Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple earlier this week announced that Toronto will be one of ten major cities in North America that will support Apple Maps transit directions on iOS 9 in the fall, but after early testing we can confirm that the new routing option for bus, subway, light rail, train and ferry directions will actually extend well beyond the city limits and TTC to cover much of the Greater Toronto Area and Southern Ontario.

Apple-Maps-Transit-Canada.jpg
Apple Maps transit directions on iOS 9 beta working in Waterloo and Barrie

A thread posted on Reddit first pointed towards the Apple Maps transit acknowledgments page, which has been updated with several Canadian transit operators outside of Toronto, but we dug further and found that Apple Maps transit directions work in even more cities. We were able to receive bus, subway, light rail or train directions between over a dozen Canadian cities and towns throughout Southern Ontario listed below.

List of Supported Cities:
Mississauga: MiWay bus directions where service is provided in Mississauga. GO Transit bus and train directions also available for traveling between Mississauga and other Apple Maps-supported cities within the Greater Toronto Area and Southern Ontario.
Oakville: Oakville Transit bus directions where service is provided in Oakville. GO Transit bus and train directions also available for traveling between Oakville and other Apple Maps-supported cities within the Greater Toronto Area and Southern Ontario.
Brampton: Brampton Transit bus directions where service is provided in Brampton. GO Transit bus and train directions also available for traveling between Brampton and other Apple Maps-supported cities within the Greater Toronto Area and Southern Ontario.
York Region: York Region Transit (YRT) bus directions and Viva rapid transit directions where service is provided in Aurora, Markham, Newmarket, Richmond Hill, Vaughan and other areas within York Region. GO Transit bus and train directions also available for traveling between York Region and other Apple Maps-supported cities within the Greater Toronto Area and Southern Ontario. There are also directions for TTC routes operating between York Region and subway stations in Toronto.
City of Hamilton: Hamilton Street Railway (HSR) bus directions where service is provided in Hamilton, Ancaster, Dundas and Stoney Creek. GO Transit bus and train directions also available for traveling between Hamilton and other Apple Maps-supported cities within the Greater Toronto Area and Southern Ontario.
Burlington: Burlington Transit bus directions where service is provided in Burlington. GO Transit bus and train directions also available for traveling between Burlington and other Apple Maps-supported cities within the Greater Toronto Area and Southern Ontario.
Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge: Grand River Transit (GRT) bus directions where service is provided in Kitchener, Waterloo and Cambridge. GO Transit bus and train directions where service is provided for traveling between Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge and other Apple Maps-supported cities within the Greater Toronto Area and Southern Ontario.
Guelph: Guelph Transit bus directions where service is provided in Guelph. GO Transit bus and train directions also available for traveling between Guelph and other Apple Maps-supported cities within the Greater Toronto Area and Southern Ontario.
Niagara Region: Niagara Falls Transit, St. Catharines Transit, Welland Transit, Niagara Region Transit and WEGO bus directions where service is provided in Niagara Falls, St. Catharines, Welland and Niagara Region. GO Transit bus and train (summer only) directions where service is provided for traveling between Niagara Falls and other Apple Maps-supported cities within the Greater Toronto Area and Southern Ontario.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Apple Maps Transit Directions Work Across Much of Greater Toronto Area

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
I rather them focus on negotiating Apple pay with our banks (especially TD) than give me this..

You can find transit information in other ways.. It shouldn't be a priority whatsoever.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Why is Apple still lagging so far behind on this, compared to other companies like Google?

Because Google has been at this for quite some time now. They should be ahead... They should be far, far ahead.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
You say that with confidence, do you know something we don't?

It's been rumoured.. Also I know a couple of friends in different banks who are working on such / related projects... ( unconnected with each other ) November time frame.

I don't think they are BS'ing me and have no reason to. They also think it's pretty cool.

If it doesn't happen I'd be extremely disappointed given their insight.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
It's been rumoured.. Also I know a couple of friends in different banks who are working on such / related projects... ( unconnected with each other ) November time frame.

I don't think they are BS'ing me and have no reason to. They also think it's pretty cool.

If it doesn't happen I'd be extremely disappointed given their insight.

Awesome thanks for the insight :)

I was disappointed it wasn't announced at WWDC.

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
I wish Apple success in the map effort. A lot of improvement has been made, but it is still not close to the quality of Google maps. Just today, I had to go somewhere. Typed the address for the place (nothing new, some place that probably has been there for over 20 years). Apple maps dropped the pin on the police station, at least a block from the correct location. Google, spot on. I know this is only anecdotal, but I believe I've had many more negative experiences with accuracy and navigation with Apple maps than with Google, in multiple places. On the other hand I like the graphics from Apple maps, it is just the content. However, as I said. I've noticed a lot of improvements and lately they've been responsive to any errors I have reported to them. For me it is great that I have the choice of Apple or Google maps.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
I got all excited when I saw niagara region. I really need to read more carefully. It's a shame that my Canadian neighbors will get transit info before me. Not that I need it, or that there's much to know.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'm surprised Boston isn't an initial city for this... Apple has been badly ignoring the Silicon Valley of the East Coast even since they stopped having events in Boston...

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
I got all excited when I saw niagara region. I really need to read more carefully. It's a shame that my Canadian neighbors will get transit info before me. Not that I need it, or that there's much to know.

Right. It's a real shame. Because every American backwater town is more important than the fifth most populous district in North America.
That's the sort of attitude that really endears Americans to the rest of the world :rolleyes:

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I'm surprised Boston isn't an initial city for this... Apple has been badly ignoring the Silicon Valley of the East Coast even since they stopped having events in Boston...
That's weird, considering Hartford has transit directions in the beta.

Cronowerx

Suspended
Feb 23, 2015
EUROPE
Transit details for GTA - Very nice !

Apple pay is coming to Canada in November.

I really hope you are right.... I tweeted BMO bank after the WWDC keynote and all I got was
"No updates at this point, Stay tuned for future announcements."

Personally I don't care about transit, I've had a car since I was 19. Just give me Apple Pay, 50GB free iCloud storage, Apple News and I'd be happy.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Well, I am pretty vocal about all the times where Apple (and others) leave Canada out of the mix. I think this happens way too often, and many times without a good reason.

But here's one time where I will actually benefit from the work first out of the gate. So, for the record, and to acknowledge it isn't *always* bad, thanks to Apple for including this for Southern Ontario, and also while I'm here, for making the new Apple Music work in Canada too.

Maybe maps will become extremely useful to me for the first time. Can't wait to find out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.