Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

R_Ju2ljg-250x250.jpg
Apple today sent out an email to developers announcing App Store pricing increases in Denmark, Mexico, and all territories that use the Euro currency. The new pricing changes will go into effect before the end of next week, with Apple citing changes in foreign exchange rates as the reason behind the price hike.
Due to foreign exchange rate changes, prices for apps and in-app purchases (excluding auto-renewable subscriptions) will increase in Denmark, Mexico, and all territories that use the Euro currency in the next 7 days. Auto-renewable subscription prices will not be affected. You can change the price of your subscription at any time in iTunes Connect with the option to preserve prices for existing subscribers.
French site iPhoneAddict has shared a chart listing the new pricing tiers in Austria, Bulgaria, Estonia, France, and Slovakia. In those countries, app pricing will now start at 1.09 euros, up from 0.99 euros. Similar pricing increases will be seen in the other affected countries.

euroappstorepricing-800x548.jpg

Along with the App Store price change, Apple has announced that a value added tax (VAT) rate of five percent will go into effect for customers in Taiwan starting on May 1, 2017. Apps and in-app purchases will be affected.
On May 1, 2017, a value added tax (VAT) rate of 5% will go into effect for customers in Taiwan buying apps and in-app purchases. We will administer the collection of taxes from customers and the remittance of taxes to the appropriate tax authority in Taiwan. Your proceeds will be reduced accordingly, and will be calculated based on the tax exclusive price.
Apple's App Store price hike in Denmark, Mexico, and countries that use the Euro comes just a few days after Apple announced a significant decrease in its affiliate program commission rate. Sites linking to the App Store used to receive a 7 percent cut when someone purchased an app, but that number will drop to 2.5 percent next week, impacting many websites that rely on App Store commissions.

Article Link: Apple Increases App Store Pricing in Mexico, Denmark, and Countries That Use the Euro

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Nice double dip.

I'm sure they will readjust these prices once Trump has adjusted USD against EUR differently, even though our own central bank is hard at work keeping the money as cheap as possible.

Good old race to the bottom.

Reminds me of the bright future of bitcoin to be honest though.

Glassed Silver:mac

Reactions: Glideslope

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I had no idea that México uses the Euro.
This is why the Oxford Comma is important.

We don't normally use the oxford comma in headlines, and I didn't think this one was unclear at all, but I've gone ahead and added it just so there's zero confusion.

Reactions: BulkSlash

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Cutting the commissions from 7% to 2.5% is a bummer -- especially when they provided no reason why this happened. As MacStories noted, this squeezes both the websites that research/promote good apps and the developers, who can sometimes refer users to their app to get a bit more extra money. Apple should have a good reason for doing this -- and they failed to provide any explanation in their announcement.

This does not appear to be supportive of developers -- unless Apple is going to re-assign some funds to some other program. I've seen no speculation on why they cut commissions so dramatically.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
"will increase in Denmark, Mexico, and all territories that use the Euro currency"
"And all territories that use the Euro currency" doesn't mean that Denmark or Mexico use the euro. It's saying in addition to Euro countries it also includes non-euros Mexico and Europe.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
*exchange rate makes euro worth less* We have to increase the price of everything!
*exchange rate makes euro worth more* Decreasing the price? In your dreams!!!

What else do you expect? Apple has never been about giving anything back to its customers, so they'll use any excuse to raise prices, along with all their cost cutting they must be doing very well.

Reactions: Naraxus

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
Cutting the commissions from 7% to 2.5% is a bummer -- especially when they provided no reason why this happened. As MacStories noted, this squeezes both the websites that research/promote good apps and the developers, who can sometimes refer users to their app to get a bit more extra money. Apple should have a good reason for doing this -- and they failed to provide any explanation in their announcement.

This does not appear to be supportive of developers -- unless Apple is going to re-assign some funds to some other program. I've seen no speculation on why they cut commissions so dramatically.
nothing to explain, Apple wants the Service division to go up and probably ran the numbers and that's an easy one for them since it doesn't affect users or the 30% percent they are already paying developers (which many of them are already double dipping)

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Well, at least is just the App Store and not the iTunes Store, $15 MXN for a song is already too much.

Audigy

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
I am baffled it took them so long...

In US you pay $0.99 + state VAT, but in EUR the 0.99€ price already includes the VAT due to legislation.

So for Apple+devs $0.99 equals the same, but 0.99€ equals just 0.79€(considering 20% VAT, but in EUR currency countries you have ranges from 18 to 24%).

0.79€ in USD = $0.86, so they are receiving less in EUR currency.

Reactions: prasand

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
This is bad for developers.

Prices ending with .99 worked well because it looked cheaper to the costumer.

This looks more expensive than what it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.