpeg
    73E5875A-C5CF-4A9B-ADD8-087DF4C4A589.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,161
  • 4408E6FD-BD1D-400F-BEE1-3B2396650F1F.jpeg
    4408E6FD-BD1D-400F-BEE1-3B2396650F1F.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,138
  • 0B0D5491-6FAE-467A-A339-16526DA13B1A.jpeg
    0B0D5491-6FAE-467A-A339-16526DA13B1A.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 1,141

outskirtsofinfinity

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2017
Calgary
Whoever designed this poster should be shot out of a canon into space for their travesty against humanity for it's wanton abuse of fonts..

I agree. This is bad design practice. It reminds me of stuff I did when I was a kid and discovered all the cool fonts available right there on the computer. Use one font, two at most. Show restraint.

But I guess it plays into all the identity and diversity crap, so yeah.

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
There is something off-putting and false when he talks all these platitudes; especially when espousing Apple’s history regarding creativity and the need to learn to code.

We are talking about a high profile bean counter who is against right to repair. Considering, the company’s founding came out of the creativity of Steve Wozniak who soldered together the first Apple I from parts. Steve Jobs saw a business opportunity and built a vision on it. It was Wozniak doing the coding too. Now Apple would be against a 15 year old interested in opening up his or her iPhone and learning how to fix it.

I just think someone else should be goodie two show position and Tim just focus on the business of Apple. It really doesn’t fit him. When take into account when Steve Jobs called him 2007 at the iPhone event the guy was ready spew Excel numbers.

Swaderz

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2019
Well yeeeah, but there's a library attached to Carnegie, so grab a Mac, read a few historical docs, now write a book on said historical docs, using said Mac, get paid for writing said book. A win win, surely!

In case you haven't been to many historical libraries and museums recently, they all tend to have stores, cafes, restaurants in them – especially the latter, as ya know, people need to eat while they study. There's also this funny stuff called money they need to continue.

Reminds me of Galaxy Quest,

Gwen: They're not all historical documents. Surely, you don't think Gilligan's Island is a ...

Mathazar: Those poor people.

Scooz

Suspended
Apr 9, 2012
Whoever designed this poster should be shot out of a canon into space for their travesty against humanity for it's wanton abuse of fonts..

Yeah, not exactly something that came out of Reed College‘s calligraphy course...

Behold the signs, um, glyphs of the new :apple:!!! :eek:

(I still like the project, though. Gives a totally new meaning to the the term "Macbooks".)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.