Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on "several different kinds" of wearable augmented reality prototypes as it tries to figure out the "most compelling application" for an AR headset, reports Financial Times.

Citing sources with knowledge of Apple's plans, Financial Times says at least one group within Apple is pushing for a pair of glasses that feature a 3D camera but no screens, making the iPhone the main display, similar to Snap's Spectacles, but no final design decisions have been made.

Spectacles-800x533.jpg
Snap's camera-equipped screen-free Spectacles​

Rumors of Apple's work on AR smart glasses first surfaced in 2016, and previous rumors have suggested the glasses will connect wirelessly to the iPhone, much like the Apple Watch, and will display "images and other information to the wearer."

While Robert Scoble suggested Apple could launch the smart glasses this year through a partnership with Carl Zeiss, most rumors (like today's) suggest Apple is still in a prototyping phase and that a launch is still a ways off.

Earlier this year, Financial Times said Apple was "stepping up" development on an augmented reality wearable, but a potential launch is at least a year away or longer. Bloomberg has predicted a similar timeline, suggesting Apple is perhaps aiming to launch a product in 2018.

As Apple works on AR smart glasses, the company is preparing to make its first major move into augmented reality with the launch of iOS 11 and ARKit, a set of APIs designed to allow developers to build powerful augmented reality experiences into apps and games. When ARKit launches, the iPhone and the iPad will become the largest augmented reality platform in the world given the large number of devices already out in the wild.

Over the course of the past several months, Apple CEO Tim Cook has talked about Apple's work on augmented reality several times. Just this past week, he called it "big and profound" and said he "could not be more excited" about AR and what developers are creating with ARKit.

"This is one of those huge things that we'll look back and marvel at the start of it," he said.

Article Link: Apple Experimenting With Several Augmented Reality Glasses Prototypes

seatton

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
It would be so cool if the frame of those glasses are changeable just like the watch bands. Where can I pre-order them?

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
If (a) the electronics can be seamlessly integrated into the frame; (b) an unobtrusive interface can be developed; (c) it can be made independent from the smartphone; (d) it isn't prohibitively expensive, then I guess it could, sometime in the future, be a candidate to replace the iPhone. Yes, there are a lot of "ifs" there.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I hope Apple works really hard and creates something far more impressive than the likes of Snap or even Google Glass. Something thinner, better performing, and with an intuitive UI.

Then, just to troll everyone, they package the device exclusively in the frames of those commemorative New Years glasses.

And they don't even bother to use the right year.

2010glasses_02.jpg

Last edited:

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
What if these appeared in September's keynote? it definitely won't happen but it would be cool nonetheless.

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
Those Snapchat glasses make me laugh, 60% of the time, every time.

Hopefully Apple understands we need glasses that look like glasses. Cameras need to be completely hidden along with any other sensors.

People freak out over the idea of being in a photo on someone's computer somewhere. Remember what happened with the google glass?

Last edited:

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
glasses that feature 3D camera but no screens, making the iPhone the main display

So whats the point then? Why are these different from normal glasses?
[doublepost=1501880015][/doublepost]You have a camera on the glasses just to see what you see on the iphone display? How is this not dumb?

KCMichaelB

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Kansas, USA
If (a) the electronics can be seamlessly integrated into the frame; (b) an unobtrusive interface can be developed; (c) it can be made independent from the smartphone; (d) it isn't prohibitively expensive, then I guess it could, sometime in the future, be a candidate to replace the iPhone. Yes, there are a lot of "ifs" there.
How am I supposed to take a selfie with my AR glasses on? The iPhone is not going anywhere.

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
How am I supposed to take a selfie with my AR glasses on? The iPhone is not going anywhere.
As others said, glasses, watch and AirPods. In that situation I could imagine using the Watch with a camera for the selfie crowd.

That's a vision of the distant future. The iPhone isn't going anywhere for a long time.

I don't think I would ever be able to use glasses or the Watch to browse the web and comment on forums. That's a big issue I see

Last edited:

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Looking forward to what Apple comes up with here. So glad Apple is going to give us AR - presumably with some privacy built in. Doesn't seem like anyone else will do that.

As others said, glasses, watch and AirPods. In that situation I could imagine using the Watch with a camera for the selfie crowd.

That's a vision of the distant future. The iPhone isn't going anywhere for a long time.

I don't think I would ever be able to use glasses or the Watch to browse the web and comment on forums. That's a big issue I see

Well said. I think VR is really the only other thing that might be able to do somewhat good browsing (outside a iPad and Mac/PC) down the road (when the tech gets better). Doesn't appear Apple is remotely interested in VR though - although with all the possibilities (remote workspaces etc.), setting up a VR universe (for it all to run through) with privacy etc. built in, I still wish Apple would do that too. Instead we have Facebook controlling that future (Oculus)...as I think we'll have both AR and VR as the tech gets better for different needs. JMHO...

Last edited:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This is most likely but I believe the phone will be more like a cpu by then. Doing the heavy data crunching and storage. Watch, Airpods and Glasses will be your I/O.

If computer history has taught us anything, it's that the computing power of today will eventually fit into impossibly small enclosures tomorrow. Nobody could have imagined how quickly we'd be carrying supercomputers in our pockets when far less powered computers used to take up an entire room.

Your Watch will become your most personal computer. It'll always be on your wrist and will contain the computing power for optional accessories like augmented reality glasses, AirPods and the large displays around you that can be leveraged with AirPlay.

Pocketable tablet like devices will continue to exist but they too will be optional. Your main computer will be on your wrist and you'll interact with it with natural voice conversations.

That's where the Apple Watch is going and why it's such a significant piece of Apple's strategy that many are still under appreciating because it's still getting started.

Reactions: stanman64

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Good that Apple is dong sine sort of "fashionable" glasses.

I guess, Apple's always been about your phone being the 'hub' and everything else interacts with it, so going off at a tangent with VR and glasses would be going 'out of character..' if it didn't use the phone at all

I always imaged some sort of what Elton John wears. That would really stand out.. I could image walking down the street struntin' me stuff. :cool:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I guarantee Angela Ahrendts has been embedded with the design and engineering teams making sure these are a fashion item.

Indeed. It's no mistake that Apple's retail strategy has pivoted towards those used in the high end fashion industry and why Aherendts is leading it. Apple has always differentiated itself by being tech with beautiful design. The future of computers is wearable and that fits Apple just perfectly.

Watch. AirPods. Glasses. Apple's future focused lineup is starting to look very much like that of a wearable company and fashion plays a critical part in what you wear.

Reactions: dabirdwell

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
glasses that feature 3D camera but no screens, making the iPhone the main display

So whats the point then? Why are these different from normal glasses?
[doublepost=1501880015][/doublepost]You have a camera on the glasses just to see what you see on the iphone display? How is this not dumb?
It's completely moron-tech. If this is true, we are wearing glasses to just have a camera... wtf????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.