Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A pair of reports today from Patently Apple reveal newly-published patent applications from Apple describing the company's work on advancing input systems for its Macs, showing off concepts for a multi-touch display embedded on the Magic Mouse and virtual keyboards with tactile feedback.

According to the first report, Apple's patent application entitled "Computer Input Device Including a Display Device" demonstrates how Apple could embed a multi-touch display on top of the company's existing multi-touch Magic Mouse, bringing new functionality to the input device.

115639-mighty_mouse_virtual_keypad.jpg

Mighty Mouse with virtual number keypad
In one prominent example of the technology, Apple shows a virtual number keypad displayed on an Apple mouse very close in appearance to the company's Mighty Mouse that was shipping at the time of the patent application filing, allowing for easy data entry without the user needing to remove his or her hand from the mouse.

Apple discusses several options for how the display technology could be employed, but focuses primarily on using "collimated glass" fibers extending through the entire body of the mouse. Images to be displayed could be stored within the mouse itself, transmitted from a computer, or even simply be a magnified version of text or images located underneath the mouse.

In its second report, Patently Apple points to an Apple patent application entitled "Method and Apparatus for Localization of Haptic Feedback", which describes the use of a virtual keyboard with mechanical actuators to allow the device to provide tactile feedback when keys are activated.

115638-imac_virtual_haptic_keyboard_500.jpg

iMac with virtual keyboard (left); Layout of actuators for haptic feedback (right)
In particular, Apple discusses means of improving the localization of such haptic response to key activation, seeking to create a better user experience than that available through current haptic feedback input devices that typically vibrate the entire input surface upon key activation, a mechanism that is particularly troubling for multi-touch based systems. Apple's proposed system includes a significant number of actuators embedded under the display in locations where users are expected to engage key presses, combining those actuators with methods for suppressing the propagation of vibrations to keep them localized to the region of the key activation.

Such systems could lead to new virtual keyboards offering the flexibility of key layouts easily customized to the task at hand and yet retaining many of the benefits of current mechanical keyboards when it comes to tactile registration of keystrokes.

Article Link: Apple Investigating Multi-Touch Display for Magic Mouse, Haptic Feedback for Virtual Keyboards?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
mighty mouse maybe...
magic mouse way to tricky with the scrolls as it is.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
True numbers wonks need real numbers keys for quick accounting work. The touch screen numbers pad would be a disaster.

Why can't Apple just make a 5 button mouse? Seriously. Once you have 5 buttons, you'll never go back.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
That'd be great! For any engineers or designers or I suppose accountants too, where half or more of your typing is on the number keypad, being able to mouse and clack away simultaneously would be a big plus.

Even beyond that, being able to feel the center of virtual keys to keep your fingers located could finally allow touch typing to progress from having to type while looking at your keyboard to being able to type looking at your screen or source material, & ultimately the elimination of physical keyboards.

That'll be huge if they can get it to work.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
I recently inherited an HTC G1 phone and it has haptic feedback on the virtual keyboard. Love it. Although I'm going to be going to Verizon now that my contract with T-mobile is up. Nothing against t-mobile but i want the iphone at $200. (Com'on Apple...)

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
I like to use the iPad as my all-in-one solution for a mouse/keyboard. My comp. is connected to my tv and I can do anything I have to remotely in comfort. I like everything to be unified into one, that's how it's set up and that's how it shall remain.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
I like to use the iPad as my all-in-one solution for a mouse/keyboard. My comp. is connected to my tv and I can do anything I have to remotely in comfort. I like everything to be unified into one, that's how it's set up and that's how it shall remain.

wow true, the iPad with the app t use it as a touchpad, you have an even bigger "magic trackpad". sounds pretty awsome!

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
There's nothing like the good old tactile feedback one gets from a numeric keypad with moving buttons.

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would love to be able to customize my keyboard layout!

netvvork

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
does this mean that my existing useless piece of crap magic mouse can be upgraded or do i need to buy another one?:rolleyes:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Apple blasts out wild and crazy patents and a rapid rate. Most never see the light. But that constant innovation and creative thinking does lead to the real-world ideas we know and love! (And protects Apple if some competitor wants to use one of those ideas some day: Apple can stop them or charge them. So it’s useful to patent unused ideas—maybe like this one—that are similar to ones Apple actually uses. It makes it less easy for competitors to follow the path Apple cleared.)

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does it seem like Apple is currently researching about everything there is to do with computers.

I wonder how other companies compare to Apple when it comes to R&D.

Apple certainly don't rest on their laurels after releasing a hit product.

I'm looking at you Motorola.

alt

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Gross...No thanks. There is no way this design WOULDN'T be obnoxious to use.....they will never release this I guarantee it.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
The NumPad on the Mighty Mouse seriously explains why the heck apple hasn't released a Wireless Full Keyboard in years...

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
i'd love to use my iphone as a magic mouse :) it's usable as a trackpad atm, but what about a mouse using the accelerometer or whatever?

No, it isn't.

The Magic Trackpad with frosted glass and no friction, makes for a great trackpad, whereas the iPhone is regular glass with lots of friction. NOT a good trackpad.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
There's nothing like the good old tactile feedback one gets from a numeric keypad with moving buttons.

Old is the key word. We can do better. There's nothing "good" about it, aside from being extremely used to it.

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
Maybe there is something more to the $3.9Billion Apple invested in display technology.Display based keyboards and magic trackpads would be very cool.
They could change to fit the need of the user on a contextual basis. Would make for more efficient use. Not to mention a laptop that is even thinner than the air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.