Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shawnjcullen

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
South Wales
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I've been searching for an hour and couldn't find anything.

I use Apple Mail and keep getting emails marked as spam. Even from trusted senders. The email from Apple confirming my Apple TV 4 is being delivered tomorrow has been marked as Spam. Any idea why this is happening? Even more to the point any idea how to stop it?!

Thanks in advance.

Shawn

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I've been searching for an hour and couldn't find anything.

I use Apple Mail and keep getting emails marked as spam. Even from trusted senders. The email from Apple confirming my Apple TV 4 is being delivered tomorrow has been marked as Spam. Any idea why this is happening? Even more to the point any idea how to stop it?!

Thanks in advance.

Shawn

Just an errant spam detection algorithm, nothing else.

ctone

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
Unfortunately, you cannot turn off the Apple spam detectors when using an Apple email account (@me.com, @mac.com etc.) , and it doesn't seem to learn when you mark email that has been automatically placed in your Junk folder as "Not Junk". You only have the option to mark it is "Not Junk" using the web app as well.

Even worse, Apple sometimes rejects mail before it even reaches your Junk folder without you ever knowing that someone tried to email you. You never know how many emails might have not reached you. Of the 4 different email providers I currently use, Apple is the only one that doesn't allow you to turn off the spam filter, and it also is the only one that I have positively confirmed never receives emails from certain senders which the other accounts will consistently receive.

I contacted Apple about this, they said they had their engineers working on it, went back and forth a while, then they stopped responding to me.

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia

Thanks in advance.

Shawn

There's no spam filter in the Mail app. Any spam filtering is done on the server side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.