Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In one week, Apple will host a media event in California focused mainly on details about its upcoming TV streaming service. This week, The New York Times published a report about the state of a few shows on the service, hinting at which ones might be available at launch, the issues some partners have with Apple's plans, and more.

jurassic-world-2-apple-tv-image.jpg

According to the story, around 11 projects have either completed filming or are nearing the end of filming, meaning they are the likeliest to appear in the "first wave" of shows on Apple's service. While we'll get the first glimpse at Apple's streaming service next week, the full service isn't expected to launch until later in the year.

Shows that have finished shooting include "Are You Sleeping?" starring Octavia Spencer; Ronald D. Moore's "For All Mankind"; M. Night Shyamalan's thriller series; Charlie Day and Rob McElhenney's unnamed comedy; and "Dickinson" starring Hailee Steinfeld. Looking forward, the number of original Apple productions is expected to increase in 2020.

Apple is said to be using this event to show customers "just how many shows [it] has pulled together," and that its streaming service will be worth checking out at launch. Combined with content purchased from third parties, Apple's offering could put it on par with the size of Hulu, Showtime, or FX, according to The New York Times. Previous rumors have suggested the launch lineup would be predominantly third party content.

More than a dozen people who have had dealings with Apple's TV service did reference concerns about the project in this week's report. Many working with Apple have received "little or no information" regarding the time frame of their shows' release dates, other than vague statements like "later this year, probably fall." Apple has also not divulged marketing plans to its partners.
Apple's entertainment team has not been totally opaque. It has provided feedback to individuals involved in the shows, but it has been tight-lipped about the marketing and rollout plans. The March 25 event may allay Hollywood's concerns, but several people involved in the new programs have interpreted the lack of communication as a sign that there may not be a clear game plan.
Apple has also reportedly been "squeamish" when it comes to the portrayal of its own technology in the shows. The company is said to ask specific questions about how iPhones or MacBooks will be used, suggesting that they prefer them to be seen in positive situations.

Apple's "It's Show Time" event will kick off on Monday, March 25 at the Steve Jobs Theater on the Apple Park Campus in California. As with most Apple events, it will start at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time or 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time. The event is also expected to include the unveiling of its expanded Apple News service.

Article Link: Apple Has Wrapped Filming on Five Original TV Shows Ahead of Streaming Service Launch

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I am interested to see what they come out with. I will give it a try before signing on long term, but I think Apple has the funds to create a compelling product. Hire the best writers, directors, and actors and we should get some great content.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
I agree. Already Disney streaming is going to gut a bunch of other services. CBS has all access. Hulu and other services have original content. There is none one service that has it all. We have gone from overpaying one cable company to paying for several different providers. I went from paying nothing (used only broadcast tv) to Netflix and amazon prime.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
We'll actually get to see the finished product after all this news about this show and that show that Apple is currently working on.

Being that my wife and I already subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, DTV Now and HBO, I would be hard pressed to add another video streaming service to our bills. But I'll keep an open mind to see what Apple comes out with.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
Whatever shows Apple is coming out with will have to be very appealing for potential customers to consider signing up. In addition, once the series starts broadcasting, it needs to capture the viewer's interest in continuing to watch future episodes. Essentially, Apple is coming out with pilot shows and we have seen some not lasting past the 1st or 2nd season. I want to reiterate if you can only watch through Apple's ecosystem, the shows need to be very appealing and interesting. Their marketing department is going to have to work hard with advertisement to get the info out there.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
If it's a bunch of PG shows with violence, language, sex, and other adult subject manners scrubbed clean for family audiences, then no thanks. Did Apple look at the success of Game of Thrones and think, "Yeah, this show is good, but it would be a much bigger hit without all the sex and blood"?

Reactions: Teammm and Stargher

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I'm not really interested. Already have Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, and cable TV... it's already too much to handle!
This is the exact reason I don't think it will be successful. I believe the majority of people feel this way and don't want anymore stuff to have to subscribe to. Especially when people are already paying ridiculous prices for their other products already.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
Am so bored with this. Why do this Apple. We want good hardware. Good keyboards. More RAM. Re-designed iPad minis. And yes maybe music. You're neglecting your hardware for TV services, which we know others will always get better.

A bunch of famous people on stage saying how "Amazing" or "Beautiful" or "Incredible" it is won't do it.

Bornee35

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Canada
This is the exact reason I don't think it will be successful. I believe the majority of people feel this way and don't want anymore stuff to have to subscribe to. Especially when people are already paying ridiculous prices for their other products already.
Exactly. A lot of people cut the cord on cable/satellite for overpaying on what they actually wanted. Went to a centralized Netflix. Now the companies are decentralizing online streaming to resemble cable packages again.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Exactly. A lot of people cut the cord on cable/satellite for overpaying on what they actually wanted. Went to a centralized Netflix. Now the companies are decentralizing online streaming to resemble cable packages again.
And the only reason they are willing to do so is because the companies have media brands that are proven. I actually just saved money buy dropping my Hulu account and changing my Spotify Account to the 9.99 tier because it includes Hulu now. Why choose to pay an Apple music sub and TV Movie media sub when there is a more attractive package.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
It’s OK folks will just share their logins for all these streaming services and kee their cost down.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
About the best and polite comment I can make about Apple's upcoming shows and service is: Meh! You can wrap up a dog poop in pretty paper with a bow on it, but it is still just a piece of nasty dog poop. Affordable live TV or it doesn't matter to me. Independent TV shows come and go, but they never sway me toward one provider over another because so few of them ever make my watch list.

Classie

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018
Sweden
Sure the content is important... but I’m more excited to see the software and integration between hardware. This is where Apple have more experience and can offer something unique.

Ncrit

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
If it is not worldwide, I don't care. I am not looking forward on waiting 20+ years for this content to show up in my country...
You are absolutely right. Here in Thailand we are still waiting for Apple Pay how
Many years since this was announced?

Duel

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Sounds interesting, so far haven't found any video service which i would pay for. I've been trying many choices, but cancelled them after free trial. Apple advantage is that it's fresh with new material and if Apple offers free trial and people like it, it won't be hard to get new users.

I already see movies and series what i want to see.

Apple have all the money to make it as big as they want.

xkilgannonx

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2019
I understand the push for original content, but I don’t care that much. Let me pay a flat price like Apple Music and let me stream all the shows / movies on iTunes AND add that original content in there.

You’ll get a lot of adopters real fast then!

nerdrage

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2018
The way streaming is going, there are two paths to success: already be ensconced globally (Netflix, Amazon) or have big brands to tout and get attention (Disney, AT&T). If Apple wants to horn in, they better do the latter and that means buying any brands that are still owned by companies like CBS and Comcast that aren't going to make it in streaming. Trouble is, they might not sell until reality finally sinks in. Could take a while.

teejaysplace24

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2007
Los Angeles, California
I agree. Already Disney streaming is going to gut a bunch of other services. CBS has all access. Hulu and other services have original content. There is none one service that has it all. We have gone from overpaying one cable company to paying for several different providers. I went from paying nothing (used only broadcast tv) to Netflix and amazon prime.

As of this week, Disney and Hulu are now effectively the same thing, with the former owning a 70% interest in the latter. I'm honestly surprised the FCC has allowed this part of the sale to go through, given the leverage it gives the Mouse. You almost feel like Hulu's days are numbered seeing as the move is toward walled Studio gardens with exclusive content.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Already have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, DC (will let it lapse in Dec), and CBSAA. The ONLY future streaming service I will sign up for is Disney+. Sorry, but won’t even consider Apple’s service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.