Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps has been updated with comprehensive transit data in several higher populated areas of Nevada, enabling iPhone users to navigate with public transportation directions throughout the Silver State.

apple-maps-transit-las-vegas-800x450.jpg

Newly supported areas include Las Vegas, including the nearby cities of North Las Vegas and Henderson, as well as the state capital Carson City and the Reno-Sparks metropolitan area in Western Nevada.

In Las Vegas, Apple Maps can provide directions for the Las Vegas Monorail and RTC Transit buses, including The Deuce and The SDX operating in and between the Las Vegas Strip and Downtown Las Vegas.

Many popular destinations are supported in Las Vegas, including McCarran International Airport and the Las Vegas Convention Center.

RTC Transit bus routes extend to North Las Vegas and Henderson, while RTC Washoe bus directions are available in and between Carson City, Reno, and Sparks. Jump Around Carson (JAC) bus routes are also supported within Carson City.

Apple Maps can also provide directions for Silverado Mainline buses, which travel between each of the cities, such as Reno to Las Vegas.

apple-maps-transit-reno-800x450.jpg

Apple Maps gained a Transit tab in iOS 9. The feature lags several years behind Google Maps, but Apple's public transportation support is exhaustive, mapping all station entrances and listing departure times.

At launch, the feature was limited to Baltimore, Berlin, Boston, Chicago, London, Los Angeles, Mexico City, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Sydney, Toronto, and over 300 cities in China. Since then, Apple has been working to expand support for public transportation to other cities around the world.

Newer additions include Atlanta, Calgary, Columbus, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Honolulu, Houston, Kansas City, Madrid, Manchester, Melbourne, Miami, Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Montréal, New Orleans, Paris, Portland, Pittsburgh, Prague, Rio de Janeiro, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Diego, Seattle, and Singapore.

For a complete list of cities with Apple Maps transit, visit the iOS Feature Availability page on Apple's website.

(Thanks, Bill!)

Article Link: Apple Maps Transit Directions Now Available in Las Vegas and Western Nevada

Reactions: jjm3

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Let me guess: this is where Eddy Cue's family resides (and the greatest scarcity of inhabitants coincides with the greatest scarcity of visitors)

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Cool that they added it :) I go to Reno/Carson City a couple times a year, though I don't know if I'll ever use much public transit there. It's kind of a big open vast area that demands excessive car use :p

Looking at that map, though, the road between Reno and Las Vegas is ridiculous. I hope they go through with building Interstate 11 between those two cities. It's in the works, as far as I know :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.