Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has enabled carrier billing in Belgium and Norway, expanding upon the feature's existing availability in Germany, Japan, Russia, Switzerland, Taiwan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates. The feature is limited to select carriers in each country -- share if yours is supported in the comments.

mobile-carrier-billing.jpg

The payment method enables customers to pay for iTunes content, App Store apps, iBooks, and Apple Music subscriptions without needing a credit or debit card, or even a bank account. Instead, purchases are added to a customer's mobile phone bill and paid off at the end of the month.

Apple has a support document explaining how to set up carrier billing on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and Mac or PC.

Article Link: Apple Expands Carrier Billing to Belgium and Norway

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
The payment method enables customers to pay for iTunes content, App Store apps, iBooks, and Apple Music subscriptions without needing a credit or debit card, or even a bank account. Instead, purchases are added to a customer's mobile phone bill and paid off at the end of the month.

Serious Question... Do you not need a credit/debit card or a bank account to have a phone bill? I can't imagine mobile carriers are allowing you to mail them paper money. Or is this just people not trusting Apple with the info and wanting to consolidate bills?

Last edited:

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Serious Question... Do you not need a credit/debit card or a bank account to have a phone bill? I can't imagine mobile carriers are allowing you to mail them paper money.

You can take your post-paid bill to a convenience store and pay cash. Or you buy recharge cards for prepaid. Or you go buy a money order/postal order with cash and mail that in.

Reactions: ck2875

larspetterh

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Norway
Telenor in Norway supports carrier billing. I was able to change from credit card billing and verified my phone number.
[doublepost=1480443006][/doublepost]
You can take your post-paid bill to a convenience store and pay cash. Or you buy recharge cards for prepaid. Or you go buy a money order/postal order with cash and mail that in.
In Norway the most usual way of paying bills is through internet banking by "sending" money electronically from one bank account to another.

Edit: You do not need to have a debit card connected to the account to do this.

Last edited:

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
If this is ever enabled in the U.S., there's no way I'll do it. Some of the major U.S. carriers have a history of overcharging customers for services they didn't sign up for and burying those overcharges deep in the line items on bills. That happened to my wife several years ago and when we caught it, AT&T ended up refunding us close to $100, as I recall.

igorsysoev

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2016
Serious Question... Do you not need a credit/debit card or a bank account to have a phone bill? I can't imagine mobile carriers are allowing you to mail them paper money. Or is this just people not trusting Apple with the info and wanting to consolidate bills?
There are several ways to top up a mobile account without card or bank account at least in Russia:
  • in many self-service terminals like QIWI by cash (probably most popular way),
  • in mobile store by cash,
  • by local electronic payment service Yandex.Money, WebMoney, etc (they are similar to PayPal),
  • by sending money from another mobile account,
  • by prepaid cards (popular 15 years ago, I believe they are not used now).
And finally you can transfer money to a mobile account using online or mobile banking but card or bank account details are concealed from mobile operator.

beestigbeestje

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
Belgium
@beestigbeestje it works great for Mobile Viking, just cause it isn't adding up to your bill, Mobile Vikings uses a mix of subscription and pre-paid, at the moment I have €152 and I can't really use it, if this would work for me it would be great, but did you did something special? I'm not able to get this working, when I try to set it up it says: "Betaling via de mobiele telefoonrekening is alleen beschikbaar met Pay By Mobile. Voer een ander mobiel nummer in of selecteer een andere betaalmethode." Mobile Vikings ftw
Didn't really test it. I just saw the option and posted the screenshot. I have the same problem. Will check if linking MV to my VISA (Easy Payment) fixes that.

segers909

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Belgium
@beestigbeestje it works great for Mobile Viking, just cause it isn't adding up to your bill, Mobile Vikings uses a mix of subscription and pre-paid, at the moment I have €152 and I can't really use it, if this would work for me it would be great, but did you did something special? I'm not able to get this working, when I try to set it up it says: "Betaling via de mobiele telefoonrekening is alleen beschikbaar met Pay By Mobile. Voer een ander mobiel nummer in of selecteer een andere betaalmethode." Mobile Vikings ftw

Just wanted to note that, if you can't find anything better to do with the money on your sim, you can recover 50% using thoorn.nl.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.