Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As indicated yesterday, Apple today launched its annual Back to School promotion offering qualified educational purchasers an Apple Store gift card of $100 with the purchase of a new Mac or a $50 gift card with the purchase of an iPad or iPhone. This year marks the first time that Apple is giving out Apple Store gifts cards with purchases, as the company has usually offered iTunes Store/App Store/iBookstore gift cards in years past.

apple_bts_2014-800x341.png
Get a $100 Apple Store Gift Card when you buy a Mac for college. Or a $50 gift card when you buy an iPad or iPhone.* You'll also save on a Mac or iPad with education pricing.
Eligible devices include all Macs except the Mac mini, all iPads (fourth-generation, iPad Air, iPad mini with Retina Display, iPad mini), and all iPhones (5s, 5c, and 4s). The full eligibility requirements for the program can be found in Apple's terms and conditions (PDF).

apple_store_graphics_june14.jpg
New Apple Store graphics (Image Credit: IFOAppleStore)​
Apple has also updated its in-store graphics at its various locations, with IFOAppleStore noting that the photography style of the newer images used are richer and darker than the previous ones. The new graphics are also said to be based on the recent "Your Verse" iPad ads which featured music composer Esa-Pekka Salonen and travel blogger Chérie King.

Apple's Back to School promotion runs from today through September 9 and is available in the United States. The program is expected to also be made available in Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

Update: For those purchasing through authorized campus stores, Apple is offering the traditional iTunes/App/iBooks Store gift card rather than an Apple retail/online store gift card.

Article Link: Apple Launches 2014 'Back to School' Promotion with Apple Store Gift Cards Up to $100

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
I remember when the Back to School promotion got me a free iPod... and had so much more value!

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I remember when the Back to School promotion got me a free iPod... and had so much more value!

At this point if you don't already have an iPod of any kind message me and I will let you pick one out of my drawer because I've lost count of how many iPods I have, I don't need any more.

Seriously though, I'd rather get the $100 in store credit because I need a new router.

Only iPod option < $100 towards anything else

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Why was the Mac mini so specifically excluded. Weird...
Because it's a cheaper device with less dollars in profit most likely. Though considering the age of the current Mini they should be making a fair bit on it now.

They always exclude the Mini from this promotion.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
All I can say is this to everyone tempted by this offer......

DO NOT BUY!!!! I REPEAT, DO NOT BUY!!!! WAIT TILL THIS FALL AFTER THE PROMO.

Why?!?! Of course, new iPods, iPhones and iPads this fall. And another MacBook Pro refresh.

Trust me, owning new device is much better than getting $100 in gift card as return.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009

Why?!?! Of course, new iPods, iPhones and iPads this fall. And another MacBook Pro refresh.

Trust me, owning new device is much better than getting $100 in gift card as return.

$100 isn't worth an imperceptibly faster processor in a MacBook Pro to me, and probably isn't to most people, to be honest.

uofawildcats96

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2009

Waiting until the fall (most likely October for Macs) is simply not reasonable, when most colleges start in mid-August.

uofawildcats96

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2009
So you can't use it on apps, but can you use it on the Mac that you are now purchasing? Or is it only to be used on a future purchase?

Future purchase, however, I assume you could use it to purchase an $100 iTunes gift card to use to on apps, if you wanted.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Well seeing as you get a steep discount through education (in the UK, it's 15% off a new Mac & free 3-year warranty), combining this already excellent deal with a giftcard is certainly tempting. And waiting for a small spec bump wouldn't be the deciding factor IMHO.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
DO NOT BUY!!!! I REPEAT, DO NOT BUY!!!! WAIT TILL THIS FALL AFTER THE PROMO. Why?!?! Of course, new iPods, iPhones and iPads this fall. And another MacBook Pro refresh. Trust me, owning new device is much better than getting $100 in gift card as return.

That may make sense to you and I, but firstly students like to get ready with their computing needs well before the start of the academic year, and additionally, with burdensome tuition loans and various other expenses incurred by most students, for many this $50-$100 gift card promotion is too attractive to pass up.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
My first MacBook pro back in 2009 was $100.00 off with the educational discount, plus I got a second gen. iPod touch to boot. Even though here in Canada we pay a little more through the online store, this was still a decent deal. :)

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
I love the decision to go back to Apple Store Cards. They can be redeemed for iTunes cards if one prefers that over physical purchases as well so everyone's happy. Hopefully they'll stick with it for years to come.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
That's such a terrible value, wow. The MacBook Air for example could have been had for 3 times that discount like a month ago.

imm22

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Portugal
No new produtc, that was not expected.
Do you think that after this they could make a refresh on the rMBP in the coming days?

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Hmm... I wonder if this would be more enticing if you could actually use that $100 GC for that purchase, on top of the educational pricing! Yeah, I know it won't make sense profit-wise for Apple since that GC would guarantee a repeat buy and more money for Apple. But, hey, it's a nice thought for the consumer. :D

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
I wish that they did the $100 Apple Store gift card last year instead of the $100 iTunes gift card.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

DO NOT BUY!!!! I REPEAT, DO NOT BUY!!!! WAIT TILL THIS FALL AFTER THE PROMO. .

People actually need to buy stuff for school, its not feasible to tell them to wait until late Q4 or even Q5 for a new Mac - makes no sense.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Why was the Mac mini so specifically excluded. Weird...

It is every year because it is cheaper than all other Macs.

----------

It's already up in Canada too. $110 GC with Macs and $55 with iPad/iPhone. I'll be canceling my recent iPhone order from a few days back if I can.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Let's see...

Go to an Apple store and pay full price for computer. Get $100 Store gift card.
or
Go to Best Buy, B&H, etc. and get discounts worth more than $100.
All of them will B2S sales as well.

What to do, what to do...:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.