Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Two-Union-Square-Seattle.jpg
Apple has agreed to lease office space in the Two Union Square skyscraper in downtown Seattle, according to Bloomberg. The report claims that Apple will occupy the 44th floor and half of the 45th floor in the 56-story office building, which is a roughly 30,000-square-foot space that can house 120 to 200 employees based on standard corporate leasing ratios.

Seattle has become a hotbed recently for Silicon Valley companies because of its talent pool and lower cost of living compared with the San Francisco Bay Area, with Amazon, Facebook, Google and Alibaba Group among the tech giants with offices in the region. Apple opened its first engineering office in the city last year after acquiring Union Bay Networks.

Apple has hired more than 9,000 employees in the last year and now has a worldwide headcount of about 115,000, according to the report. The company's existing Seattle office focuses on core infrastructure services such as iCloud, suggesting the northwestern U.S. city could serve as a hub for its rumored high-speed content delivery network for faster cloud services.

Article Link: Apple Expands Seattle Presence With New Lease at Two Union Square

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Hmm... Don't really know what to say about this one.

It's a nice building.

** Snarky dated remark about Microsoft to be inserted later. **

Well I think that covers just about everything. :oops:

Reactions: Jamalien and k1121j

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Lower cost of living in Seattle?
I reeeeeaaaallllyyyy don't want to know how bad it is in San Francisco...

I'm not sure how cost of living applies to Apple. Do they mean that office space is cheaper to lease and employees don't need as high of salaries? Cost of living doesn't really apply to corporations even it they are legally people.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Apple hired 9000 employees in 2014 alone and they always say they lack engineers to work on OS X, iOS and apps.
You do realize the majority of those 9000 employees most likely are not engineers right? And you do realize good Engineers don't come a dime a dozen right? Apple hires employees and managers for their stores. They hire people for their PR department. They hire customer service telesales on multi-levels. They hire secretaries at the corporate office. They hire managers in select departments of the company. I can go on.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA

Seattle has become a hotbed recently for Silicon Valley companies because of its talent pool and lower cost of living compared with the San Francisco Bay Area, with Amazon, Facebook, Google and Alibaba Group among the tech giants with offices in the region. Apple opened its first engineering office in the city last year after acquiring Union Bay Networks.

Article Link: Apple Expands Seattle Presence With New Lease at Two Union Square

Amazon doesn't just have "offices in the region", Seattle is their headquarters.

Reactions: Lazy

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I'm not sure how cost of living applies to Apple. Do they mean that office space is cheaper to lease and employees don't need as high of salaries? Cost of living doesn't really apply to corporations even it they are legally people.

The article is likely referring to the cost of living of Apple's employees. It's hard to buy a house in the South Bay (at least Cupertino, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale) for under a million, and if you do it's likely got a lot of problems. It's not so much the cost of living here (groceries, gas, etc), but rather the cost of housing (or at least the land). That said, Apple doesn't seem to be looking to move out of the area anytime soon given the massive spaceship campus they are building--1.5 floors of a skyscraper in Seattle is nothing compared to that traffic-stopping circle being constructed.

Reactions: HangmanSwingset

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
What about somewhere like say, Duluth? or [insert just about anywhere in the lower 48 states outside of a major connurbation] I'd bet that the cost of housing and living would be a quite a bit lower than Seattle or San Francisco?
But would anyone want to go there? :(

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012

It means that they can get people to actually apply for and interview for jobs because those people can afford to live where the company is. My husband, who works in marketing, often gets calls about great-sounding jobs (including at least once from Apple) in Silicon Valley, but he turns them down every time because the obscene housing costs in Silicon Valley would be a huge hit to our standard of living. Since we already own in Seattle, we're more than happy to stay here and watch the value of our house keep climbing.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Yeah he REALLY hasn't been here the last 3 months. Good grief.... this ridiculous summer will never end. And to think I moved here because I LOVE overcast skies and the sound of rain on my skylight.

Yeah... so much for that...

That'll be back in November. No worries. :)

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
that was for the marketing department ;)
You do realize the majority of those 9000 employees most likely are not engineers right? And you do realize good Engineers don't come a dime a dozen right? Apple hires employees and managers for their stores. They hire people for their PR department. They hire customer service telesales on multi-levels. They hire secretaries at the corporate office. They hire managers in select departments of the company. I can go on.

You seems to not realize that a company which can hire 9000 employees in a single year surely can afford some dozens or even hundreds of engineers to work on their core products.

Reactions: SirCheese

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
You seems to not realize that a company which can hire 9000 employees in a single year surely can afford some dozens or even hundreds of engineers to work on their core products.

I completely agree with you, I was just being a smart-arse there.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Apple hired 9000 employees in 2014 alone and they always say they lack engineers to work on OS X, iOS and apps.

Hm. When they interviewed me it was for an embedded bluetooth device position. Wasn't particularly interested in it - I would have been much more interested in working on OS X/iOS.

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
I bet Amazon's AWS means that there are a lot of great network/infrastructure engineers in Seattle maybe looking for a nicer employer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.