Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has expanded mobile phone billing to additional countries and carriers, according to an updated support document on its website.

app-store-phone-icons.jpg

As of this week, the feature is now supported by Movistar in Chile, and dtac and AIS in Thailand. Elsewhere, Vodafone and O2 has been added to the list of supporting carriers in Netherlands and Czech Republic, respectively.

The payment method allows Apple customers to pay for iTunes Store content, App Store apps, iBooks, and Apple Music subscriptions without needing a debit or credit card, or even a bank account. Instead, purchases are added to a customer's mobile phone bill and paid off at the end of the month.

The payment method is already offered by select carriers in Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Japan, Hong Kong, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Norway, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and the United Kingdom.

Apple's support document explains how to set up mobile phone billing in the iTunes Store on both iPhone and iPad or Mac and PC.

Article Link: Apple Expands Mobile Phone Billing to Thailand and Chile

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
What about people who's using US store? Will Apple allows them to pay on cellular bill too or is it restricted to local store?

Onexy

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
This is the ********* way of paying. It’s regularly abused.

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
I wish we had this in Australia. I see it whenever I’m in the UK and think about how neat it would be.

Intellectua1

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Seattle, Washington
People would be more willing to purchase apps this way as they are taking a direct or immediate hit to the pockets. At&t had this feature for Android phones but it seems to have disappeared recently.

duston

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2009
Anyone else remember having this... TEN years ago on their Razr? Hoping this will come to Canada.. but it won’t.

omglolbbq

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
I wish we had this in Australia. I see it whenever I’m in the UK and think about how neat it would be.
Telstra allowed you to buy from the Google Play Store with your credit for years but removed it recently so I don’t see us getting this anytime soon. At least with Telstra that is.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Anyone else remember having this... TEN years ago on their Razr? Hoping this will come to Canada.. but it won’t.

Yes, and removing the carrier from the equation was one of the best things about the App store.
[doublepost=1555605304][/doublepost]

"I am sorry, but our system says you downloaded this program. We can't refund you if it says you downloaded it."
"Did you unsubscribe before you deleted it? Deleting the app doesn't remove the monthly charge."
"I don't have any notes here that you requested apps be blocked. I can lie and tell you I blocked it today but to verify it you would have to try and buy an app."
"I am sorry, but there are no refunds on downloads. As a ONE TIME COURTESY I will credit you 50% of the cost, but in the future you will be responsible for any downloads we charge you for."

Last edited:
Reactions: makr

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I want it the other way around. I would rather pay my phone bill to Apple and have my provider be just a utility.

Cell providers are notoriously horrible at customer service and people dread having to call them. Wouldn’t it be great if our phone bills showed up on our devices, we pay via Apple Pay and Apple remits the payment to the provider?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.