Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mobile analytics firm Flurry today reports Apple accounted for just over half of new mobile device activations for the holiday season, with 51.3 percent of worldwide activations going to the Cupertino-based company.

Using data from more than 600,000 tracked apps, Flurry focused on the week leading up to and including Christmas, from December 19-25. Trailing Apple in worldwide device activations was Samsung with nearly 18 percent and Nokia at almost 6 percent. Xiaomi, Huawei, and HTC all had less than one percent of device activations, which Flurry notes could be related to their popularity in Asian markets where the holiday season isn't the big gift-giving event it is in other parts of the world.

flurry_christmas_2014_1.jpg
To put this in perspective, for every Samsung devices that was activated, Apple activated 2.9 devices. For every Microsoft Lumia device activated, Apple activated 8.8 devices. While, the holidays in general and Christmas in particular are not the sole indicator of the smartphone market share and trends, it is safe to say that Apple's newly released iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have had a blockbuster holiday season, despite a lackluster holiday season for the consumer electronics industry.
Flurry also notes that on Christmas Day the number of app installs more than doubled compared to the early weeks of December, pointing to games and messaging apps as seeing the biggest jumps on Christmas morning.

The analytics firm also notes that "phablets" are gaining significant share in the market thanks to Apple's entry with the iPhone 6 Plus. "Medium Phones" such as the iPhone 6 still dominate the market as in years past, but the growth of the phablet in 2014 has taken share away from "Full-size Tablets" and, less drastically, "Small Tablets."

flurry_christmas_2014_2.jpg
Looking at the year ahead, Flurry predicts iOS devices will continue to perform well alongside a continued shift in public opinion that will drive continued growth for the phablet form factor.

Article Link: Apple Dominates Christmas Week With Over Half of New Mobile Device Activations

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Because the majority that received a Samsung product sadly had to return it before they even went to activate and buy Apple instead ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
I find interesting how the Tablet market is decreasing in favor of the Phablet market. It seems kind of logic too: given the size of those monsters (iPhone 6+ is 5.5"), then perhaps buying also an iPad Mini (7.9") is redundant.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
.... to say nothing.
A dubious "achievement".

At any rate: in the Samsung vs. Apple game that I usually consider neck & neck, 51% vs. 8% is VERY impressive!

Last edited by a moderator:

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Apple did good job with iPhone Plus. It just shows that phablets are more mobile than tablets - which require bags to carry or big pockets. With phablets, consumers also can save by merging two different data plans into one, carry less and so on. Maybe, this will finally require redoing of iPad line - making it more suitable for content production, such as sensitivity levels, more sophisticated input details such as cursors, a sort of built in keyboards, allowing use of mouse or other device like that, also maybe slots for additional memory - basically usual USB sort of things. Then people would buy iPads again.

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
How is this representative of Christmas?

Who opens their Christmas gifts BEFORE Christmas? Seems like this just represents people who activated their phones on Christmas day. If they even extended it a few days later they might get a lot more activations.

Babbles

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2014
U.S.A
While this may look like a huge success, it's only short-term. The last "revolutionary" thing Apple created was the iPad, but they failed to update it and continuously keep it fresh. Now, more and more people are switching to alternative tablets.

Now that the iPhone has made a non-revolutionary change by creating a bigger screen and adding unremarkable additions to its iOS (Samsung thought of this over four? years ago). Even Google is surpassing Apple's Siri with Cortana. Really? Google? Does anyone remember how bad it was when it first came out?!

Apple has failed and failed to innovate and now with the iWatch is moving backwards to try and find any niche it can in the market. Apple is a failure and I hope they can get it together fast before all those iPhone users realize this.

nad8e

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Colorado
Who opens their Christmas gifts BEFORE Christmas?

People who live in reality?

----------

Apple has failed and failed to innovate and now with the iWatch is moving backwards to try and find any niche it can in the market. Apple is a failure and I hope they can get it together fast before all those iPhone users realize this.

I'm glad you're not managing my tech investments. Or maybe you're just using sarcasm! If so, LOL.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
While this may look like a huge success, it's only short-term. The last "revolutionary" thing Apple created was the iPad, but they failed to update it and continuously keep it fresh. Now, more and more people are switching to alternative tablets.

Now that the iPhone has made a non-revolutionary change by creating a bigger screen and adding unremarkable additions to its iOS (Samsung thought of this over four? years ago). Even Google is surpassing Apple's Siri with Cortana. Really? Google? Does anyone remember how bad it was when it first came out?!

You forgot /s. :D

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Only 50% of market? Epic failure for Apple 2014. All management should be fired and Tim's "CEO of the year" title revoked. Why didn't Apple get 100% of all activations? ;)

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland

This is one of the dumbest comments I have ever read.

First, Cortana is Microsoft not Google. Second, do you really classify a bigger screen as a revolutionary achievement by Samsung?

nad8e

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Colorado
Apple did good job with iPhone Plus. It just shows that phablets are more mobile than tablets - which require bags to carry or big pockets. With phablets, consumers also can save by merging two different data plans into one, carry less and so on.

Big issue with tablets is they have a phone number assigned to them, but limit use of the number for texting/phone calls. Totally stupid. I don't want a new iPad until I can take it by itself and receive calls/texts on it the exact way I can with an iPhone.

... more sophisticated input details such as cursors, a sort of built in keyboards, allowing use of mouse or other device like that, also maybe slots for additional memory - basically usual USB sort of things. Then people would buy iPads again.

Never happen. If really motivated these can be done w/out Apple. The profitable market segment doesn't want/need these.

