Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a newly published Apple patent application (via AppleInsider), Apple is investigating methods to offer an iPhone status sharing system in which users can check the individual "status" of other iPhone users before calling them, similar to the "Away" feature already present in most instant messaging systems. The patent application, which is simply titled "Methods to determine availability of user based on mobile phone status" and lists Devrim Varoglu and Swapnil R. Dave as its inventors, describes a system whereby a request from one user's mobile phone is transferred to a remote server over a cellular network, which requests the operating status of the second mobile phone.

Screen-Shot-2013-08-22-at-10.45.46-am.png
The operating status of the second mobile phone is then displayed on the first mobile phone as part of the contact information of the "remote user", giving the user a quick status update on whether or not that particular iPhone user is available.

The system would call upon several modules of both the device hardware and the operating system, as highlighted in the diagram filed in the patent above, such as the "operating mode" of the device (411), the user's time zone (412), the current GPS location (413), the received signal strength indicator (414), the condition of the device's Wi-Fi (415) and the battery charge level (416).

Screen-Shot-2013-08-22-at-10.50.41-am.png

This information would then be fed into a new "status sharing module", which would sit alongside the contacts module on both users' devices and the data would be transmitted across the network (the patent filing lists a cellular network, although it is presumed the new feature would also work over Wi-Fi as well) to a central registration module and phone status database. As in the case of iMessage, the new service would presumably be tied to the user's Apple ID or phone number in order to manage the statuses.

Although the patent application was filed back in February of last year, it has not yet been officially granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Apple notes that the feature would be useful to consumers because "incoming voice calls to mobile devices can be intrusive under certain situations" and it is "desirable to allow callees to screen calls and decide in advance whether the calls warrant answering."

Article Link: Apple Looking to Patent iPhone Status Sharing System

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Very interesting idea with the way that all the different data are aggregated.

But I expect the "privacy queens" to be up in arms about this. :rolleyes:

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
This would be nice to be notified that "Contact X is on wifi" so that I would easily know their eligible for FaceTime (audio) calls.

We'll see if this ever sees the light of day.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
No thanks. Unless its built with an off button. I reserve the right to screen my calls and lie to the caller about being busy because (insert reason).

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I am surprised that the NSA hasn't already pattened this. I mean dont they alread know what everyone's status is at all times? :eek::confused::D:cool:

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
Maybe I don't get it (not out with the realms of possibility!) but If I don't want to be contacted I don't answer. Or turn my phone off.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Seems interesting, but I would think battery consumption would increase if the status of your phone is constantly being reported (unless it already is and we don't know about it). And then if status is already being captured, not sure how this application would be allowed.

kevinpdoyle

macrumors member
May 2, 2012
This would be nice to be notified that "Contact X is on wifi" so that I would easily know their eligible for FaceTime (audio) calls.

We'll see if this ever sees the light of day.

Maybe with user set parameters, such as I set my phone to let others know I am facetime capable when on a specific wifi.

Maybe I don't get it (not out with the realms of possibility!) but If I don't want to be contacted I don't answer. Or turn my phone off.

While I see that I do like the idea of certain people (family and coworkers) knowing my preference for contact. Sometimes I would prefer to not be contacted but leave my phone on unsilenced in case someone has to call me. By setting an away message of sorts my wife could see that while im busy with this that or the other thing she can call me if x is happening. This is an option that would be nice to have available IMO.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Seems interesting, but I would think battery consumption would increase if the status of your phone is constantly being reported (unless it already is and we don't know about it). And then if status is already being captured, not sure how this application would be allowed.

By the looks of it the phone only reports changes in status to a cloud server so should not cause too much extra battery use as most of the time status stays the same. Could be a nice feature though.

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
You can sort of do a little of this already with iMessage. If you have a contact who's on iOS and the "send" button in Messages pops up green, it sometimes means they're offline. (This happens a lot here in NYC because people are in and out of the subway.)

timichas

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2013
I could see this as an extension of parental controls on iPhone already. Further, they could link it with the Do Not Disturb feature (expanding its functionality, of course), and make your iPhone's status an iOS-wide thing (Phone, iMessage, Contacts, Find Your Friends, FaceTime, etc.). Similarly, it could be set on a schedule, perhaps with more scheduling options.

I've thought for a long time being able to know someone's 'status' like this would have a very interesting impact on interaction. Like, would I share a particular YouTube video with so-and-so if I knew they weren't available? Or would I go out of my way to email someone I haven't seen in a while simply because I know they're available?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This would very cool from a "I'm calling you" feature. I can see what time it is where you are and remember not to call someone in LA at 6 AM EST because it's 3 AM their time.

Or I could see that someone only has 2 bars and so I can know the quality of the call is going to be low or that their phone is about to die so I need to keep my call shorter than otherwise.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
This is not dissimilar to the 'iMessage read' receipts. It's good for the initiator of the call (or message sender), but puts the receiver on the spot, a la: I know you're there, why don't you answer my bleepin' call.

I mean, you don't always want to, or can, turn off your phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.