Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I don't see any significant proof of this anywhere. It does make any sense for Apple to make the switch. Apple has really pushed developers to make OSX PPC apps. Now that that they've done this, they have to turn around and re-make Mac apps for an X86 processor?

Now, consider this....

What if Intel made a PPC chip? Rumors if true, are usually only partially true. In other words, they were correct, but didn't quite get the rumor 100% correct. So if Intel designed a PPC processor for Apple (and possibly Sony and Microsoft down the road for their video game boxes) then this wouldn't be so much of a problem.

I'm pretty damn sure that Apple has a version Mac OS X.3 and probably Mac OS X.4 for an x86 processor. They might just need cleaning up, but I'm they're already to go and could probably even ship within the next month or two if absolutely needed.

I still think this is purely a rumor, and one that most likely isn't true. But, never underestimate Steve Jobs if you piss him off.....

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, I subscribe to C|Net and just got this article in my email. It's really scary that a relatively reputable site is posting stuff like this.

mklos said:
Now, consider this....

What if Intel made a PPC chip?

This is much more likely. I wouldn't mind at all if Apple did this. The competition might give IBM the nudge it needs to start developing faster.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
One can only hope that, if he is to announce an x86-based Mac at WWDC, Steve has a kevlar vest underneath that black sweater.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yes, it's true... :rolleyes:

That moron Dvorak announced Apple should do it 10 years ago, and I think he wrote tons of articles on it.

If you are this gullible... can I interest you in some genuine alien artifacts that I have morphed into rocks to hide them from the govt?

Only $100 and include a certificate of authenticity signed by Mork.

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
Sun Baked said:
Yes, it's true... :rolleyes:

That moron Dvorak announced Apple should do it 10 years ago, and I think he wrote tons of articles on it.

If you are this gullible... can I interest you in some genuine alien artifacts that I have morphed into rocks to hide them from the govt?

This is completely uncalled for ... do you not realize what site this is? X_X

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
yeah but it'll be customized x86 proc.. or at least i hope.. its not like u will be able to put tiger on ur chepo dell.. yet... :(

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Tamer Brad said:
This is completely uncalled for ... do you not realize what site this is? X_X
Yes, a site that often posts a bunch of crappy speculative Apple articles along with everyone else.

Doesn't make it true.

We got these same articles when Apple started purchasing a bunch of AMD MIPS chips.

There are a lot more likely reasons for Apple to buy Intel chips or to even work with Intel, including a switch from the current AMD MIPS units they have been using in Apple products for a number of years.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Sun Baked said:
There are a lot more likely reasons for Apple to buy Intel chips or to even work with Intel, including a switch from the current AMD x86 units the have been using in Apple products for a number of years.

I didn't know this. What do they use AMDs for?

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
Sun Baked said:
Yes, a site that often posts a bunch of crappy speculative Apple articles along with everyone else.

Doesn't make it true.

We got these same articles when Apple started purchasing a bunch of AMD x86 chips.

There are a lot more likely reasons for Apple to buy Intel chips or to even work with Intel, including a switch from the current AMD x86 units the have been using in Apple products for a number of years.

I completely understand that the news could be fake, but I think acting like someone's an idiot for believing something from news.com is a bit too far ...

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Tamer Brad said:
I completely understand that the news could be fake, but I think acting like someone's an idiot for believing something from news.com is a bit too far ...
Who did I call that...

I called people who fall for this gullible.

BTW, Dvorak is a moron (which is the general feeling around here about this scum sucking apple bashing writer).

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
mad jew said:
I didn't know this. What do they use AMDs for?

AirPort bases. I don't know whether they still do, but there are Extreme base stations out there with AMD chips in them.

*Y*

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2004
VA
brap said:
One can only hope that, if he is to announce an x86-based Mac at WWDC, Steve has a kevlar vest underneath that black sweater.

Thank you for making my day! :D

zakatov

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
South Florida
Now if they switched, would Macs be able to run any x86 app? If they could, then there's no need to optimize anything (except the OS itself) on the software side, right?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
mad jew said:
Wow, cool thanks. So Intels in the Xserves and AMDs in the Airports.
Looked again, it's a AMD 200/333 MHz MIPS risc unit in the base stations, some of the sites recently kept saying x86 -- so that stuck in my mind, I looked at the teardown to double check.

In general Intel would probably like to get Apple to switch to their competing unit.

dodonutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2004
Deep South UK
Have a feeling there would be an uprising against jobs if he wanted to run OSX on x86 chips...correct me if im wrong but wouldn't that mean and tom dick or harry could slap OSX straight into there cheap dell box effectively bypassing the decision jobs made to not license Mac OS to other manufacturers?

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Not to start an argument, but if is it all about the software, as we have told PC users for years, does it really matter if it runs on a Intel CPU?

I am not fan of Intel as I use only AMDs in my PCs, but if the rumors are true, then Apple will have a better supplier with more fab plants, more production capacity - and hopefully better prices. That should make Macs more affordable for everyone - and that is a good thing.

Really.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
emaja said:
Not to start an argument, but if is it all about the software, as we have told PC users for years, does it really matter if it runs on a Intel CPU?
Actually it isn't about the CPU, it's about development dollars and MicroSoft. Two things Apple doesn't want to mess with.

OS/2 died because it was darn easy for people in charge to cut OS/2 from development and put the money into Wintel, and not lose a customer -- at the time you could run Window apps in OS/2.

If Apple switches to Intel, they may find a mass exodus of development dollars... unless they announce a Cocoa-only for x86 initiative.

Heck they could even make it run Cocoa inside Windows, and not shoot themselves in the foot.

Moving the full Mac OS to Intel, will put them into direct competition with Windows -- which is a bad thing.

---

We'll see Monday, but these guys aren't generally the most accurate in the world when it comes to Apple scoops. :rolleyes:

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I'm sorry for those who think this is a bad decision but unless IBM can deliver Apple needs to do this for its long term viability.

If (and a big 'IF') Apple migrates to Intel before Longhorn is released this would pose serious compteition to MS for the desktop platform. I think, as far as workstations are concerned, OSX is by far the superior product.

Going Intel does not mean that any x86 system will be able to Install OSX

Imagine Apple no longer a niche player but a real force with a Kick Ass OS that no one else has access to paying the same price for processors as Dell, HP etc.

Hmm what would I pick, Windows on Intel or OSX on Intel....!!!! (sarcasm intended).

I also see powerbook revisions being more likely to switch to centrino type platforms, there is no way that G5 is getting in a powerbook anytime soon.

This is going to be a long weekend for Mac fans.

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
There's good reason to believe this. Someone from IBM basically confirmed to me a few weeks back that something like this was up.

Good riddance if it is true. IBM suck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.