I do think we are months away from being able to use an iPhone as a "trackpad" for an iPad.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Who opens their Christmas gifts BEFORE Christmas? Seems like this just represents people who activated their phones on Christmas day. If they even extended it a few days later they might get a lot more activations.

Many families exchange gifts on Christmas Eve.

When you have to go to separate houses to celebrate Christmas, one to the husband's family and one to the wife's family, usually one is done on Christmas Eve, the other on Christmas Day.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Many families exchange gifts on Christmas Eve.

When you have to go to separate houses to celebrate Christmas, one to the husband's family and one to the wife's family, usually one is done on Christmas Eve, the other on Christmas Day.

I think the original point is that the article states the data is for the WEEK leading up to Christmas, not just the day before. So, the original question does make sense.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
So, are we happy this is now the official terminology.. ?

iPhone 6 = medium phone
iPhone 6+ = phablet

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Maybe, this will finally require redoing of iPad line - making it more suitable for content production, such as sensitivity levels, more sophisticated input details such as cursors, a sort of built in keyboards, allowing use of mouse or other device like that...

I was hoping Apple would have done this by now, but I don't think that's the direction they want to take. If you need that type of flexibility, you're probably better off with a MacBook Air.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
.... to say nothing.
A dubious "achievement".

At any rate: in the Samsung vs. Apple game that I usually consider neck & neck, 51% vs. 8% is VERY impressive!

Why do you ever consider it neck & neck? Apple typically outsells 6 months of Galaxy phones in less than a month every single year.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Looking at this data, what really surprises me is how well the Lumia is selling. When did that become a thing? I'm glad to have some original competition, unlike Android. My uncle bought a Lumia for fun when they were on sale for cheap and the Cortana feature seems to work well. He still uses an iPhone as his everyday device but sometimes plays around with the Lumia. Hopefully they will eventually edge out Android. Crazier things have happened, but yeah that's probably wishful thinking.

I think the best market condition for us (the Apple enthusiasts) is Apple slightly dominant with Microsoft nipping at their heels and Google in last place catering to the dorks who like to overclock their octo-core (yet unoptimized) phones. This will keep the pressure on Apple for new device and OS innovation but ensure that we have the dominant ecosystem for apps and media which allows Apple to keep innovating in that space (think about the rumored Apple TV service where you can pick which channels you want to pay for and other things which might shake up industries).

IMO the biggest difference between Microsoft and Google is that it at least seems like Microsoft cares about consumer privacy and security. They just haven't been very good at it. So for that reason and the fact that they helped save Apple back in the 90s, I hope they take the #2 spot. They've been doing some interesting things lately so I hope they continue to improve. It would be great if Apple could do some collaboration with them when it comes to cloud stuff. I've heard good things about Azure and Apple can take any help that they can get when it comes to services. It would also be cool if they could work together on search engine technology.

As for phablet sales, I have a feeling that a good chunk of Plus users will switch back to a smaller device during their next upgrade cycle. Not a huge chunk but the numbers will be a little lower for the Plus. I had settled into a two year cycle but am going to switch from an iPhone 6 Plus to an iPhone 6S next year. I usually make well informed technology purchases but this one was a miss. It's just too big and it's my fault I bought it and tried to stick with it. I think others may feel the same way but time will tell. It's too bad that a 5" iPhone doesn't exist. I also hope that they sell an updated 4" version. I know many people who are holding out hope for that one and getting scared they're going to have to switch to a new platform. What Apple should do is release a 4", 5", and 6" iPhone with reduced top and bottom bezel "chins". They have a patent for Touch ID in the LCD and force touch in the Apple Watch, so they could do a home button on the screen. It's just less obvious of a design choice so they need to be careful. Having three simple sizes would be great. But perhaps I'm only saying that because 5" would be ideal for me. However I do know people who still miss the 3.5" screen size so a reduced bezel 4" would be nearly the same height.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013

I am sure all 800 Million users with switch to Android after reading this.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
In which way was the iPhone kept fresh but the iPad was not kept fresh?

If somebody had actually trademarked the Apple is doomed™, they would be making good money on it.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

Yeah, it's almost like Apple couldn't hold on to greater than 50% of the tablet market all by themselves by only selling the most profitable, higher end models while up against undercutting, race to the bottom, sub-par performing, crap...someone should be fired!!

Samsung thought of what, exactly, 4 years ago? Having a gigantic ass battery on a phone and including a larger screen to cover up the complete lack of power efficiency of the OS? Yes, that's what they "thought of". Also interesting is that Samsung's ads "welcome" Apple to 2012 while trying to ape Apple's 2013 features...and really, they themselves are still stuck in 2012 creating the same Galaxy S series phone over and over again. It's like they're not even trying to change the design, and their sales are slipping...but Apple's the one who's messing up here?

Not sure if you realize the difference between success and failure but when there are now more iPhone users than there were before, it looks like those people buying Android seem to be "falling for it".

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
So, are we happy this is now the official terminology.. ?

iPhone 6 = medium phone
iPhone 6+ = phablet

Yeah I guess that's the right terminology now a days. No premium brand manufactures top-of-the-line "small" phones (4" and under) anymore, so I guess we'll have to consider 4.7" as "medium" now a days.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Apple is a failure and I hope they can get it together fast before all those iPhone users realize this.

I wish I could fail like this with billions in the bank.

Please list your accomplishments in any field, your innovations, bottom line profit, etc. etc.

For sure you must have sold millions and millions of something to feel entitled to
comment like you do.

Would be an interesting comparison. We are waiting!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.