Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A few weeks out from Christmas, Apple has turned on nearly a dozen holiday-themed iTunes Radio stations that offer a variety of genres from sing-a-longs for kids to old seasonal classics.

The ten stations include: Children's Christmas Holiday Sing-Along, Country Holiday, Classical Holiday, Holiday Classics, Holiday Hits, Latin Holiday, Rockin' Holiday, Soulful Holiday, Swingin' Holiday and The Sounds of Christmas.

Photo-Dec-05-7-53-23-AM-800x710.png
Only a handful of the stations are readily available in the Featured Stations section on the front of the iTunes Radio tab, but all of them can be found with a quick search.

iTunes Match subscribers can listen to the stations ad-free, as per usual, but non-subscribers can expect occasional advertisements between songs.

The Christmas themed stations can be added to users' My Stations lists now, in iTunes on Mac and PC, and in the Music app on iOS. iTunes Radio remains available only in the United States and Australia, despite rumors of additional "early 2014" expansions.

Article Link: Apple Launches Ten Holiday-Themed iTunes Radio Stations

HackerJL

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009
Canada?

Being 15 minutes from the US border and not getting this is getting a little stupid. iTunes Match asked me for renewal earlier this week....wondering if thats worth another year. Come on Apple!

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Being 15 minutes from the US border and not getting this is getting a little stupid. iTunes Match asked me for renewal earlier this week....wondering if thats worth another year. Come on Apple!

Can't you just create a US Apple ID to listen to iTunes Radio?

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
the last thing anyone really needs to do is seek out Xmas music. is being inundated 24/7 everywhere by everybody not enough...?

HackerJL

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009
Can't you just create a US Apple ID to listen to iTunes Radio?

When my life is on the canadian iTunes, appletv's etc, its not super easy.

If I hand the remote to my wife and tell her if she wants to listen to iTunes radio, go, here, here and sign in with this username. And then if you want to listen to our stuff, go back and undo what you just did....results in a remote flying at my head.

This is apple, king of 'easy and streamlined', I should not have to jump through any hoops.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
12 Days of Christmas App

When do we get the annual 12 days of Christmas App? Which usually only has 2 or 3 actual worthwhile freebees? :)

oddnendz

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Raleigh, NC
the last thing anyone really needs to do is seek out Xmas music. is being inundated 24/7 everywhere by everybody not enough...?

no, there is never enough Christmas music.... and on Pandora and Spotify, you can get it 24/7, 365 days a year.... :p

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Too late, I say. I put my Christmas tree up the weekend following Thanksgiving every year, and that's really the only time I put on Christmas music. We were fueled by Pandora this year.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004

To your point...if you were going to a grocery store wouldn't you expect it to sell Milk? If it is something that is everywhere, don't you think a service that provides music should provide Christmas music during Christmas time?

vp719

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
iTunes radio is just awful. I've been trying to create my own Christmas stations on there for a few days and it's ridiculously bad. I made a TransSiberrian Orchestra station this morning, the second song was Toby Keith non-holiday country, third song was nickleback. What the hell are they doing? Hopefully these stations are actually holiday songs...

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Brilliant.... if only I lived in one of the TWO countries in the world where iTunes Radio was actually available...

Forget more stations, lets try for some more countries first please Apple.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
There was an article a while back that mentioned that Apple execs had no idea what Spotify was and thought iTunes radio would do the job to compete properly. So they spend 3 billion on beats to do what Spotify and Pandora have been doing for years.

Kind of crazy when you think about it.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
When my life is on the canadian iTunes, appletv's etc, its not super easy.

If I hand the remote to my wife and tell her if she wants to listen to iTunes radio, go, here, here and sign in with this username. And then if you want to listen to our stuff, go back and undo what you just did....results in a remote flying at my head.

This is apple, king of 'easy and streamlined', I should not have to jump through any hoops.

It's not Apple doing this, it's cross border media rights issues eh.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
This month is such a pain. I don't celebrate this silly holiday, and have really come to loath the hypocrisy. Inundated is right, I can't even listen to the radio (old, fm radio) in December.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
To your point...if you were going to a grocery store wouldn't you expect it to sell Milk? If it is something that is everywhere, don't you think a service that provides music should provide Christmas music during Christmas time?

my comment was directed more at those who seek it, not those who provide it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.