Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the promised "early 2018" launch of the HomePod, Apple has received official FCC approval for the smart speaker. Now that FCC approval has been obtained, Apple is free to begin selling the device at any time.

All devices that use communications technologies like Bluetooth and Wi-Fi must be submitted to the United States Federal Communications Commission to ensure compliance with federal regulations before they're eligible to be sold in the United States. That FCC approval has been obtained suggests the HomePod will launch in the near future.

fcclabel.jpg

For comparison's sake, Apple received FCC approval for the iPhone X on October 4, just under one month before the device was released to the public on November 3.

Today's FCC clearance of the HomePod follows a rumor earlier this week suggesting HomePod supplier Inventec has already started shipping HomePod units to Apple. Apple is reportedly set to receive "about 1 million" HomePod devices and an industry source that spoke to the Taipei Times, the source of the rumor, has said that the HomePod is coming "soon."

Apple originally planned to release the HomePod in December, but the company ended up requiring additional development time, delaying its debut until 2018. Apple has said the HomePod will ship out to customers in the US, UK, and Australia in "early 2018."

HomePod-on-shelf-800x451-800x451.jpg

Early 2018, by Apple's historical definition, is something of a broad window. Apple considers "early 2018" to be the period between January and April, so it's been tough to narrow down the prospective launch date of the HomePod. Given the shipment rumors and the FCC approval, however, we may see the device in late January or early February rather than later in the year.

Like many new Apple products, rumors suggest initial supplies of the HomePod could be constrained at launch. Inventec is expecting revenue from the HomePod to be "limited" during Q1 2018 due to a low quantity of HomePod devices available for shipment.

Article Link: Apple Receives FCC Approval for HomePod, Suggesting a Launch Could Come Soon

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm excited for the HomePod, but it's going to be a whipping boy for years to come. It'll sell about the same as the Apple TV and be considered a failure.

Others will chastise the HomePod and consider it a failure on a tech forum (Which is likely those negatively commenting who will never own one or have experience with it), but overall, I think the HomePod is going to Be for those really do want more than just a smart speaker, the want room filling audio, which would you expect a product from Apple at this price range. I think it will do well, even given the delay.

Last edited:

Newton1600

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2018
They need to add Atmos or at least 5.1 simulated surround sound not just stereo so that with enough of these you can do true wireless surround sound. Expensive yes but less expensive then rewiring your house for maybe people

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Will be buying a couple ASAP.

I agree buying 2 makes sense. I’ll do the same. It is supposed to sound better with 2. I’m very old fashioned when it comes to this. Of course you don’t have to buy 2. But it will be better with 2. It even says so on their webpage https://www.apple.com/homepod/

Two in one room. They play off each other. Put another HomePod in the same room, and the two automatically detect and balance each other — for sound that’s even more lifelike.”

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
I regularly use my TV to play music through the Apple TV, it sucks, especially after using nice headphones while commuting and desktop speakers when in my home office so I'd really like one or two of these.
Though Apple is pissing me off a bit lately so I'm not sure I'll be a launch day buyer and should probably do some competitive research first as well.

Reactions: 5105973

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Exciting! Looking forward to buying one soon : )
(And from a purely cosmetic angle, I'm still undecided as to which colour way I like best / will look best interior-design -wise…)

ClockWork72

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2016
Los Angeles

Ahead of the promised "early 2018" launch of the HomePod, Apple has received official FCC approval for the smart speaker. Now that FCC approval has been obtained, Apple is free to begin selling the device at any time.

All devices that use communications technologies like Bluetooth and Wi-Fi must be submitted to the United States Federal Communications Commission to ensure compliance with federal regulations before they're eligible to be sold in the United States. That FCC approval has been obtained suggests the HomePod will launch in the near future.

fcclabel.jpg

For comparison's sake, Apple received FCC approval for the iPhone X on October 4, just under one month before the device was released to the public on November 3.

Today's FCC clearance of the HomePod follows a rumor earlier this week suggesting HomePod supplier Inventec has already started shipping HomePod units to Apple. Apple is reportedly set to receive "about 1 million" HomePod devices and an industry source that spoke to the Taipei Times, the source of the rumor, has said that the HomePod is coming "soon."

Apple originally planned to release the HomePod in December, but the company ended up requiring additional development time, delaying its debut until 2018. Apple has said the HomePod will ship out to customers in the US, UK, and Australia in "early 2018."

HomePod-on-shelf-800x451-800x451.jpg

Early 2018, by Apple's historical definition, is something of a broad window. Apple considers "early 2018" to be the period between January and April, so it's been tough to narrow down the prospective launch date of the HomePod. Given the shipment rumors and the FCC approval, however, we may see the device in late January or early February rather than later in the year.

Like many new Apple products, rumors suggest initial supplies of the HomePod could be constrained at launch. Inventec is expecting revenue from the HomePod to be "limited" during Q1 2018 due to a low quantity of HomePod devices available for shipment.

Article Link: Apple Receives FCC Approval for HomePod, Suggesting a Launch Could Come Soon

Still kinda Neutral on this one going to wait and see what everyone says first especially since I already have a few echos.

Reactions: 5105973

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
zzzzzzz. Who cares? They're so late to market there's no hope of overtaking Amazon or Google. Especially at that price point. Yeah, a few people will buy them, but like someone above said, it's too little too late.

People not equipped with wireless speakers yet may chose them. Others will replace existing ones at a certain point in time and will pick whatever product. It’s never too late. Following your logic nothing at all would be bought anymore. Concerning the price point and sound quality, they aim at Sonos and other quality speakers, not at Amazon‘s Echo. That’s for sure.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
I do look forward to some Apple Alexa. Hope the sound is up to it as I wouldn’t mind not having turn on the ATV and full home theater for audio. Casual listening combined with voice command and HomeKit is most welcome.

Reactions: orbital~debris

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a $350 "hobby" from Apple.
It already feels like it. At the current price and limitations, it's hard to see it gaining much traction as a mainstream product. It's basically useless for home theater as well (in both form and function), which today is arguably more important to people than music.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
After the iPod Hi-Fi was discontinued, I think Apple had the best solution on the market at the time with the Airport Express and AirTunes, as they called it. I still use it every day. It's so easy from the drop down volume menu of my Mac to select my speakers and use it with any streaming service, web page, etc. It was (and is . . . though no longer updated) the ChromeCast of audio. The solution is good enough that I have no reason to consider a HomePod.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I want to like it. Maybe my tinfoil hat is a little too tight but I have not warmed up to having the government listen to my endless blaring of the Russian national anthem playing 24/7 while sipping vodka.

Jokes aside; I could use a good speaker for my room. I have a JBL one right now that I use but at $350 it would need to really sound great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.