Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

icloudkit.jpg
Apple today told developers that it is offering a set of tools to help them fulfill data requests made by users in the European Union or other places around the world to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that goes into effect in May.

Following the implementation of the GDPR developers will need to comply with customer requests for accessing, managing, restricting, and deleting data. To facilitate this, Apple says developers can let users manage data that's associated with an app and stored in iCloud by using native APIs and Web APIs.
You can let users manage data that's associated with your app and stored in iCloud by using native APIs and Web APIs.

Providing User Access to CloudKit Data
Give users access to the data stored by your app on their behalf.
When a user requests a copy of the data associated with their Apple ID, it includes only the data that Apple maintains directly, such as documents in iCloud Drive. Data stored in third-party CloudKit containers are not included in any export that Apple provides. Developers should provide their own method for users to get a copy of data stored in their CloudKit containers.

Responding to Requests to Delete Data
Provide options for users to delete their CloudKit data from your app.
Apple too will be implementing new features to comply with the new European regulations. Starting in Early May, the company will introduce an updated Apple ID website that will allow users to download all of their data stored with the company.

Apple also plans to allow customers to use the site to correct personal information, disable Apple ID accounts, and permanently delete an Apple ID. These tools will be available in Europe first before expanding to other areas of the world.

Article Link: Apple Outlines Developer Tools Available for Complying With the EU's New Data Regulation Rules

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Just like the EU came down on MS for including IE ensuring dominant market share, once again the world will benefit from EU regulation. Europe tends to look out and protect consumers a lot more than our bought off Congress which always looks the other way while corporations do what they want.

I think it’s great that we’ll be able to download everything Apple has. I wonder if I’ll find photos and documents that I deleted a while ago. While Apple is not as dependent on our personal data is Facebook and Google are, it’s still a good idea to keep them honest.

In fact, although some Google products are superior like Maps and Google’s assistant, I simply don’t use them because of the rampant data collection. I do exclusively use google as a search engine since they have the best product. Also gmail since I’ve had it since the invite only days and it revolutionized e-mail. I refuse to use Docs, Photos and Drive since I just don’t trust them with the contents of my hard drives. The only way to protect your data is to keep it local. I use iCloud for convenience but only for stuff that is not really sensitive. I would never upload my entire drive to iCloud either.

Last edited:

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Just like the EU came down on MS for including IE ensuring dominant market share, once again the world will benefit from EU regulation.

Aside from a weird unbundled version they sold in Europe, the EU didn't really affect IE dominance.
What's killing IE is another monopolist using their dominant market share to push their browser at every possibility. You might call it poetic justice, but I think it's just more of the same problem …

But otherwise I agree. So far companies didn't have a reason not to just collect everything just in case they need it. Now they have a reason, and maybe that's enough to make some people consider their practices.

Reactions: tardegrade

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Aside from a weird unbundled version they sold in Europe, the EU didn't really affect IE dominance.
What's killing IE is another monopolist using their dominant market share to push their browser at every possibility. You might call it poetic justice, but I think it's just more of the same problem …

But otherwise I agree. So far companies didn't have a reason not to just collect everything just in case they need it. Now they have a reason, and maybe that's enough to make some people consider their practices.

I agree. MS shot themselves in the foot by being lazy with IE6. I can’t tell you how many times I fixed infested PCs for friends and family. I finally got fed up and decided to remove all the IE shortcuts from the start menu and desktop, install Firefox and tell them this is now the Internet lol! Firefox and Chrome offered not only security, but a much better experience with all sorts of extensions and themes. Near the end of XP, they were the only options to have an up to date browser with the latest standards.

Suspended
Aug 29, 2015
Just like the EU came down on MS for including IE ensuring dominant market share, once again the world will benefit from EU regulation. Europe tends to look out and protect consumers a lot more than our bought off Congress which always looks the other way while corporations do what they want.

I think it’s great that we’ll be able to download everything Apple has. I wonder if I’ll find photos and documents that I deleted a while ago. While Apple is not as dependent on our personal data is Facebook and Google are, it’s still a good idea to keep them honest.

In fact, although some Google products are superior like Maps and Google’s assistant, I simply don’t use them because of the rampant data collection. I do exclusively use google as a search engine since they have the best product. Also gmail since I’ve had it since the invite only days and it revolutionized e-mail. I refuse to use Docs, Photos and Drive since I just don’t trust them with the contents of my hard drives. The only way to protect your data is to keep it local. I use iCloud for convenience but only for stuff that is not really sensitive. I would never upload my entire drive to iCloud either.

While back, I also thought that google search engine was the best.

But now I use DuckDuckGo and never look back. For my privacy concerns and my needs, there is probably nothing better

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney

How did gmail revolutionise email?

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017

They produced the best web-mail service at the time with lots of free storage growing by the year. It also eliminated having to manually configure often problematic ISP e-mail within mail clients.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
They produced the best web-mail service at the time with lots of free storage growing by the year. It also eliminated having to manually configure often problematic ISP e-mail within mail clients.

Maybe so, but that free storage had other costs (like advertising and dubious privacy) while loads of competitors sprang up pretty quickly. Maybe they effectively killed Hotmail, but I’d hardly describe them in such superlative terms as “revolutionary”!

I’ve never used it personally. I love Fastmail.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marekul

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
I'm one for privacy, and the GDPR's intentions are noble on its face, but the incredibly vague language and requirements are going to drive a huge number of websites and app makers out of business. If your favourite app or website is ad supported, expect it to hit some very rough times ahead.

Reactions: Marekul

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
I'm one for privacy, and the GDPR's intentions are noble on its face, but the incredibly vague language and requirements are going to drive a huge number of websites and app makers out of business. If your favourite app or website is ad supported, expect it to hit some very rough times ahead.

yeah and you have to assume this intentionally so. EU is run by globalists and their multinational corporation, and they both know very well how to create a problem, and then offer a solution that pleases the public, but benefits only themselves...

Apple Fritter

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017

They never did. E-Mail has been around for 30 years and never needed any Google treatment.

Just like WhatsApp "revolutionised" messengers. They were readily available on all platforms. Here comes WhatsApp, limits use to a friggin phone, makes you upload your number and those of all people you know to their servers, shares it with Facebook and lo and behold, it's all the rage. Senseless, mindless hype is all it is.

Reactions: simonmet

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
They never did. E-Mail has been around for 30 years and never needed any Google treatment.

Just like WhatsApp "revolutionised" messengers. They were readily available on all platforms. Here comes WhatsApp, limits use to a friggin phone, makes you upload your number and those of all people you know to their servers, shares it with Facebook and lo and behold, it's all the rage. Senseless, mindless hype is all it is.

That was my point in asking the rhetorical question. :)

Reactions: Apple Fritter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.