Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's annual "Back to School" promotion has returned to Australia and New Zealand, as spotted by 9to5Mac. The sale offers an Apple gift card worth between $25 to $100 to university students, students accepted to a university, parents buying for a university student and faculty that purchase a qualifying Mac, iPad or iPhone.

Apple-Back-to-School-AU-NZ-800x341.png
The list of qualifying products includes the MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac Pro, iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c. Eligible customers can combine the Back to School promotion with Apple Education Pricing for additional savings. The sale runs January 30 through March 19.

Apple holds a similar Back to School promotion in the United States during the summer months, offering Apple Store gift cards of equivalent amounts for new Mac, iPad and iPhone purchases. That sale typically runs from July through September and is also offered in Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

Article Link: Apple Launches Annual 'Back to School' Promotion in Australia and New Zealand

surfingarbo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
I wish I had a MacBook when I was in school. I carried around a chunky Dell 17" laptop that must have been 2" thick. Battery life lasted about 40 minutes on a good day!

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
They do these during the summer and it's summer in the Southern Hemisphere.

Indeed!

Also, MacRumors should have written their article better and not inferred that summer months are a US-only thing ("Apple holds a similar Back to School promotion in the United States during the summer months") or that 'summer' months are the same months everywhere.

In my experience, it seems common for Americans to have a generally US-centric worldview & insular attitudes. Think global! There's a whole planet out there.

Reactions: martyjmclean

FlamingFoxx

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
You are jealous?
The amount of times a product or service (particularly apple) isn't offered outside US...

Is there even an Apple retail store in NZ?

Nope. No Apple retail stores here. Just resellers who tend to be on the evil side...

FlamingFoxx

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
College students do. When you have seven weeks off around Christmas like my cousin, that's like going to school for the first time in a while.

But that's your winter break and it happens in the middle of the university school year. In NZ the beginning of the year is the beginning of the new school year...

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
Indeed!

Also, MacRumors should have written their article better and not inferred that summer months are a US-only thing ("Apple holds a similar Back to School promotion in the United States during the summer months") or that 'summer' months are the same months everywhere.

In my experience, it seems common for Americans to have a generally US-centric worldview & insular attitudes. Think global! There's a whole planet out there.

In fact better than 95% of the worlds population is NOT located in the USA.

----------

Thinks thats old, for one course I did I took my Kaypro 4 with me to class as I preferred the editor/assembler I had on that to the MSDOS3.3 ones

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

There's a reason for that. For most Americans, we don't travel outside the United States. Those along the border states do go to Canada or Mexico, but in general, most don't - the United States is so big and varied, and it's not simple to take a train or car to another country like it is in Europe. To us, STATES are things to visit / learn about, not COUNTRIES.

Sports? We don't generally compete with foreign countries. We're all state/city specific in our rivalries.

Weather? When snow-bound, we go to Florida, Southern California or Hawaii in the winter months.

Movies/TV? Everything we see is generally American. It's rare that a foreign movie is shown in a theater. Some things, like Japanese Anime is popular in some groups of people, but it's not the norm.

Travel overseas? Too expensive. We can't just hop on a train or take a drive in a car. And we don't get much vacation time in America.

For all these reasons, why learn about other countries? This is the general idea of Americans.

I've been to Europe, Asia and Africa myself. Visited about 30 countries. But I'm rare among Americans. Most Americans are impressed that I've visited 49 states vs. 30 countries.

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2014
There's a reason for that. For most Americans, we don't travel outside the United States. Those along the border states do go to Canada or Mexico, but in general, most don't - the United States is so big and varied, and it's not simple to take a train or car to another country like it is in Europe. To us, STATES are things to visit / learn about, not COUNTRIES.

Sports? We don't generally compete with foreign countries. We're all state/city specific in our rivalries.

Weather? When snow-bound, we go to Florida, Southern California or Hawaii in the winter months.

Movies/TV? Everything we see is generally American. It's rare that a foreign movie is shown in a theater. Some things, like Japanese Anime is popular in some groups of people, but it's not the norm.

Travel overseas? Too expensive. We can't just hop on a train or take a drive in a car. And we don't get much vacation time in America.

For all these reasons, why learn about other countries? This is the general idea of Americans.

I've been to Europe, Asia and Africa myself. Visited about 30 countries. But I'm rare among Americans. Most Americans are impressed that I've visited 49 states vs. 30 countries.

To be fair, you could argue some of theses points for New Zealand.

Sports are mainly with Australia.

Weather?
In places, you can be surfing or take a 2 hour drive and be on a ski field, snowboarding.

Overseas travel? New Zealand is (several) islands...
So no way to drive or hop on a train.
As for flights. It would cost about €2226 to two people to fly return from Wellington to London (about 30 hours of travel, each way. And 2 stops (most likely Australian, and someone in the middle, like Singapore)
Compared to maybe €1485? from Washington to London return (and maybe ..12hours(..?) of travel.)

Last edited:
Reactions: martyjmclean

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
That's a rook job. Americans get discounts on 9 month old stuff. Aussies get discounts on the new stuff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.