Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iMac-Late-2009-250x208.jpg
Apple has updated its vintage and obsolete products list with various older products that have not been manufactured for at least five years, including select Macs manufactured between early 2008 and late 2009, the second-generation Time Capsule and the 32GB original iPod touch.

Apple products on the vintage and obsolete list are no longer eligible for hardware service, with a few exceptions. Apple defines vintage products as those that have not been manufactured for more than five and less than seven years ago, while obsolete products are those that were discontinued more than seven years ago.

Only the new additions are reflected below.

Macintosh products vintage in the U.S. and Turkey and obsolete in Asia-Pacific, Canada, Europe, Japan, and Latin America

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009)
iMac (27-inch, Late 2009)
MacBook Air (Mid 2009)
Mac Pro (Early 2009)
Time Capsule 802.11n (2nd generation)

Macintosh products obsolete in the U.S., Asia-Pacific, Canada, Europe, Japan, and Latin America

Apple Cinema Display (23-inch, DVI, Early 2007)
Apple Cinema Display (30-inch DVI)
MacBook (13-inch, Early 2008)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2008)
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2008)
Time Capsule 802.11n (1st generation)

iPod products obsolete in the U.S., Asia-Pacific, Canada, Europe, Japan, and Latin America

iPod touch with Jan SW UPG 32GB

Article Link: Apple Obsoletes Select Early 2008 to Late 2009 Macs

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
The headline is misleading. My workhorse mid-2007 iMac is only 1 full year obsolete.
;):apple:;)

Reactions: Morod

mbc2237

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2012
I think it is interesting that the iPod with 32GB of storage is being listed as obsolete but here we are, still getting 16GB storage from brand new devices. I know it has been beat to death but therein lies another rub, why is this something that can even be mentioned? 5400rpm platter drives. etc.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Don't despair if you're new to the obsolete list. My iMac (my main computer) has been labeled "Obsolete" by Apple for nearly a year now and it still runs current software acceptably well. It's running OS X 10.11 El Capitan without problems.

The 2008 MacBook Air started feeling pretty useless sometime around 2012... it's just not capable of running current software anymore. It still runs old software okay, but I'm using it less and less and my iPhone more with each passing year... probably going to replace it with a new rMBP once Apple refreshes it next year.

The headline is misleading. My workhorse mid-2007 iMac is only 1 full year obsolete.
;):apple:;)

Here I thought I was the sole person still using a mid-2007 iMac as their main computer.

Reactions: Morod

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
On the laptops, does that also include installing new batteries ?

Probably. I tried to take a mid 2009 MBP for battery replacement about three weeks ago, but they told me they no longer have the batteries for it. They suggested I go to a third party.

I thought it was strange, because I'm pretty sure the current non retina MBP uses the same battery.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Probably. I tried to take a mid 2009 MBP for battery replacement about three weeks ago, but they told me they no longer have the batteries for it. They suggested I go to a third party.

I thought it was strange, because I'm pretty sure the current non retina MBP uses the same battery.

Thanks for the info, I have a 2010 MBP that needs a new battery. What third party did they recommend ?

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
And my 2009 13" MacBook Pro continues to be the best computer purchase I've ever made. Still use it for work, causal Lightroom editing (with patience), and editing in Pixelmator.

Can't watch Netflix on it but that's about the only thing I might use it for that it can't do. Also the 30-minute battery is annoying at times.

EDIT: Just realized the 2009 13" MBP was already on the vintage list.

Reactions: kitsap2

extrachrispy

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Sacramento Mountains, New Mexico
My 2009 MBA runs El Capitan just fine, so long as I keep an eye on memory in-use (it only has 2GB).

I'm going to keep my late-2008 Mac Pro running (El Cap, Server, nVIDIA Maxwell board + 4K monitor) as long as it's economically feasible.

BrotherJerome

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2015
Raleigh, NC
On the laptops, does that also include installing new batteries ?

I have a Mac Pro 4,1 and it's very easy to work on (i.e. I couldn't see ever taking it into an Apple store).

I agree. Short of frying the motherboard or swapping out the CPU(s), almost everything on the classic Mac Pro is quite accessible and easy to change/fix. Plus, the damn thing is too heavy to drag into a store.

Reactions: scott911

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I think this list is awesome because almost every Mac/Apple Device that I have is either vintage or obsolete!

My wife has a Late 2009 iMac (recently added as we all know), a 8GB iPhone 3GS, and an iPod video from 2004.

I have: PowerMac G5 Late 2005, PowerBook G4, iBook G3, 3rd generation Airport extreme, my 32GB iPhone 3GS, and my iPod video from 2004.

The only things that don't seem to be either are the iPad 1s that still work and my wife's iPad mini 2.

Awesome.

swm

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2013
My 2009 MBA runs El Capitan just fine, so long as I keep an eye on memory in-use (it only has 2GB).

no need to worry. the current i5 based early 2015 MBA has 4G RAM, but the intel 6000 integrated gfx snatches 1.56GB from it right at the start. so what remains is less than 2.5GB, which is just a half gig more than the mid 2009 MBA's 2GB. and the old one had geforce 9400M with dedicated memory.
btw i just sold my 2009 MBA. it was pristine, not a single scratch on it. and i can confirm it ran el cap pretty well.
even the 6 yrs old battery was capable for 2.5-4 hrs of operation.

from the design point of view, the 2009 MBA was the best. i do love my recent MBA, it's far superior in many ways, esp the battery, but the one from 2009 looks like a one of a kind compared to the new ones.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
It is hard to tell but is the White Unibody Macbook on this list?
No it's not. If you look at what's on there now, most of it was made either in 2009 or earlier. Your machine is awesome and you should keep that for as long as possible. So upgrade the RAM, if you haven't already done so, and get a SSD in there at some point as well. PLUS, if you update the EFI, that machine should accept and run 16GB RAM. Amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.